Mt. Abrahams Traverse (Bjarnum - Old Firewarden Cabin)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Team members:

SueBiscuit
Chinooktrail
Donna
Frodo
Arm
Hamtero
g o
Mats

Friday 2/15
Lloyd, SueBiscuit and I carpooled to Kingfield, ME where Garrett (g o) has his living quarters set up nicely. Everyone stayed overnight there except for Frodo who like them early morning drives :D With the Arctic weather in the forecast we waited until next morning to decide the exact itinerary.

After much deliberation we decided to go for the original plan to place two cars by the road 5 miles or so (east?) of the old Firewarden cabin on the north side of Abraham. We then drove to Bjarnum on the southwest side of of Abraham. It was blistering cold in the morning but the sun warmed up nicely. We were lucky to have snowmobile trails broken out although there are some objective dangers involved with the snomos coing around the corner at 60 mph.... :eek: One of the snomo drivers stopped and we consulted routefinding with him. Unfortunately the directions he gave led us too much to the west indicating he thought we wanted to intersect with the AT on that side of Abraham. Our goal was to camp in or near the col between Middle Abraham and Abraham. Realizing our mistake we re-traced our footsteps and found a road heading in the direction we wanted.

The sun started to get lower and the cold intensified so we started to get eager to find a suitable campsite for our four tents. We found a sheltered flat area around 2,700 feet we decided was adequate and the camp prep activites came to full swing.....a good thing with cold weather - everyone automatically work hard with the chores just to stay warm. Arm immediately started digging an encampment for the snowmelting process with his 4-quart pot and the stove. Frodo and I tested out a new tent for an upcoming trip to Denali (hey Donna - observe spelling of Denali :)).

We had plenty of food which was shared left and right. Gris had also provided us with a bottle of emergency fuel in form of some two year old 160 proof Moonshine. A good chest warmer but seemed like it might be more suited for human consumption if diluted with some liquid white gas. The Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes was filling as well as the sushi someone brought.....I bet it was Suebiscuit.....she seemed to pull a few treasures out of her backpack :) occasionally we needed to make brisk walks to keep the core temperature in the declining temps. Luckily we were sheltered from wind. The moon came out and we went for a walk along the snomo trail gazing at the stars......also had a snowangel competition which I don't remember who won.....I know it wasn't me :eek:
By 9pm everyone was eager to jump into the warm sleeping bags......Frodo kept a sandwich inside his North Face Dark Star -40 bag overnight....it was half frozen in the morning......

The crew was a little hesitant to get out of the bags in the morning...not sure why :D :D :D
Around 8:40am the eight hikers formed a band heading up towards the col. The snomo trail ended soon and trailbreaking took over. The sun was shining beautifully and soon we stood on the timberline border adding layers since we knew it was blowing hard up there......several time Frodo's sled took off and was suspended horizontally in the air.......looked comical but Frodo had a full-time job keeping his balance in the wind. Garrett had similar issues with his sled although he was carrying his so th sled became like a sail. We were in awe of the beauty up there and were very happy we had chosen to go on this cold trip. After a group photoon the summit we went down the north side. Garrett was orchestrating the route finding and we eventually got down into the woods. Arm was spearheading the routefinding in the woods and by 1:18pm we checked out the guestbook inside the Firewarden cabin. Two vftt people had been there 3 hours earlier. Arm: what was their names?

One by one th crew came down to the cabin and took a break. Garrett started to feel sick at this point and we wanted to get back to the cars sooner than later. With a lot of team effort over the seemilngly endless trail to the cars we firs made it out to the snomo trails, the summer TH and finally the cars. Frodo and I couldnt fit in the cars so we waited until we gotpicked up 45 min later. Picked up the cars in Bjarnum and then back for pizza and beer at Garretts hous before heading home to boston. Garrett's energy returned a bit after he got some dry clothes and chicken soup in him.
Wicked good pizza......after an awesome hike!

Thanks everyone for making this trip unforgettable! I'll be back there for more soon I'm sure...... :) :) :)

Donna,Arm, Frodo and Garrett should have some photos to share I hope ;)

Mats

Last edited:
This was a great trip. Thanks GO for leading us. I had so much fun with everyone and can't wait for another hike like this one.

Okay, I'm not sure where "Danali" is :eek: but I bet you guys really want to head up "Denali". Your excitement looking forward to the Denali trip has made me excited for all of you. Have a safe and fun time and can't wait to hear all about it.

Here's my pixs:

http://community.webshots.com/user/donnaryan102

donna said:
This was a great trip. Thanks GO for leading us. I had so much fun with everyone and can't wait for another hike like this one.

Okay, I'm not sure where "Danali" is :eek: but I bet you guys really want to head up "Denali". Your excitement looking forward to the Denali trip has made me excited for all of you. Have a safe and fun time and can't wait to hear all about it.

Here's my pixs:

http://community.webshots.com/user/donnaryan102
Nice pics! Takes me back to this summer, but it looked a little different! :D

Mats Roing said:
After much deliberation we decided to go for the original plan to place two cars by the road 5 miles or so (east?) of the old Firewarden cabin on the north side of Abraham.

So those where YOUR cars we saw!

Tim, Jerry, Mark, & I set out to do an Abraham/Spaulding/Sugarloaf traverse but where turned back just below Abrahams treeline due to a medical issue. Nothing serious but it was the right decision. It would have been cool to run in to you guys up there... oh well, another fun day in the woods.

onestep said:
So those where YOUR cars we saw!

Indeed would have been fun :) I assume it wasn't all that easy to follow the trail going uphill above the cabin. We had some discussions about where the trail went before we ran into your tracks.

We could have co-ordinated beforehand so we could avoid pre-placing cars...maybe next time? Lots of beautiful traverses to be done in that area :) :) :)

Great TR! Will be checking out the pics as well.

Hey Mats, what tent did you test out for Denali, and how did it go??

leaf said:
Hey Mats, what tent did you test out for Denali, and how did it go??

The Bibler Bombshelter - luxurious for two, comfortable for three, squeezy for four. Singlewall with one built in sizeable vestibule. Also a second door with a "vestibule" which fits two couple of shoes or so. Ventilation through the doors. You can sit up comfortably in it. It's listed as 4-person tent...weighs in at 8 lbs so you get lots of space for the weight, but wouldn't want to be stuck 5 days in a storm with 4 people in there.......for two people it would be a castle......the NF Mountain 25 weighs in at about the same weight and that's just a 2-person tent period. Poles are set up from the inside so if caught in a storm you are sheltered while setting it up....it also gives you ability to hang up stuff to dry on the poles inside......nice feature. I got mine on EBay for $450 or so......normally they are $800.

Shine on... :)

D*mn, that stuff lasted that long! Glad it finally got put to good use.

Quick funny story. Once upon a time, MANY years ago, my wife, my good friend, his wife & i were skiing at Bretton on a VERY cold day. After we finished, we went to eat, beers, etc. Somehow later that night the wives wanted to head back to Bretton and walk around "the Hotel." By this time it was below zero and the wind was howling up there at the MWH. We pulled into that parking lot that's a hundred yards or so away for the hotel and got blasted the minute we stepped out. Ice city meant a slow Tim Conway old man impersonation shuffle all the way the Hotel . Everybody back in the truck. The girls demanded we drop them off. We did, as they laughed at us having to brave the elements w/o proper clothing I might add. My amigo & I got back to the lot. He's says sh*t what we gonna do. I say not to worry and pull out a jug of that same shine and we hit it hard. Should have seen the look on the girl's faces as we shuffled S-L-O-W-L-Y up to the entrance bare-chested and laughing all the way - LOL! :D :D :D

Gris said:
D*mn, that stuff lasted that long! Should have seen the look on the girl's faces as we shuffled S-L-O-W-L-Y up to the entrance bare-chested and laughing all the way - LOL! :D :D :D

It didn't take much sipping to figure the stuff would probably be classified as rocket fuel in the military.... ;) Needless to say......we didn't want to risk getting ideas of hiking Abrahams bare-chested.....so there is still fuel left in Garretts nalgene bottle :D

hmmmm

ahh shoot, i was hoping i helped inspire some snow angels, LOL...

since we already have a "doctor," that stuff should probably be nick-named "the Commissar"

since it was made in the Balkans... :D

Gris said:
ahh shoot, i was hoping i helped inspire some snow angels, LOL...

since we already have a "doctor," that stuff should probably be nick-named "the Commissar"

since it was made in the Balkans... :D

In the Balkans, huh? Same stuff as makes the Shahab-3 missiles take off?

We focused on getting rid of the lower octane Foster's cans to lessen the loads before heading up the ridge the next morning.....that's why there's still "The Commissar" for next trip.

Wonder if it works to hook it up to the Simmerlite? Multi-use gear is key in the outdoors :D