Mount Chocorua, February 1974!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnbill

Reaction score
Well, after seeing Askus3 do something similar last year, I found an old set of slides from one of my early winter trips to the Whites and had them scanned. The results can be seen here.

My hiking partners, Donny and Rob, were old high school buddies (Go Vikings!), though we were all sophomores in college during this trip. This was, I think, out last trip together before we all went our separate ways. Donny later was the best man at my wedding and Rob moved down to Cape Cod where he is a carpenter.

The photos pretty much speak for themselves. You'll notice there is no fleece to be seen and very little nylon. Yes, we hiked in blue jeans, flannel shirts and cotton long johns. No snowshoes, crampons or ice axes. We carried an enormous canvas canopy tent that must of weighed 30 pounds. But we had a blast and this was one of the few times I carried a camera.

I haven't been back to Chocorua since this trip, so I'd appreciate help with the naming of landmarks.

Hope you enjoy this blast from the past.

Thanks for the pix Turnbill. They're excellent. The gear changes, but the mountains and the smiles stay the same. I have a bunch of old slides that I now may have to scan.

One of my regrets: I have literally no hiking pictures from my younger days. Never really took pictures (one of the luxurie$ I went without, growing up). About the only pics I have are from a winter trip to Mt Adams summit in 1979 taken with a 110.

Hey Bill, nice legs:D

Thanks for the compliment Sherp and thanks for the landmark names el-bagr.

If anyone else notices misnamed or unnamed features, I'd appreciate hearing your comments.

Hey Turnbill, I guess it was more like 1978 but I have almost the same set of pictures of a trip to Chocura. Red backpacks, jeans, leather boots and sweatshirts. There's a picture of my friend Benny at the big boulder, scenery shots are almost the same and the picture in the parking lot. We used to drive up the night before, sleep in the car too and go up the next morning, (usually hung over). I always kept these photos around because of the great memories. Thanks

Hey Turnbill, Those are awsome pics! I love the old gear. It brings back memories of my Boyscout days.