Most Peaks in one day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the Whites -- Monroe, Franklin, Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson Webster in a day.

The ADK- Macomb, South Dix, East Dix, Hough, Dix (day)

Haystack, Basin, Saddleback (day)

Colvin, Blake, Dial, Nippletop (day)

Sawteeth, Upper and Lower Wolf, Armstrong (Winter Day)

Algonquin, Wright, Iroquios, Marshall (day hike in Winter & Summer )

Gothics, Upper and Lower Wolf Jaw, Armstrong (day)

All back when I was younger and more foolish. All of these hikes done in around 12-13 hours.

Most peaks in a day

A Presi Traverse in July starting on Webster Jackson trail up to Mt Jackson,past the hut ,up to Peirce,all the others,exiting down on Pine Link from Madison...23.3 MJ

Probably 4 or 5.

4- Both wolf Jaws, Armstrong & Gothics
4- Dix, Hough, South Dix & Macomb
5- I think the Tongue Range at Lake George has 5 peaks, although I do not know if they are named.
4-S.Presi's-Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce, Frankin to Crawford notch
32,633 - bumps on the way to Couchsachraga & return ?

I know we're not talking about records, but the thread has me wondering what the record is for the Adirondack peaks in a 24-hour period? I seem to recall 18 or 19 peaks (46er peaks) within a 24-hour span.

Last edited:
The record for climbing all 46 Peaks is a little over 2 days I believe which was done a few years ago, but some guy name Cavedog I think.

Correction looking it up on web site under "Record for Climbing Adirondack 46 Peaks," it was done in 3 days 18 hours 14 minutes by Ted Keizer from Oregon.

I did the Pemi loop last summer with my cousin. Camped at Big Rock, up at 4:00am, started at 5:00 from Lincoln Woods, back to the car at 8:38pm.

Flume
Liberty
Little Haystack
Lincoln
Lafayette
Garfield
Galehead
South Twin
Guyot
Bond
Bondcliff

Crazy weather, especially considering it was July. Beautiful morning to zero viz on top of Lafayette, cool and overcast at Galehead, chilly wind on South Twin, gusting winds with clear skies across Guyot, and pouring rain coming down Bondcliff.

Can't wait to do it again this year, but maybe as an overnight to fit in West Bond, North Twin, Zealand. I'd LOOOOOOVE to do a full Presi Traverse this year at some point.

Matt

Last edited:
Ted Keizer is Cavedog. Check out his website HERE. The dude is amazing. He might be able to pass PIN PIN.

nine in the whites

Avalon, Field, Tom, Zealand, Guyot, S.Twin, Galehead and then the EVIL Garfield Ridge to Garfield and Lafayette and down to Lafayette C.G.
My original plan was to go over Lincoln and L.Haystack but the Garfield Ridge was more strenuous than I figured on (read:I pussed out)
Left Crawford at 4:30 in the morning and 24 miles later it was 8:00 pm and I was at Lafayette Campground with that 1000 yard-stare......
I am not as proud as I was once was; I am still amazed at the effort of Tim Seaver, adding Carter Notch and southern Prezis to the beginning of that route AND Lonesome Lake to the end AND in winter conditions!!!

I agree. That Garfield ridge is the worst - especially towards the end of a long hike!

It depends on what counts as a peak...

I think out to Bondcliff from Zealand trailhead and back in a day covers maybe 12 summits if you count Zeacliff and the Hump between Guyot and West Bond. Either way it was a lovely 20 mile day.

But then the first time I did Wildcat Ridge I thought I was on a dozen summits also ;) :D

A few to remember

In the Whites, we did Jefferson, Adams, and Madison in a day. (the next day we did Washington)

In the Dacks, I did Pyramid, Gothics, Upper and Lower from Ausable club. That's about as much as I want to do in a day.

Nine

Also on a Presis Traverse last year - Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Clay, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce and Jackson. The toughest part was driving back to Sherbrooke that night after pigging out in Gorham ! Although Clay is not an official summit, it feels like one when you get there...

By day I mean from the time you get up, to the time you go to sleep, not including naps.

23 4k peaks in about 41 hours, during the last stretch of the Wild Whites Marathon - starting at 4:03 am July 8 at the Hancock Trailhead, finishing at 8:51 July 9th on the summit of Owl's Head. This is certainly stretching what you could call a "day", I admit.

Hancock, S. Hancock, Passaconaway, Whiteface, Middle and North Tripyramid, East Osceola and Osceola, Tecumseh, Moosilauke, Cannon, N. Kinsman, S. Kinsman, Hale, Zealand, Bond, Bondcliff, West Bond, South Twin, North Twin, Galehead, Garfield, and Owl's Head.

I did nap on the car rides betweeen trailheads, and took a 10 minute snooze below West Bond :)

Someone PLEASE tell me that Bob Marshall did NOT carry the pack he is pictured with on the web page that details his 14 peaks in a day venture!

Bob's Day Pack?

southern Presies ( from Nauman) Pierce, Ike, Franklin? (more like a bump) Monroe, Washington.

Windblown ski area to Watatic (Wapack Trail) but that was just a bunch of very small peaks.

Someone PLEASE tell me that Bob Marshall did NOT carry the pack he is pictured with on the web page that details his 14 peaks in a day venture!

Well, I was told that my great-great grandfather, Earl Covey carried a cast iron pot bellied stove on his back 25 miles into the woods when setting up a hunting camp or something like that.

Men were made of different stuff back then.

(but holy mother of pearl, that pack is huge!)

ok, other rules. You have to hike the entire day. Car rides dont count (in the spirit of Bob Marshall). Of course, im sure some of you will despise this, and point out that you cant do the peaks with new fangled technology such as polyester and rubber. But I do think the peaks have to be done under your own power. 23 peaks in 41 hours is quite impressive. Anyone want to join me in my quest to break the record for 46ers all on foot? (probably won't happen for many years because I won't climb Colden until my son Colden is old enough to do it under his own power.) I figure i could do it in 5 days... I have to climb all the peaks first though.

Cavedog has a support team that he utilizes in all of his marathon treks. He has cars taking him from trailhead to trailhead, people supplying water/food whatnot. I would think that 5 days for the whole 46 is very close to the limit, if not a little ambitious. Some peaks are so removed from the rest (i.e. Whiteface and Esther...others I can't think of...) that it would take a good deal of time just getting from trailhead to trailhead.

What kind of rules would you apply to your quest?

Would you use a vehicle to go between trailheads, or would you park and do the whole 46 on foot from car to car? What about a support group? Would you have people delivering food and water for you, or would you want to be unsupported? (Caching food? Bear Canisters?)

There are so many things going through my head right now, have to cut back on the caffeine...