Mount Paugus, various trails, 10/1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
Today was a 52wav day and we decided on Paugus which a few in the group needed.. What is up with the "needed" thing ...but I digress..
Cymbidium, her lovely daughter Sarah, Grumpy Gram and Finn the wonder dog ste out from the Cabin Trail in Wonalancet.

Skies were clear to partly cloudy on the early ascent along the Cabin Trail which offered great footing through a mixed beech and maple hardwoods forest.. Foliage not peaking here yet..the maples were turning but the beech still predominantly green.

Making quick time to the Whitten Trail Jct we delayered and snacked a bit. The ladies got out ahead of me a bit as I tackled some of the innumerable blowdowns along the next stretch of trail from Whitten Brook to the Lawrence Trail..This section of trail obviously reverting to wilderness ..many many blowdowns,, narrow sidehill footbed in many places ..I remembered this section of trail as brushy but this was pretty woody!! Nice little lookout to Paugus along the way and i caught up at the Lawrence Trail Jct where it was remarked that a moose was heard in the woods and sure enough i heard it bellowing as well.

The Lawrence trial leaves at a pretty good descent pace for awhile a relocated section circles around what was a fairly difficult ledge walk..well constructed with numerous switchbacks and great footing we soon start the steep climb up to the ridge.. This trail used to go straight up and was quite steep..several switchbacks make this a very enjoyable climb at this point..A bit manicured for sure but IMO far superior to the old eroded roots and loose gravel section that used to be here.

The walk along the ridge excellent with views to Ossipee, Winni, and Squam Lakes..Square Ledge rises abruptly in front of the domianting Passaconaway..The Wonalancet range shows in contrast to the steep flank of Whiteface.. Foliage not peaking here yet but spots of color here and there surely caught your eye.. We enjoyed lunch in the 42 degree air at the summit and soon dropped off the ledge down the Old paugus Trail...at one spot along the way a great angle on Chocorua dominated the view..

Some very steep ledges drop you down in a hurry here..after a brief respite on a moss covered shelf and a fine outlook the pathc drops down like a rock going across the lower face of several large ledges..Pretty impressive..Rounding a corner we come into another impressive section of forest..BlowDown City.. for at least a quarter mile section along this trail the devestation is amazing..piles like pickup sticks line the trail and hillside..I guess remnents of the Ice Storm..the elevation is right..pretty amazing..

Big Rock Cave Trail starts with an easy brook crossing and ascent..Sarah took the lead here and soon put the rest of us in the dust..ah..the youthfullness of youth....soon the massive rock face looms into view..This spot has some serious boulder caves..well worth a special trip and great to combine with our paugus Loop..a very appealing spot.. After an easy ascent to mt Mexico a gradual smooth stroll in the woods had us back to the car quickly.

Nice loop..around 8 miles to a spot inbetween the more known peaks of Passaconaway and Chocorua....Big Rock Cave and the numerous cliff and ledge faces providided lots of interest along the way..
a few meagre photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157622503402310/

Last edited:
Very nice! Paugus is one of my secluded favorites. We've been up there more than a dozen times and never had to share the summit ledges. I have to admit I'm disappointed in the reroute. A couple of times we took unsuspecting friends up or down the Lawrence and enjoyed their reactions when they faced those gullies!

The ladies got out ahead of me a bit as I tackled some of the innumerable blowdowns along the next stretch of trail from Whitten Brook to the Lawrence Trail. This section of trail obviously reverting to wilderness ..many many blowdowns . . .
Nice report Mark . . . and thank you for taking the time to take care of some blowdowns! I appreciate it, and I’m sure the trail adopter as well as other hikers are appreciative of your work.

I appreciate it, and I’m sure the trail adopter as well as other hikers are appreciative of your work.

The last 1/2 mile of the Cabin Trail definitely doesn't get as much attention as the lower section. How much still needs to be cleared?

To say hundreds of blowdowns inflated a bit i suppose..
I removed a few precarious overhangers and some pretty good size stuff from the trail that created obvious issues

I'm not in trouble am I:rolleyes:

but to say that dozens remain..worthy of a 2-3 person trailcrew for a morning with saws and axes not an understatment..you would swear this trail had been abandoned..there are certainly easier bushwacks that I have been on...

This was one of my fav 52WAV hikes this season. A wilderness area of great beauty! Big rock cave has an ancient feeling about it.. very cool place.