Mount Mansfield Loop, 7/17/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
July 17, 2010: Mount Mansfield Loop

Trails: Long Trail, Adams Apple Trail, Forehead Bypass, South Link, Haselton Trail

Summits: Mount Mansfield

Hikers: Solo

Sue decided to take the weekend off from hiking in favor of some family time. I decided it was a good opportunity to finish off the Vermont 4K’s. I had only Mansfield left and it became my primary hike target for the weekend.

My plan was to be on the road from Nashua around 5:00am which would have me on-trail around 8:30 – 9:00am. I woke up early and decided to head out early. A 6:30am on-trail start time meant I’d be home by late afternoon if there were no problems along the way.

The plan was a simple one, hike the loop of Mansfield in a counter-clockwise direction and include the Adams Apple and Forehead loops. I parked in the roadside lot just north of the south Long Trail trailhead on Route 108. At the end of the hike I would have a short road walk back to the trailhead lot from the ski area which is the ending location for Haselton Trail.

The conditions at the start were pretty good with a cool temperature but the humidity was high. It took little time to have my shirt soaked with perspiration. The trails were all generally clear and dry. Some of the areas of rock slabs required extra care due to the moss and the slipping and sliding that comes with it. I managed to settle into a relatively comfortable pace and climbed to the spur that leads to Taft Lodge with very limited stops along the way. I felt my progress was pretty slow but upon checking I found myself right on a “book time” pace. That was a surprise. I knew the hike was short, I started a lot earlier than planned, and there was no hurry to complete the hike.

Roughly .3 miles past Taft Lodge I came to the first of the side trips – the Adams Apple Loop. At this elevation the trees were generally gone. Unfortunately, the great views that should have been available were obscured by clouds blowing through from the west. There were occasional views but nothing long-distance. I made the turn and headed out. The loop only adds .3 miles and under the prevailing conditions nothing else, there were no views.

I continued the climb to The Chin (actual summit). The final .3 miles and couple hundred feet in elevation has some interesting scrambles that would probably be a real test if wet. As I made this final climb the wind really picked up and it was cool. My shirt was soaked and I needed to grab a jacket to help shield from the wind – it felt pretty cold due to evaporation. I made it through the climb to The Chin without any problems, got a couple pictures, and continued south. There were brief views to the south between the clouds. A short distance before Subway I met the first people on the trail. They were not hikers – no packs or equipment of any kind. I assume they must have come up via the ski lift or the auto road. Not long after I met a couple more with shopping bags – why didn’t they leave the bags in the car??

Soon I arrived at the Visitor Center. There were several vehicles in the lot and a number of people wandering around the area. I paused long enough to locate the place where Long Trail left the area, and left the area passing by The Nose on the way out. The exit from the area of the Visitor Center also put me back into the trees and the jacket was no longer helpful; off it came and I headed for The Forehead loop. Actually, I think I may have already been on the loop at this point. I made my way to The Forehead and continued to the junction with Forehead Bypass. From there I headed back toward the Visitor Center on the bypass to the junction with South Link and the start of my exit hike.

With the cloudy conditions, all of this wandering around was little more than some pleasant exercise. Unfortunately, the great views that I hoped for based on the forecast for the day were nowhere to be found.

South Link is a tight and rough trail compared with the other trails I hiked in the area. It wasn’t until I was close to the lower end that I found the trail open up a little. South Link connects Forehead Bypass with the Auto Road near the Hazelton Trail.

I’m glad that I brought my Long Trail Guide with me. The Haselton Trail is not marked at the Auto Road. It runs with the top several hundred yards of the Nose Dive Ski Trail, which is very well marked. I scratched my head a little while I attempted to locate Haselton Trail and finally pulled out the book. From the description I simply started descending Nose Dive and at the first turn – roughly a hundred yards off the road, I found a small sign and an arrow on a tree. From there it was generally clear sailing down to the base of the Gondola. Finally, some hikers; I met approximately a dozen hikers on the climb of Haselton Trail. They all generally had the same question – How were the views? I told them. Most just shrugged their shoulders and said – oh well.

I enjoyed the northern half of the hike the most because of the limited impact by the ski area and other development. The southern half of the hike would probably make me do an up and down to only The Chin on my next visit. It’s probably quite different and more enjoyable in winter.

I wandered out to Route 108 and headed back north to the trailhead lot. It didn’t take very long to pack, change into comfortable footwear, and hit the highway south. I pulled out of the trailhead lot six hours after pulling in. It was an unusually short day in the mountains.

At least I got the checkmark. Vermont is done.

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

Last edited:
Mansfield

If you ever do Mansfield again a figure eight that is packed with fun scrambles and definitely worth the effort is to follow the LT from Smugglers Notch past the visitor Center to Lakeview Trail, stopping en route for the Adams Apple loop (you did but worthwhile repeating under favorable conditions) scramble to the left to the Cave of the Winds after The Chin. Next return parallel to the ridge on the west via Lakeview, Canyon, Canyon North & Subway. Note go up to the LT on the south stem of the Subway - far more interesting. Next shortcut down to Taft Lodge via the Profanity Trail (may want to shout a few of these along the way). Then return the way you came up. Far more unique than the Haselton Trail (ho-hum). This is a fun & exciting circular. See Link.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

If you ever do Mansfield again a figure eight that is packed with fun scrambles and definitely worth the effort is to follow the LT from Smugglers Notch past the visitor Center to Lakeview Trail, stopping en route for the Adams Apple loop (you did but worthwhile repeating under favorable conditions) scramble to the left to the Cave of the Winds after The Chin. Next return parallel to the ridge on the west via Lakeview, Canyon, Canyon North & Subway. Note go up to the LT on the south stem of the Subway - far more interesting. Next shortcut down to Taft Lodge via the Profanity Trail (may want to shout a few of these along the way). Then return the way you came up. Far more unique than the Haselton Trail (ho-hum). This is a fun & exciting circular. See Link.
Thanks Aaron,

I'll hold onto this information for my next trip. It sounds like a nice improvement to the route.

;)

Glad you had a good hike, too bad no views tho- the summit & Ridgeline is an awesome place to be on a clear day, even more so without the auto road crowd!!! I often felt it parallels the Franconia Ridgeline if somewhat less dramatic (too much development on the east side). Just the other day I summited by way of the Haselton trail (partly) as i was more interested in bushwacking up via the brooks in the ravine. It was a Monday afternoon and i had the good fortune of having the entire ridge to myself (with the exception of three southbound thru hikers) to enjoy the sunset then dodge a massive thunderstorm coming from the 'Daks. I agree the Haselton is a bit hard to find (from either end) but is a good hike nonetheless. Thanks for sharing your TR

Great TR BigEarl. You and I have been of the same mindset lately. My girlfriend and I met you last week on Killington, and Saturday we also climbed Mansfield (then Camel's Hump today). We got a later start that you did, but apparently it was lucky that we did, as we had great views when we reached the Chin at around 1:00. We went up from the west side via the Sunset Ridge Trail and it was beautiful.
Congratulations on completing the VT 4Ks. We now have 3, and we hope to complete the list next week.

Art

Glad you had a good hike, too bad no views tho- the summit & Ridgeline is an awesome place to be on a clear day, even more so without the auto road crowd!!! I often felt it parallels the Franconia Ridgeline if somewhat less dramatic (too much development on the east side).
…..
Hi Forester Jake,

Thanks. While the distance views generally never showed up that morning the scenery was still very interesting. Hiking along the ridge with clouds blowing past provided some real neat views of the exposed ridge breaking in and out of the clouds. Frequent glimpses underneath the clouds to the valley below were also quite nice. The lack of a crowd was a positive to the day. Next time I’ll probably try coming up the west side.

:)

There was another aspect to the day that I didn’t mention. I almost always hike with Sue. Naturally, my thoughts drifted to Sue occasionally. Her youngest son is home on leave. Sue planned to spend the weekend in various family bonding activities with her sons and other members of the family. I found myself wondering how the weekend was going for all of them. These daydreams started on the drive in the morning. As I was approaching Stowe I drove past one of the turns to the Trapp Family Lodge. Suddenly, there it was…..

Doe, a deer, a female deer
Ray, a drop of golden sun
Me, a name I call myself
……

If you don’t know the story – Google it!

From that point on, all day, I was bouncing between Sue and Doe, a deer…. I couldn’t get rid of that tune. Parts of it are still hanging around. :rolleyes:

Between the Visitor Center and the Forehead there were some moose tracks on the trail that appeared very fresh. For a while my focus changed to my surroundings. Since I have no hearing to rely on I was looking in all directions trying to stay quiet and see if there was any interesting wildlife nearby as I hiked along. Eventually, I relaxed and soon things were back to where they were –

Me, a name I call myself
……

It was a fun hike. :D

Great TR BigEarl. You and I have been of the same mindset lately. My girlfriend and I met you last week on Killington, and Saturday we also climbed Mansfield (then Camel's Hump today). We got a later start that you did, but apparently it was lucky that we did, as we had great views when we reached the Chin at around 1:00. We went up from the west side via the Sunset Ridge Trail and it was beautiful.
Congratulations on completing the VT 4Ks. We now have 3, and we hope to complete the list next week.

Art
Hey Art!

Thanks.

When we met on Killington, you and your girlfriend provided exactly what we needed; a break in the action. Thank you for that. I realize the early start on Mansfield cost me the views but I still enjoyed the hike. Some times an early start works the other way.

When you were on The Chin, I was on the highway south. The radio was off but the music was playing….

Me, a name I call myself
……

I wouldn’t be surprised if our paths cross again soon.

:D

Earl,
Next time you're out there, be sure to do that little subway loop. Not to be missed ! one of the coolest side trails in the northeast IMO.:cool:
I noticed it on the way through but didn't know anything about its route and if it rejoined the main trail. After reading the trail description I sense it may be a problem. I have a right shoulder that is easily dislocated. Most times I am able to get it back together in a relatively short period of time but it is usually a fairly unpleasant experience. :eek: From the description in the Long Trail Guide it looks like there are places where arms and legs are needed for this route. I definitely wouldn’t try it if I was hiking solo on the next trip through, but I’ll be willing if I have company. :)

Also, I need to make a stop by the Mountain Wanderer on my next visit to Lincoln. I’m pretty sure they have better maps than the ones included in the Long Trail Guide. The guidebook is better than nothing but there must be more detailed maps available, perhaps waterproof. ;)

Now that's a well documented trip ! Great Job Earl !
Way to keep on moving !

Thanks.

It was a very interesting day.

The hike itself followed a series of terrific trails, with great scenery, and generally few people. I’m sure the early start had a lot to do with the ghost town nature of the hike.

Hiking solo means there is plenty of time to think, and daydream. These activities started well before getting on-trail and lasted well into the ride home.

Overall, it was a good physical and mental day.

Even though I enjoyed the day, I’m looking forward to the coming weekend and getting together again with Sue.

:)

I remember the Hazelton descent as a royal pain.