Most # of attempts before summiting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

most # of attempts you've taken to summit a peak

• 5 or more tries ( obsessed!)

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 4 (determined)

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • 3 ( had to go back twice to make it)

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • 2 (struck out once, made it next try)

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • 1 (never got spanked)

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
I've been thinking about this for a while, since I'm not doing lists though I track where I've been I'm sure I missing something:

Lost Pond in the ADK's via roaring Brook. 3 try's. This one suffered due to poor choice of partners and timing. The trip that finally did it was wonderful. This is one of the few walks I look forward to repeating.

Lone-Rocky-Balsam-Friday in the Catskills. First time, the not up to snuff NY/NJ TC maps and lack of experience meant we couldn't find the heard path from Table Mnt. The second time, 12 hours of spring snow kept us in the lean to. The third time lack of a watch ( I love timeless trips) and a late night before had us retreating from Lone in the dark. Time 4 saw us on Lone, but the thick evergreens between Lone and Rocky freaked a first timer. On time five we had a wonderful end of winter backpack of Rocky-Balsam-Friday.

The Bonds. The present problem. First time saw me madly digging cat holes after every meal. Time number 2 saw every type of precipitation except hail in a period of a few hours as well as raging rivers and creeks. Time number 3 has me saying OK to a weekend in a cabin instead of another attempt, stomach acted up just days before, though I think that may have been psychosomatic as well as a reaction to antibiotics. I'm considering saving this one for December at this point a choice that may lead to another attempt on the list.

And mavs, you are the man. My father wasn't an outdoor person and my grandfather was tied to the ocean instead of the mountains. I would have killed to have been taken out on a walk like that as a kid. Watching horseshoe crabs mate at sunset in the bay is pretty neat when you're 6 but it's not Indian Pass.