Mount Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic108

Reaction score
Planning my 2004 hikes and outings. From those that have hiked Mount Washington what month/week etc. would you recommend during 2004 as the best time for a climb ? My thought was early August.
Thanks

Oddly enough, both my summer experiences on the rockpile have been around the Solstice.

Several years ago, the snow was gone from the upper elevations, but there was still some in Tuckerman Ravine. They had just switched back from the Lion's Head winter Route to the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. The Alpine Garden was in bloom, and it was a beautiful swath of color across the mountain. Warm sun, cool air, dry.

This past year, it was like summertime, with no water issues going up the Ammo, and plenty of sun and heat.

So that's my recommendation.

August is a very popular time to be hiking in the Presidentials. Wait a month and get better weather, less bugs and less crowds. September and October are prime time for non-winter hiking in the Whites, IMO.

Steve

Last edited:
July/August is probably the warmest time of year, but also probably our worst air quality. It's quite likely it will be hazy w/ limited views. I hate climbing a peak like Washington only to find 5 mile visibility in haze.

I'd vote early to mid September as the most likely time to have good clear weather. Just be prepared to reconsider your trip if you get some early season wintery weather. Crowds will be somewhat less, also.

I'd say anytime between Labor Day and Columbus Day weekends would give you the best chance of good weather and light crowds. I hiked the Carter Range a few years ago in mid-August and although the skies were pretty clear, temps were in the high 80s.

I've hiked the Presidentials 3 times... in August, September, and October. Weather conditions were the same each time... a dusting of snow, partly cloudy skies, and modest winds. If weather is your concern, check out the monthly averages on www.mountwashington.org. There were more people in August and September. In October, we left from Appalachia and didn't see anyone else until we reached Mt. Washington the following day. That night, however, the Mizpah (sp?) hut and adjacent tent site were packed.

i Third the week after labor day; that weekend on mt. washington was the first mountain i ever climbed. i have REALLY good memories of that hike. Trust me, it was a good time to go :)

September is nice for it - generally good weather and a bit less on crowds in terms of people in the area. Regardless, the summit is gonna be packed.

I did it last September on a Saturday and saw around 15 people before reaching the top of tucks and then a lot more heading up the summit...