MSR XGK EX Stove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSunRa

Reaction score
Interested in feedback with the new (2005) MSR XGK stove. Have some credit to use up at EMS and was toying around the idea of picking up this stove for winter use mostly. Again any feedback is much appreciated.

~Dave

i think of it as a V8, its big, loud and powerful, and if you need it, you need it, otherwise its a gas guzzler. its a new version of a stove that's been around for many, many years.

if i understand correctly, the pipes are extra big for use at atlitude which is where this stove shines. if cooking above 10,000 or 15,000 feet this is THE stove to use; otherwise, you've got yourself one hell of a blowtorch that'll use more gas than needed. i coulda picked one up at waaayyyyy under wholesale to replace my dragonfly and decided not too as even though the price was right, the simmerlight seemed like a better, and quiter, replacement for winter cooking.

just my 1cent of opinion after taxes:)

Hey Rick, if you would mind posting here what backpacker has to say in their review.

Starchild, Thanks for the input. MSR claims less clamoring nosie with the new model but remains to be heard. What got my attention with this stove was how powerful it is (great for melting snow) and how compact it is. However, you make a good point about fuel consumption. The compactness is lost due to carring extra amount of fuel and a bit more wieght.

both the XGK EX and the simmerlite have the braided wire hose rather than the oldshool straight pipe, so both are far more compactable than the older models.

FYI i thought the rubber gasket between the pump and bottle as shown in the instructions was missing, but the cap part of the pump is soft rubber and is a gasket unto itself. (hope i worded that right)

DaveSunRa said:
Hey Rick, if you would mind posting here what backpacker has to say in their review.

Starchild, Thanks for the input. MSR claims less clamoring nosie with the new model but remains to be heard. What got my attention with this stove was how powerful it is (great for melting snow) and how compact it is. However, you make a good point about fuel consumption. The compactness is lost due to carring extra amount of fuel and a bit more wieght.

I have both (whisperlite & XGK) I notice no difference in fuel consumption between the two. The XGK has been easier to light, and delivers a more consistent flame in COLD conditions.

Last edited:
I have had a model G (the first of the XGK line) for 25 years. It has always been reliable and has shown no excessive thirst for fuel. In fact its wind screen and heat reflector are both quite effective and help to conserve fuel.

It also makes a good summer stove too...

And contrary to rumor, one can simmer with it. (Low pressure in the tank and a delicate touch on the valve.)

Doug

I have the XGK and love it. :D It melts snow and boils it up in no time. It's incredibly compact, fairly light and easy to use. The only negative comment I can make is on the noise level...It really does sound like a jet engine! This means no early morning brew without waking up everyone else. :( I have not used it at high altitude yet but it's reputation for those conditions is the main reason I purchased it.

I would go for the Simmerlite, it costs less than the XKG and weights half as much.

I have the newer model of the XGK and for a winter stove it is great. It's also a very well respected stove in the mountaineering community as it is one of the best stoves at altitude. I was able to use it on a 4 day 3 night backpacking in early January and was pretty surprised that it isn't a fuel hog. I'll warn you that it is loud though. When I fired it up at Grey Knob in Dec Chris, the caretaker, would crack jokes about it's loudness. One of the jokes I kept hearing was "Ladies and Gentlemen please position your trays in the upright position..." :) Otherwise it's a solid stove... comes with a windscreen to place around the stove and under the stove too.. and is quite the blowtorch (great for melting snow).

DavesunRa,

I rechecked the BP article and it really didn't have much to say about the new stove that differed from the old, except the flexible fuel line. It did mention good pot supports and that (as most know) it is the true expedition stove. It also mentioned something to the effect that the noise is comparable to an Apollo at liftoff.

I saw a brand new returned XGK for sale at Cabella's in Hamburg (PA) in the bargain cave for about $50 2 weeks ago. I thought about buying it for winter , but then guilt about being disloyal to my trusty old Whisperlight kicked in.
(not to mention the fear of my wife asking me "Exactly how many stoves you need Mr. Story???" My Reply...."As many as you have pairs of shoes, dear" OK, OK, I would THINK that, but never ever SAY it out LOUD for fear of being on the losing side of Wife Ergonomics. :eek: )

If I were in the market for an XGK I would jump all over the previous model. The new one with the flexible fuel line may be more compact, but, it is nowhere near as stable.

The new stove is the same as the previous model, just has a flexible fuel line and retractable legs...ability to simmer as well....

Personnally...I think MSR is trying to make improvements based on customer feedback regarding the packability of the stove....and ability to simmer....but in return they have fell on their face in regards to stability....

The professionals & expedition companies will gobble up the stoves with straight fuel lines..This is the ultimate snow melting machine...and with alittle practice you can simmer.

Last edited:
blownaway said:
If I were in the market for an XGK I would jump all over the previous model. The new one with the flexible fuel line may be more compact, but, it is nowhere near as stable.

The new stove is the same as the previous model, just has a flexible fuel line and retractable legs...

Personnally...I think MSR is trying to make improvements based on customer feedback regarding the packability of the stove.....but in return they have fell on their face in regards to stability....
I agree. The solid fuel line makes for a very stable base, particularly in the snow. The retractable feet on the new one remind me of the feet on the Coleman Peak One--we had some of them bend in the field (~1980).

I have examined the new XGK and picked up a discounted solid fuel line XGK while I still could. Looks like it could share some parts with my old model GK.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I have had a model G (the first of the XGK line) for 25 years. It has always been reliable and has shown no excessive thirst for fuel. In fact its wind screen and heat reflector are both quite effective and help to conserve fuel.

It also makes a good summer stove too...

And contrary to rumor, one can simmer with it. (Low pressure in the tank and a delicate touch on the valve.)

Doug

DougPaul I also have an older model G and I am still using it with the same results as you. The best thing I like about the the XGK is it's field repairability. I have collected many Parts over the years to apply preventative maintenance to the stove and also for my field repair kit. The XGK the old and the newer ones, function quite simply and it does not take a Rocket Scientist to understand them. Definietly my stove of choice for real cold weather and/or Altitude.
I would be interested to try the new one as I too would have some concerns about the fuel hose flexibility and the stability of the stove. I did away with the MSR windscreen years ago and use a Trangia cookkit that the XGK will actually nest inside of. This cookkit not only serves as a Windscreen but also increases the fuel efficiency and stabilty of the stove.
By the way the Trangia cookkit comes with an Alcohol burner which is quite nice and light for three season use.

Last edited:
skiguy said:
DougPaul I also have an older model G and I am still using it with the same results as you. The best thing I like about the the XGK is it's field repairability. I have collected many Parts over the years to apply preventative maintenance to the stove and also for my field repair kit. The XGK the old and the newer ones, function quite simply and it does not take a Rocket Scientist to understand them. Definietly my stove of choice for real cold weather and/or Altitude. I would be interested to try the new one as I too would have some concerns about the fuel hose flexibility and the stability of the stove.
Nice to see that I'm not the only one...
Never needed to do any major maintence on mine.

I did look over the new XGK, and while it packs into a smaller package, it certainly loses stability compared to the older design. Same basic burner, so I presume that heating performance would be similar.

I did away with the MSR windscreen years ago and use a Trangia cookkit that the XGK will actually nest inside of. This cookkit not only serves as a Windscreen but also increases the fuel efficiency and stabilty of the stove.
I am certainly aware of the Trangia set. I read of a conversion to a cannister burner. (Very simple to do, IIRC). Hadn't thought of trying it with the MSR burner. Careful you don't melt any aluminum... :) A bit on the heavy side.

By the way the Trangia cookkit comes with an Alcohol burner which is quite nice and light for three season use.
Very popular in Europe, from what I hear. Can even be used in winter because the wind screen is so well integrated. I have 2 Trangia burners (with the Westwind holder and the model 28-T holder--same burners as the 25), but never got the full integrated system.

Doug

Thanks for all the feedback. Lots to chew on, never thought buying a stove would cause some much self anxiety. still on the fence here.

DaveSunRa said:
Thanks for all the feedback. Lots to chew on, never thought buying a stove would cause some much self anxiety. still on the fence here.

I have found over the years that not just one stove will meet all my needs. I do hike, camp, and climb all times of the year which means different challenges when it comes to cooking.
When in the outdoors cooking means survival and comfort. A hot meal and drink can mean all the difference between sanity and insanity.
If you are out there in different places and different climates IMO there is NO ONE turnkey solution to the Holy Grail of stoves/cooksets.
Don't get anxious just start trying and collecting.
This is always a good subject to discuss pros and cons;but each trip is situationally specific when it comes to a stove.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
I love my jetboil! :p

Glad you mentioned it....the latest of my stove collection. Truely a remarkable advancement in canister stove technology.