Most # of attempts before summiting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

most # of attempts you've taken to summit a peak

• 5 or more tries ( obsessed!)

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 4 (determined)

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • 3 ( had to go back twice to make it)

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • 2 (struck out once, made it next try)

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • 1 (never got spanked)

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
Fred, I find the Santanoni Range to be charming... it certainly lured me there 4 times! I'll consider the "invitation" (or was that a dare?) to join you on your fourth try at those elusive peaks.

But first, I have to finish my 46 on June 10th. After that, I just need the blessing of my very patient wife. Hey, do you guys want to hike up Calkins Brook to join me on my hike to #46?

Giant

I have climed most of the peaks in VT, NH and NY I have only been beaten by one...Giant. I took the Roaring Brook trail in April and got beaten on the way up by rotten footing and a very scared partner. It was my first ascent of Giant and when I came back and summited the mountain months later I found that I was no more than .2 Miles from the summit.

Marshall on 4th attempt...

First try was on Memorial Day weekend 1978 - never got to Herbert Brook. I must have been on another creek bed. Rain turned to snow overnight and the attempt was aborted.

Second time - Easter weekend 2003 - weather turned to rain once I got to the Iroquois pass col. My hiking partner was too tired and we left. By time we got to the Loj the sun was shining and it was 60 degrees.

Third try - June 14, 2003. It had rained torrentially the night before. Going up Herbert Brook in 45 degree weather and the brook was flowing extremely high. It was getting late in the day, we were only about 1/3 the way up, my son's feet were soaked and cold, so we camped at Flowed Land. It rained in the AM so we packed out. Of course, the sun was shining at the Upper Works lot.

Fourth and successful - July 5, 2003. I was determined. My brother and son with me, a real piece of cake. At the top, we were in a cloud but it was nice finally getting there. Again, sun shining by time we got to the Upeer Works lot. This was my #42 of 46.

I really did like this mountain.

Misery loves company!!!!!

Fred;

I admit my struggle to finally get Carson & Hough and your valient attempts against incredibly bad luck in the Santanonis were the inspiration for this thread. But you have to admit there are some great stories being posted here! I would even go back to Couchie just for the pleasure of seeing you make it!

KZ

E-town #4 and Spotted. First time forgot my map and didn't trust my navagation skills. Second time was in the winter. I fell through the ice on the river, very cold, had to retreat. Third time, I got to the base of them and a cold downpour made us turnback once again. #4 was the lucky time. I think they had it out for me. But I won.

Got Adden Mtn in VT http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.54083&lon=-71.67944 on 5th day in the area:
from SE did Halibut and Sheridan but decided it was too far to add Adden
from NW got Cow Pond Mtn but once again seemed too far away
from NE the road was too rough too far away so did something else instead (does this count as a try?)
from S the road was posted so did something else instead (does this count as a try?)
went back to SE and got it by not doing anything else first

Have tried James Peak in CO from 3 directions and still haven't got it, need to find day without thunderstorms

Most attempts on Couchie-3

Well it did take me three attempts to get this Adirondack peak. Once I was with a hiking companion who got sick and had to leave and I didn't let him got alone. The second time, just the next day, I tried again and stopped to help a group- too long and boring a story, but put it this way- panic never helps. So, months later I felt lucky. It was fall, I went alone and there were few people hanging around needing rescue so I was finally able to get it.

I never resent having to stop and bail if the conditions are not right. The mountain will, most likely, be there another day. (Thinking of Mt. St. Helens, etc.)

PS- I hate calling Couchie Couchie, but I am such a bad speller ...

2 so far

So far it's only two, and that was Algonquin. I attempted it on an October day not expecting to need crampons. Bagged it this winter on leap year day.

Three times working the charm seems to be a most popular response here. My toughie was Allen. It was the only Northeast 4000 peak in winter that I had to repeat ... and repeat ... (3) times! The first shot was when the raging Opalescent River took out the suspension bridge. The second time was warm, wet, and foggy. We ended up in a parallel drainage bushwhack and got soaked through and through. Luckily we bailed (literally) before any major temperature change occurred. And the THIRD ... I was nearly ready to kiss the kanister .... I was so elated!

Third time works the cham for Snow Chain of Ponds.
1st time missed the trail head and climbed mountain next to it--gee look at that fire tower over there!! Duh!
2nd time too early in srping. The only piece of gear I needed but didn't have was hip waders. The pond was flooded way over.
3rd time--Made it without a hitch.

Twice for East Kennebago, got rained out the first time. Wet and hypothermic.

Twice for Tom in the Whites. Tried a winter ascent but the weather turned bad and had to bivy for the night. Bad weather continued the next day, but I made it back to the car safely.

Nadine

Now that I think about it — if anyone out there is still interested — Susan and I climbed Algonquin twice without being able to go on to Iroquois (first time, fog; second time, ice). The third time, with my son, Cameron, along, we made it. That was the same hike on which we rescued a girl from the top of Wright.

So my previous vote of "three" still stands.

3 times for Madison, and I still haven't made it. :( :confused:

So I optimistically voted 4, assuming that the next attempt, sometime this summer, will be successful.

Steve

Last edited:
I've been pretty lucky. Just once at Thomas Cole Mt. in the Catskills because of a quick moving thunderstorm. :)

Took me 3 attempts to bag a W46er. First we went for Colden. Sub zero temps with 3 season gear makes for a shortened trip. Second time we went for Marcy. The gear was better but -30 is cold no matter what you do (the stoves froze). Third time was a charm, it warmed to -15, and we daypacked Whiteface after the failed Marcy attempt. We will keep going for Marcy every year in early January. :D

-percious

Shoot, I forgot one. I guess its 4 attempts then. We tried for Gothics up the ore bed trail early March 2003, but we missed it because by the time we got to the top a storm rolled in, and we hadn't taken our snowshoes for the saddle.

-percious

4 Times for Equinox. Don't ask me why, it's a long story,but now i call it home.;)

2x's a winner on Wright

Well- this won't set any heads spinning- but I thought I'd tell this tale-

While getting my winter peaks I found Wright the most difficult of the 47- just because of the bad weather that frequently visits that peak.
An intrepid friend and I tried to bag it in Dec. one year, but the winds were so high, 70mph with gusts of 100 or more, that we had to turn back just above tree line. Actually, to be fair- I had to turn back, my friend made it. I literally felt as if I might become airborne. When I climbed back down in to the safety of the tree line I found that my clothing (jacket and top layers) had almost been pulled off my body.

We returned a week or two later for a second attempt and finally made it, but not before we both got some spots of frost bite on our faces. The winds were much better, 40-50mph - but the temperatures were below zero.

I know alot of people don't count MacNaughton- but I am one of those that do. This peak took me three attempts- two of them when I was not in good health but the last and finally attempt made it all worth while. It was a beautiful and perfect winter weekend and I was alone, feeling great and put in my own route (up the drainage of the Wallface ponds) that I thought was both interesting and different. Ah- winter!

persistent or foolish

Adams in the winter took me 8 tries (excruciatingly bad luck with the weather) then summited on a perfectly calm day.

Jefferson is probably most famous in the whites for frustration; a friend (name withheld for good reason) who has thus far made ten unsuccessful attempts on Jefferson.

Do trips to the Bonds where one or more peaks remainunclimbed count?

Lower Wolf-Jaw

The first time we hiked the range from Gothics, Upper and Armstrong and ran out of time for Lower. 2nd time I was with someone that could not make it. 3rd time last summer and when I got to the top I was not that impressed with the summit....glad this one is out of the way!