Mount Washington Observatory

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures

Ed,
I'm not in that picture, I took it! That is me in the picture Fishercat linked to, though. I was trying hard to not be in that picture! Those pictures are courtesy of Lynn, better known here as Lynn-tern. That is a great shot of Nin pawing the food off the plate!

KDT

Kevin said:
Ed,
I'm not in that picture, I took it! That is me in the picture Fishercat linked to, though. I was trying hard to not be in that picture! Those pictures are courtesy of Lynn, better known here as Lynn-tern. That is a great shot of Nin pawing the food off the plate!

KDT
Sorry to blow your cover KDT! :rolleyes: I'm the same way, I like to be behind the lens. This year my brother-in-law successfully blew my cover. BTW, these reports are great, please keep up the day-to-day reports as long as you can. Its a great way to open up the opportunity for others to do the same. If you get the chance, let me know if they have a BBQ grill up there. When we go up July 2-9 we want to do a traditional 4th of July cookout for one of the dinners if possible.

Pictures from this morning

I took a short stroll around the summit this morning. Temps were between 0 and 5 degrees, winds 40 to 50 MPH, windchills 25-30 below. Nice! I even ran into a few hikers!

windows.jpg

Our windows provided no view this morning.

stageoffice.jpg

Rime has covered the Stage Office.

tucks.jpg

This shot is from the top of Tuckerman Ravine Trail just before you hit the parking lot.

carters.jpg

The Carter Range and Wildcat Ski Area.

More later.
KDT

Sunrise

It is right precious to behold
The first long surf of climbing light
Flood all the thirsty east with gold.
- James Russell Lowell

I know people get sick of looking at sunrise/sunset pictures, but I will never get sick of watching the sunrise from the summit of Mount Washington. I think everyone should endeavor to at least once in their life see the sunrise or set from the top of New England.

01sunrise112407.jpg

I was greeted with this pre-dawn view of Nelson Crag as I stepped out into the -5 temp, 60 MPH winds and -40 windchills to take these pictures.

02sunrise112407.jpg

Mounts Adams and Madison bask in the alpenglow of sunrise.

03sunrise112407.jpg

As the sun rises in the east, the full moon sinks into the "Belt of Venus" behind the Observatory tower.

04sunrise112407.jpg

What better place to watch the man in the moon lay his head down to sleep?

05sunrise112407.jpg

Mount Jefferson wraps up in a cozy blanket of clouds.

KDT

Sunset/Moonrise

Today, 11/25 has been another read a good book, cook a good meal type of day here on the summit. Winds outside have been around 70 MPH all day with the peak gust being around 85. I was out on the deck for that and it blew my 210 lbs around a little bit. It didn't knock me down, but I wouldn't have wanted to be bouncing around on the rocks above treeline. Visibility has been about 50-60' all day and temps have actually warmed up to 13F. The wind chill is only -15 right now, balmy compared to parts of yesterday and the day before.

Because of the lack of visibility all day I have no new pictures, so you'll have to settle for some from yesterday at sunset. Yesterday was an amazing day to me, it was the only day so far I have been able to get outside and see anything. I've been outside everyday, but the visibility has been zilch. At daybreak I witnessed the sunrise while the full moon set, almost simultaneously. At sunset it was the complete reverse, again, almost simultaneous. Here are some shots:

mahoosucs.jpg

Looking north to the Mahoosucs, Mahoosuc Notch can be seen in the left center.

montalban.jpg

Montalban Ridge to the south. Mounts Isolation and Davis can be seen along this ridge.

summit.jpg

Shot of the rime ice on a post near the summit.

moriah.jpg

Moonrise over Mount Moriah. Nelson Crag is in the foreground.

KDT

Sorry the weather's been bad this time. It was a good day south of you.
I know you like me to keep the degree of difficulty to a minimum when
I hike without you, so I went to Tecumseh today. It was ridiculously easy,
but it was nice to get up a 4k after feeling lousy for the last few days. Emma
ran the whole thing both ways and she's still not tired. No pictures, though-
camera needs batteries again. Hope you get a chance to get out and about
before your time runs out! Judy

Sunset 11/25/07

It all depends on what you consider bad, hon! Winds died down to 50mph and temps stayed in the mid-teens when I went out just before sunset. I really didn't expect to see anything, so when I saw a golden orb trying to break through the fog, I got ready and I was lucky enough to get a few shots over the next half hour before the summit was engulfed in fog once again.

01sunset112507.jpg

Setting sun over the Crawford Path.

02sunset112507.jpg

For a moment, the veil is lifted.

03sunset112507.jpg

Mount Adams makes the backdrop for the Observatory tower at sunset.

KDT

Full Moon

If you're like me, (and I hope for your sake you're not!), you may have wondered, "What must it be like for the Night Observer at the MWO?"

Well, I've had the privilege twice now to go outside on the summit of Mount Washington around midnight under a (near) full moon. Last time the conditions were cold, but not like last night. Last night was around -10 windchill with 50mph winds, so it was rather difficult to get good pictures, even with a tripod which I held down as best I could while shooting. The reflection of the bright moon on the snow helped to enhance the scenes. Of course, as always, the pictures never do the scene justice, but I tried anyway.

01fullmoon1125.jpg

The Stage office under the full moon. The Yankee Building in the background always has a light on at the door for late night checks on the equipment inside.

02fullmoon1125.jpg

The Tip-Top House as seen from the precipitation can.

03fullmoon1125.jpg

The Observatory Tower. The lights of Jefferson are below.

We are back in the fog today, though at this writing the temperatures are up to 29 degrees with a 35mph wind making it feel like 12 degrees. Balmy!

KDT

Last edited:
I was looking at the settings on your camera and have some observations that will help you with night time shots.

According to your manual (looked it up on Amazon for the e8800) in Auto ISO mode the camera will only compensate up to 200 ISO. In P, S, A and M modes you can choose to set your ISO to 400. Higher is better for dark conditions like you had, but your camera only goes up to 400.

Your pictures look surreal, kind of like negatives!

Kevin

Shots

Thanks, Kev! If I get a chance I'll try some more before I leave. I didn't feel like 4 seconds was enough at 200 ISO, but in the wind it was tough.

KDT

Probably my last post from here, this time!

I'll say it again, if you've ever thought about doing this, do it! I've been stuck on the summit for a week, unlike other times I have volunteered when I have been able to roam to such places as Nelson Crag, the Alpine Garden, Boott Spur, Mounts Monroe, Clay and Jefferson. I still had a great time. The enthusiasm and camaraderie of those who work here is infectious, and they make you feel like a part of the family. They have praised my cooking, even though I know I'm not the best cook they've ever had up here, (not even close, I'm sure.) Even though I have been pinned down by the wind and sub-zero temps and haven't been able to hike this time, it's given me plenty of time to read, write and take pictures.

We've watched movies every night, (they are particularly fond of Mel Brooks). I've had time to work on my friendships with the State Park Crew, Chris, Mike and Diane, and Paul, who are fixtures here at the summit, whereas just when you get to know the Obs Crew, they change personnel.

If you can't afford a week here, consider an Edutrip this winter, it all helps out.

I appreciate you all following my thread, and thank you all who took the time to send your comments and encouragement. And last, please feel free to PM me if you have questions about volunteering here, I will be glad to answer. Thanks again!

01112707.jpg

At work in the weather room. L to R Peter Sciola, and Aubrie Pace, Interns, Brian Clark and Steve Welsh, Observers.

02112707.jpg

The view outside today.

03112707.jpg

In 70mph winds, Steve Welsh clears the instruments of accumulating rime ice. Yes, that is a crowbar.

04112707.jpg

Rime ice forms on the chains on the Stage Office.

05112707.jpg

Me after 20 minutes outside today.

If you would like to see the rest of the photos I took on this trip, I will have them posted later this week on my website:

http://www.ghostflowers.com/

KDT

Edutrips

Thanks, Timmus!

My wife gave me an Edutrip for Christmas a few years ago. That's how I got started. While I was here I grilled the volunteer cook about how to get a stint up here, and now I've been here 4 times.

The Edu trips may seem a little costly, but believe me, they are an experience of a lifetime! Give one to your favorite person this Christmas!

KDT

Kevin said:
The Edu trips may seem a little costly

Book soon and save 10%, or $46. Still too rich for my blood -- I could buy two pairs of crampons and two pairs of microspikes for that kind of change ;)

Right now I'll enjoy the experience vicariously through you, Kevin.

Tim

One last thing...

I'm leaving the summit today, bittersweet. The temp is 2F with 60mph winds making a -30 windchill. A tradition up here is that the volunteer gets to write the comment on the Obs website. It is posted here:

http://mountwashington.org/

The poem is my grandmother's and the picture is from our trip with Leaf, Una-dogger and Michael J along Wildcat Ridge a few weeks ago.

Thanks again everybody for your interest and kind comments. Until next time!

KDT

Epilogue:

sundog.jpg

Sun Dog.

rimefeathers.jpg

Rime Feathers.

I'm three days off the summit and I'm still exhilarated. I've finally got my photos sorted and posted. Some you've already seen, but if anyone is still interested there are more. The weather was clear the day we left and I was able to take some more pictures. The ride down was with mixed feelings. Longing to stay, wanting to get home to see my family, (and dog!). On the drive home I went over the experience in my mind. Each time is different, and each time is the same. There is much to be taken from the experience if you are open to it. I always try to go with an open mind. There are many things about the experience that are not glamorous, but I didn't go for glamour. There are somethings that I'm sure many would consider hardships, but they can be overlooked when the big picture is taken in. It's just like anything else, if you focus on the negative, then you will have a negative experience. I have always come away with a positive experience, and I am always thankful for the opportunity. I don't think I'll ever make it to Antarctica, so this will have to do!

Pictures here:

http://ghostflowers.com/nhscenics/mwovolunteer1107/mwovolunteer1107.html

KDT