Mount Marcy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangergirl

Reaction score
Don and I ended up in the Adirondaks for New Years. We drove up Friday and then had breakfast at Noonmark Diner before heading into the Canyon to climb. We ended up climbing Quinn the Eskimo which was a bit too low angle. We then did Midnight Cruiser and had a blast! We headed out and made our way to the Adirondak Loj where we camped.
We woke up at 5 am on Saturday and by 7am we were on our way up Mt Marcy. It was chilly and snowing but the winds were low and we were motivated. It was a really nice hike. When we got to the sign that said the summit was .6 miles ahead we pushed on above treeline. The winds were awful! A steady 40-50mph wind, blowing snow that felt like we were getting sandblasted, and very low visibility. Being unfamiliar with the area we should have turned back. We did have a GPS tracking cookies for us, but these conditions were worse than anything we have encountered in the Whites and our lack of knowledge of the area made things frightening. We managed to find cairns that were small and kept going until we reached the summit (which we didn't even know was the summit at the time). We looked at each other, freezing and decided to go down even if that weren't the summit. We took a brief break behind a rock to bundle up and regroup. We walked back out into the wind where I was slammed down onto the ground and my hands became completely numb from the cold! We had good equipment on and it felt useless in this weather! Luckily we were able to find the small cairns marking our way back down and we were soon below treeline.
We never should have kept going for the summit. I don't know why we did. Not being familiar with the area made continuing a stupid idea. We learned our lesson to not push on during whiteouts when not familiar with an area unless you have to! We did have a lot of fun though and had a great weekend! Looking forward to the next time! Check out our pics!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/72157623149260446/

Dunno...couldn't have been that bad if you were able to stop and take pictures? :)

Seriously, glad that you made it out in one piece.

Nice TR! Good job at avoiding what seems like could have easily turned into an epic.

Did you lead any of the ice?

(I almost didn't recognize you in the pix, since you were hiking sans nose-guard. :D)

Congrats. If you hit the big square rock with the plaque on it - that's the summit. Other than the cold penetrating your gear, the other scary thing about your report - which you might not realize - is how easy it would be to leave the summit on the other trail and end up miles off course...Well, anyway, congrats.

I'm glad you made it!

It seems that the ADKs do not get enough respect for above tree line travel.

Marcy is not the only mountain where this can happen.

Any time you intend to go above tree line, especially in Winter, the group should have an agreed upon plan.

A compass bearing to aim for and to head back on (xxx-180) could be very useful.

If at some point you can't find a forward cairn or other marker, it's probably time to turn back.

Our original plan was to go over the other side but we changed our minds. We took a couple of quick pics to show we made it but it was cold! Spending so much time in the Whites we totally underestimated the Adirondaks. They are real mountains too! For layers I had on a Techwick longsleeve, a Patagonia R1 hoody, fleece pant, softshell pant, Patagonia Ascensionist Jacket, EMS fleece glove liners, OR Cornice Mittens with the liners in them, Smartwool socks, La Sportiva Spantiks with Insulated Super Gaiters, a fleece hat, goggles, had both hoods up, and threw on Chugach pants when we took a brief shelter behind a rock near the summit. I should have thrown on my down jacket too but didn't. It sure was cold and windy! The conditions were okay for snowshoes but I should have switched to crampons as I probably wouldn't have fallen on the way down. The wind pushed hard and the snowshoes didn't grip well on the ice. They were the MSR Denali Evo snowshoes.
This weekend we are going up to the Whites to do a day of ice climbing and to hike up Moosilake!!! :)

Nice TR! Good job at avoiding what seems like could have easily turned into an epic.

Did you lead any of the ice?

(I almost didn't recognize you in the pix, since you were hiking sans nose-guard. :D)

No, I am just not feeling the ice leading this year. I need to suck it up and just do it! Don is doing a wonderful job with the leads and I have been enjoying being a second! Yes, no noseguard on this trip! As dorky as that thing is, I love wearing it! It is super comfy and I don't get burned and it keeps my nose warm!