Mount Rainier suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadine

Reaction score
West Enfield, ME Avatar: Mt. Katahdin, Tablelan
I'm headed to Seattle in August to visit a friend. I'm planning on spending 3-4 days in Rainier national park. I don't anticipate summiting Rainier, but would probably give it a try if the opportunity arose. I'll probably be hiking solo though, and what I'm really looking for is advice for day hikes in the area. I might be interested in an overnighter, if weather conditions were good.

Any book or trail guide recommendations?

100 Hikes In Washington's South Cascades and Olympics , by Ira Spring and Harvey Manning, from Mountaineers Books.

The Mountaineers (roughly, the Pacific Northwest's analog to the AMC) also publish other route guides, e.g., for walking routes, by Spring and Manning and others, as well as how-to guides, nature books, historical accounts, etc. All highly readable and utterly reliable.

Last edited:
There's a 50 hikes in Mt. Rainier book that's very useful.

I'd highly recommend the day hike to Comet Falls and then up to Van Trump Park. Awesome waterfall, then beautiful flower filled alpine meadows w/ great views of the mountain. One of the 10 best hikes I've done anywhere.

Really you can't go wrong w/ any of the hikes there, it's an awesome place.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've browsed Amazon for a couple of trail guides specific to the area. I'll look at doing Shriner Peak and the waterfall hike to Van Trump Park. I'd like some nice pix of Rainier. I hope the weather is clear. My last time in Seattle, it rained everyday and I couldn't see a darn thing :mad: