MSR Lightning rusting up!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi!
Like most people here, I used some of my days off during the holidays to go hike (a very nice hike up Cascade and Porter, although I was pretty out of shape!). It was a good opportunity to try out my brand new snowshoes: MSR Lightnings. After the hike was done, I put all my gear in the trunk and headed back to Montreal (2h30 drive). Obviously, the snow/ice on the snowshoes melted, but when I finally got to my appartment, there was RUST! :mad: on my new snowshoes. I'm simply amazed by this. I am going to contact MSR customer service, but I wanted to know if anyone had seen something similar?!

Thanks,

Fish

PS: I'll link to the pictures when I get a chance...I'm at work right now.

hikingfish said:
Hi! ... Obviously, the snow/ice on the snowshoes melted, but when I finally got to my appartment, there was RUST! :mad: on my new snowshoes. I'm simply amazed by this. I am going to contact MSR customer service, but I wanted to know if anyone had seen something similar?!

I have 2 year old MSR Denali Ascents, and they have a small amount of rust on them. It appears to be just on the surface. Not sure if it's really a problem.

Unless they are made of stainless steel, anytime you scratch the steel you're going to get some surface rust. It happens on ski edges all the time and doesn't have in impact on performance or longevity. While it may be somewhat unnerving I don't think it's anything to worry about.

-dave-

..and stainless steel can still rust, just not as easily as steel.

Seeing that your username is hikingfish, maybe stay out of salt water! :)

My X-C ski edges (metal) has rust on it but I don't worry bout it much...

Jay

Jay H said:
..and stainless steel can still rust, just not as easily as steel.
Keerful--my father is a corrosion engineer. (Corroded engineer to his irreverent offspring.) :)

Rust is iron oxide. Some corrosion products are not rust.

Some stainless steels will corrode under certain conditions. Some are impervious to what we find in the mountains.

Doug

or aka ferric oxide.

I coat everything metal with some WD-40...its an anti rust oil. Works ok, but you have to re-apply.

I use it on my crampons, metal buckles, skis, the latch on my trunk, top of my table saw, my bike chain etc etc....and of course snowshoes. I have the Denali Asscents. No rust.

Give it a whirl.

WD 40 works wonders. I spray my MSR danalis with it before and after I go out and so far no rust. I have been doing this the MSR shoes came out. Takes two sends to spray and wipe them with it. Plus it keeps the snow from sticking to them. If you read the MSR manual they tell you to spray WD 40 on them after each use

Salt at roadside?

Did you walk right up to your vehicle at the parking area, and was that area was salted? If so, it is just rust from the salt exposure. The Lightnings have only two steel parts-- the cross bars under the foot. I wouldn't worry about it; just take them off in fresh snow.

Joe

Metallurgical aspects of corrosion

FYI - Stainless steels resist corrosion because they have chromium added. The chromium forms a chrome oxide layer on the surface which "helps" to prevent corrosion. Often stainless steels are passivated to remove surface contaminants which show rust spots. Certain enviroments can breakdown the protection given by this layer.

There are several groups of stainless steels which are differentiated by the amount of nickel added. The 400 series are called ferritic and have the least nickel. They are generally more susceptible to corrosion. You can tell if you have 400 stainless steel by holding a magnet to it. Ferritic stainless steels are magnetic.

More expensive stainless steels are the 300 series which have more nickel and chromium in them. They are non magnetic.

With that said, I am thinking that it is the crampon part of the shoe that is corroding. Stainless while it resists rusts is not as hard as other steels. The crampon part of the shoes are probably designed with a hard steel to slow wear against rocks. Aluminum crampons would probably wear out too quickly. The down side of the more hardened steel is that corrosion will happen. Typical solutions such as platings are probably not viable because the edges will become exposed through use. The WD40 is an organic barrier that is temporary at best. Corrosion is really tough to stop so if it really bothers you, 1.) make sure your shoes are dry, 2.) make sure if you get salt on them, get it off, 3.) keep them oiled in the humid summer time.

omegaman said:
FYI - Stainless steels resist corrosion because they have chromium added. The chromium forms a chrome oxide layer on the surface which "helps" to prevent corrosion. Often stainless steels are passivated to remove surface contaminants which show rust spots.

FYI: I found out the hard way that those CLR products, (Lime Away, Kaboom, etc.), *WILL* remove the shine from stainless steel! :eek:

That's because it's an oxidizer. We have that issue at work with a few of the oxidizers and stainless, if they come into contact with one another, say goodnight.

My older brother has issues with using chlorine for cleaning a tank at work and the next day all of the stainless pipe had started to rust.

I love chemicals... :D