Mount Washington Observatory = Bed & Breakfast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's called fund raising. I think I just read that the obs teeters on the brink of bankruptcy. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Personally, I'd like to go up and volunteer, or even pay to volunteer, rather than just be a guest.

I think it's wrong that the work they do is not valued enough to be funded for its own sake. Scientists should be paid for their research not for their hospitality.

Several years ago I was told by a long-time OBS volunteer that the incoming president of the OBS had a very different vision of the role of the OBS, and decided not to seek funding thru a variety of governmental research grant sources, the same sources which had served to underwrite the OBS for many years. It looks like this fellow was correct in his assessment of the impact of that decision.

The NH State Parks maintains a staffing presence on the summit during the winter. I wonder if they'd continue to if the OBS was forced to close.

For a couple hundred bucks the meteorologists on the summit of Mount Washington will feed and entertain you for a night.
It's probably the volunteers that feed you, at least one is an award-winning chef in real life

And the EduTrips sound like they are well within the mission of the Observatory

There certainly may be an issue with hiring observers, if they are selected for PR skills instead of ability to repair instruments under adverse conditions for example

"Slim Bryant, who drives the snowcat up and down the auto road, says they’re in the entertainment business."

"Slim Bryant, who drives the snowcat up and down the auto road, says they’re in the entertainment business."
Hey P.T. Barnum had that pegged years ago. To quote him "Mount Washington the second greatest show on Earth". Personally I see nothing wrong with it. Not to sound condescending but you ought to ask Slim and others of the S. Conway hood whom work on the Auto Road how they feel about the entertainment industry when Pay Day comes. Personally I think it is an excellent educational opportunity and hope to personally take the trip someday. I have been hiking the rock pile for 45 years and hopefully the day comes I can't an EdU trip might be a nice bucket list item. Dehydrator please elaborate on your OP.

Education is a great thing in general and I'm sure it's an excellent experience for the science teachers who get to go up there. But the key question is: are these services the OBS would be providing if they weren't desperate for money? If the answer is yes then I'm fine with it. If the answer is no then they are compromising their principles and that is never a good thing.

I've been in the volunteer program for 9 years now, spending a week or two on the summit with the crew. What got me started was a Christmas gift from my wife of an edu-trip, it was the start of a long love affair with the mountain. I have made many good friends over the years with both the observers, the state park crew and other members of the observatory who share my passion. Like Tom says, it's about fund raising. The annual budget is over $300,000 and it is a non-profit. What is wrong is that most people assume it is government funded and don't help support their on going efforts. I have been trying to get the hiking community involved with support for this organization by hiking the mountain each July during their fundraiser hike-a-thon Seek the Peak. I have attended every year except the first since its inception in 2000, and I would like to thank everyone who has generously donated. I have cooked and cleaned during Thanksgiving for the crew, and served edu-trip and climbing guests, as many as 18 at a time.

I cannot say enough about how these programs have enriched my life. I went to the summit for many of the same reasons stated in the article. It was my best shot at arctic conditions without traveling 1000 miles north, and when things got uncomfortable, I simply went inside. The next day, or the next week, I went home, unlike an extended trip to Antarctica. I, like many, was at first luke warm to the idea of a mountain summit with a gift shop, roads, trains and tourists, but as I educated myself about the history and research which has gone on at the top of New England I built a lasting love for the place. Much of the weather info gathered there each hour is used in the forecast you see on tv every night, and much of the research done there benefits us in ways we may never know, for instance: The leading edge on many an airplane wing has an inflatable, rubber membrane that when inflated breaks ice build-up off the wing. The technology to do this was perfected in the wintery conditions on Mount Washington. The list is very long...

Many improvements have been made at the summit as well including power from the valley in the form of an unobtrusive underground cable which follows the Cog track to the summit, ridding the summit of the noisy, smelly generators that replaced the original power house which burned in '03. Generators on run for back up, now. The Cog itself has made the change to diesel, not perfect, but better than the black smoke which belched from them when they burned coal. Maybe the biggest improvement in the past few years is the state of the art septic disposal system which now allows only pure filtered water to return to the environment.

I have climbed Washington in all seasons for many years and will continue to do so, but I'll tell you, the trips I remember the most are the ones I made with the Observers as they made their weekly shift change, riding in the Bombardier with our gear to spend a week with passionate, intelligent people who are actually excited about their jobs! I highly suggest an edu-trip to anyone who can afford it, at least become involved by becoming a member, (much cheaper!) and get to know about the Obs and the work they are doing. I also suggest to all the hikers out there to join us this July for STP, worth it for the meal afterwards alone! If you become a member, the next time you're on the summit ask for a tour of the Observatory, it will open your eyes as to why this is an important organization.

Here are some photos and text of one of my visits as volunteer, a search of "Summit Volunteer" will bring up more. Photos

KDT

For a couple hundred bucks the meteorologists on the summit of Mount Washington will feed and entertain you for a night. Something seems wrong about this to me...

I think it's wrong that the work they do is not valued enough to be funded for its own sake. Scientists should be paid for their research not for their hospitality.

I understand the sentiment. I feel the same way about our school teachers, firefighters, social workers, police officers, federal workers (including military personnel), …

KDT[/QUOTE]Here are some photos and text of one of my visits as volunteer, a search of "Summit Volunteer" will bring up more. Photos

Great Pictures. The food made me hungry. Looked like a lot of fun.

Thank you! The volunteer program as I said has been a great experience for me over the years and outside of extreme weather winter gear necessary for winter shifts on the summit, I have been able to give of myself without reaching into my pocket. Time is a valuable thing, and is as much appreciated as money in many instances. The edu trip program is a vital tool not only to raise money, but also to educate people of the observatory's mission so they can make their own decision on whether to support the obs in other ways. Unless there is another way found to fund the work on the summit these programs are a great way to help support them. The main fundraising event of the year though, is Seek the Peak which has grown to a great event which hundreds look forward to, and plan vacations around each July. Good stuff!

KDT

I recently completed the EMS Mt.Washington overnight and I can't say enough good things about it. The volunteers are wonderful and fascinating people. They work hard all week cooking for the observers, cleaning, doing routine maintenance among other things. They are truly passionate about being up there and working hard. They welcomed us with open arms and made us feel at home. They shared with us many stories about their experiences while volunteering on the rock pile. The food was absolutely delicious (and I am not just saying that because I was famished after a long hike in high winds and blowing snow, we had post hike snacks to tide us over until dinner). Once the daytime observers were done with their shifts we all sat down and ate together. The Observers, also amazing and fascinating people, answered every single question we threw at them. Pretty much every topic was covered; the weather (of course), weird happenings, people, tourists, pizza delivery, hiking, skiing, animals, life in general...you name it chances are it was covered. The tour of the weather station the next morning was very interesting. So much goes on in such a small space. Climbing up the ladder to the top of the tower was so cool. After just spending one night there I am so much more appreciative of what these people, both the volunteers and the observers, do. There is a long wait list to become a volunteer and I fully intend on submitting my application after I finish typing this. I should add that the guided hike was very educational as well. They taught us different cramponing (is that a real word?) techniques, how to correctly use an ice-ax and when/how to utilize ropes where needed. All in all it was a very educational trip and quite the adventure. If people want to pay to ride up in the snow cat to experience what it is like to stay overnight on Mt Washington in the winter I say go for it. I'm sure there are many people who are genuinely interested in what happens up there on any given night during the winter who may not be capable of making the trek on their own feet. Also, its not exactly cheap so I don't see hoards of people going out to sign up. I did ask one the observers if they all got along seeing as how they are in such close quarters for 8 days a stretch. She said they get along really well but that they always look forward to edu-trips coming in because they all enjoy fresh faces for a day or two.

It's called fund raising. I think I just read that the obs teeters on the brink of bankruptcy. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Personally, I'd like to go up and volunteer, or even pay to volunteer, rather than just be a guest.

I'd love to volenteer or pay for an overnight, but i'd have to lie on the application, emphysema would rule me out, no credit for 46/48 in 18 mos with 10 in winter. oh well, i am a mwo member though.

I personally think they should give the AMC a run for its money and offer a European style hut on its summit during the summer/fall with better meals, hot showers and beer/wine. Hey, whatever it takes to keep it going, I'm for it! Can you imagine Mt. Washington without its full-time, professional, observers on the summit? It would be like losing the 'Old Man' all over again! :(

Thanks Kevin and others for recognizing that MWOBS seeks to extend their educational mission in many different ways, and while they do maintain a professional presence up there, they are also committed to outreach programs.

The Edu-trips are not cheap tourist fodder, regardless of how one understands the tone of the Boston travel piece.

Slim Bryant not only is an entertaining personality, he has an impressive mastery of that road in about every vehicle imaginable, in any weather imaginable, including a race presence in his vintage Porsche. When F & G needs him to fire up that monster machine at a moments notice, he's always ready. It's not like he's driving a charter bus.

Breeze