Mount Madison Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was doing trail maintenance on Webster Cliff when a group of late teens or early twentysomethings were heading up the trail. I briefly chatted with them and asked their destination. They said that they were heading to Mizpah and asked if the hut was first come, first serve. I explained that the hut was by reservation only and that Nauman tentsite was first come, first serve. After they left, I couldn’t help but wonder why a group of hikers heading to a hut on a holiday weekend wouldn’t have done even the slightest amount of research prior to heading out? Then I thought back to my youth and sort of understood.

MadRiver said:
Then I thought back to my youth and sort of understood.

Yes indeed, Mad River!
I enjoy reading/participating in these discussions and my only hope is that inexperienced hikers will learn a lot from them and experienced folks will not only be able to share their hard earned wisdom but acquire even more knowledge to keep safe in the mountains.
Often I laugh when I read some of these escapades, not at the unfortunates who could have died up there, but rather at myself because I could have been one of them on many more than one occasion. And to think there were no cells phones back then. It was live and learn.
I solo hiked from day one and didn't blink an eye. After all I wasn't really alone. The "beagle" and "sheepdog" (lame as could be) were at my side.
What could possibly go wrong and if it did we would survive. No big deal.Fully attired in cotton and a PVC rainjacket. Carried a compass but had narry a clue what to do with it. I though it was real neat looking on my pack. It commanded "respect". From the wildlife I guess. They couldn't talk to devulge my dark secrets.
I said this before. It was really getting read the riot act from the ranger in the MT. W. Obs. that sobered me up after my little train ride to the summit. I know that he had me pegged already as "very likely to need a rescue" in the not too distant future. I probably owe my life to him for taking the time to warn me.
Sometimes I really miss the arrogance and ignorance of youth. I was so carefree back then. Invincible. I suppose we all grow up and I'm safer in the mountains now but I look back fondly at my days of reckless abandon.Ignorance was truly bliss until I found out "other...wise"!

"RESCUE ME"

"Is it safe to say?" (c'mon,c'mon)

"Was it right to leave?" (c'mon,c'mon)

"Will I ever learn?" (c'mon,c'mon)

"Things were good when we were young."

king tut said:
after helping carry a girl down the mt, found out that she probably only had a sprained knee or ankle!!

This took considerable time and manpower from lots of people that sacrificed their day to help them out. I was happy to help, b/c I enjoy things like that. But come on... The reason I volunteered is b/c several people have died on the mt, and i didn't want to add another to the list.

Sprains, while not life-threatening, can be extremely painful, often as or more painful than a break. I sprained my knee once (very badly- not hiking) and there was no way I could have walked 2 feet, let alone down a mountain, even with assistance.

So, I'm sure that person you helped carry out was very grateful for the help.

Let's be careful about grading the severity of injuries and how people react to them. I would certainly think one would do everything in their power to get themselves down without assistance, but I suppose we all have different tolerences for pain.

Makes me think of "This? Tis only a flesh wound!" :D

I have been away from a computer for a bit and today is the first I heard of this. Interesting reading all the critical comments. Back in the 70's when I started hiking I never heard of the AMC, RMC, ADK, WOC, etc. I didn't even know you could buy maps. A friend and I heard about places in NH where you could walk in and camp. It was an article in the local newspaper with some trail names, basic directions, etc. You could walk to the top of a mountain, camp out with a tent and be a rugged outdoorsman. So we went to some local place (Zayre's or maybe Richs dept. store, I can't remember), bought a couple of cheap sleeping bags, frame packs, the cheapest tent they had. For food we had some canned stuff, some slim jims, etc. We wore jeans, brought cut-off jean shorts, nylon windbreakers (no rain gear), sweatshirts, sneakers. The stove we had was something that screwed onto one of those small propane tanks. Add to that some JD, a bag of weed, a couple of packs of smokes and we were all set to party. We climbed Mt. Liberty, had no idea we had to pay, thought we were getting ripped off at first cause sleeping in the woods should be free. We crossed Franconia Ridge, got caught in the rain. Were amazed to see a house with people living in it on Lafayette and walked right by it. Slept in the woods somewhere near the hut that night. Instead of going down the Bridle Path the next day we went the wrong way and ended up miles from where we parked and hitched back to the car. And I hiked with that gear for another year or so before I ever bought maps. I was only just a tiny bit more prepared a couple of years later when my ex and I did the NE section of the AT. Still wearing cotton, but we did upgrade our windbreakers for ponchos and we did have the guide books.

So they made a dumb mistake. I've made plenty. That could have been me and my friends 30 years ago.

sleeping bear said:
Sprains, while not life-threatening, can be extremely painful, often as or more painful than a break.
Differential diagnosis of sprains and breaks can require X-rays. Safer to assume that it is a break in the field, transport, and diagnose in town.

Doug

I agree. While in the Army I ran off a cliff at night trying to escape my pursuers (MP's), and injured my ankle. Any they thought was originally a sprain turned out to be a fracture, the doctors mis-read the X-rays and I needed surgery to correct it later on. So even with the right tools it's hard to tell sometimes.