MSR Fuel Pump Problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flypn

Reaction score
Northern VT, currently livin' it in Juneau, AK
Howdy all,

I was out this weekend on a ski/ice trip, and encountered a problem with the fuel pump on my new xgk ex. After boiling a few pots of water, we shut it off, then tried to turn it back on to cook dinner. The pump pressurized the bottle fine, but when turning the simmer valve, it would not open, so no fuel was running through the line.

we were def. happy to be carrying an extra stove for the group. I cleaned the fuel line, and checked the stove for any kind of clogging, but to no avail. Back now, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experience. The only suggestion that someone had was our use of coleman fuel, which apparently doesn't do as well in the cold, but that doesn't make sense in regard to this problem. Tips? Suggestions? Similar experiences? I've contacted MSR as well, but they haven't gotten back yet.

Cheers!

Flypn,
I don't think it was the cold, unless there was some water in your fuel and it clogged the filter and froze (unlikely).
If your stove and bottle are brand new, odds are there might have been some foreign material in the bottle or on the filter.

It has been a while since I pulled one apart but the filters used to be small brass cones. Be careful when you turn and release the plastic clip at the bottom of the pump assembly, as there is a small spring-loaded ball that can easily pop out of the pump housing and end up somewhere where you can't find it.
MSR is very good with Customer Service, and I would imagine if this is the first time using it, that the store you bought it from might do a R&R.

Last edited:
flypn said:
I cleaned the fuel line, and checked the stove for any kind of clogging, but to no avail. Back now, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experience.
I have a 30+ yr old Model G (the first of the line which has become the XGK). Never had any problems with it, summer or winter.

The only suggestion that someone had was our use of coleman fuel, which apparently doesn't do as well in the cold, but that doesn't make sense in regard to this problem.
Someone has it backwards--coleman fuel is very good in the cold. One possibility might be water in the fuel.

Doug

I'm not familar with the XGK EX but if it clogs that easily I would return it.
More than likely it's all about the simmer valve, if it failed now it's bound to happen again.
I have other MSR's...they should be user friendly and near indestructable...

The new pumps are so much better than the old (gray) pumps. I would guess that it is a defect and trade it in. Or call customer service, although my most recent attempt met with less than satisfactory results, my normal experience is that they are great about taking care of the customer. I would value having you tell us what the problem is if you find the solution!

I've got an old XGK with the yellow plastic pump. Like the other posters, I think the problem is fairly simple-either something is blocking the line-a bit of something in the fuel floating around, torn piece of gasket perhaps or the valve froze shut from water either in the bottle or around the valve itself. There aren't any other reasons I can think of. The design is very simple, so what else could it be?

Did it work after you got back and it thawed out?

My guess is you got some water in there and it froze when you shut off the stove. I think that is the common culprit of mysterious winter malfunctions. On my most recent trip we had six brand new MSR stoves for a group and several of them failed at one point or another. I believe they were all working again at the end of the trip. We removed the stoves and pumps from the fuel bottles and stuck them inside jackets and layers to warm up and evaporate any water.

A problem with Whisperlights (and possible other models) in really cold weather is trying to crank up the stove with an inadequate heat shield underneath. Radiant heat from the pot and stove will melt the snow underneath the stove creating a lot of water vapor. The water vapor will freeze around the outlet of fuel jet due to the drop in temperature when a gas expands, reducing the flow of fuel so the stove will only run at low flame. I think at some point it reaches equilibrium and the stove doesnt radiate enough heat to melt the snow to form the vapor. Pumping up the stove doesnt help.

To make it more interesting, but the time you get the pot off the stove, the flame turned off and the the heat shield out of the way, there frequently is enough residual heat in the stove to melt the ice that formed. Took me a hour or so on a real cold day with a bunch of hungry boy scouts to figure that one out :eek:

peakbagger said:
A problem with Whisperlights (and possible other models) in really cold weather is trying to crank up the stove with an inadequate heat shield underneath. Radiant heat from the pot and stove will melt the snow underneath the stove creating a lot of water vapor.
I use a piece of corrugated cardboard covered with aluminum foil under my MSR stove when cooking on snow. I have heard of others using masonite. Either protects the stove from the snow and vice-versa.

Some people have used snowshoes as a base under the stove, but some of them have burned their snowshoes. The above bases are cheap and expendable.

Doug

I like the cardboard with tin foil idea. I've been using a piece of 1/2 inch plywood, it's a little heavy.

I also make caps that go over and protect the pump. This also prevents it from accidentally getting opened in a pack and keeps gunk/snow off of it.
Fuel bottle with cap and windscreen rolled around it.

Small fuel bottle gets 20 oz soda bottle bottom, large bottle gets 1 liter bottle. Slit the sides so it fits snuggly and then duct tape.