Mt Adams NH rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el-bagr

Reaction score
2 hikers, one from Maine, rescued on Mt Adams after calling 911 due to being "disoriented" in blowing snow. Fish and Game to the rescue. Details and analysis are sure to follow tomorrow.

Having hiked down the Auto Road yesterday, I can tell you that the vis was about as bad as it gets. Heavy Upslope snow, blowing snow and fog kept vis to the width of the road, if that. The people I was with were still all talking about this vis this morning at the kitty.

Needless to say when I heard the story on the radio today, my first thought was "I can understand that"

Looking forward to more details though...and just wanted to weigh in seing "disoriented" in quotes.

Last edited:
Great Gully

Great Gully is pretty steep and has a nice ice bulge in it. Give it up for Cruddy and Mike! Cruddy probally got in some hot tube time in after that one. :D

Man thats a "necky" spot to be in in bad weather. Im glad they survived and kudo's to the brave men who went up to help out, thats what its all about.
No one got hurt, everyone goes home.

That is ONE tough place to be in those conditions :eek: Bet they were glad they brought along a sleeping bag...

Awesome job with the rescue Al and Mike! The RMC and AVSAR rocks!

Frodo and Stinkyfeet, you remember how good Cruddytoes is at finding an obscurred trail in blowing snow during the darkest hours of the night (i.e., Waumbek), right?

The wind was howling with blowing snow and the temperature was plummeting on the floor of Franconia Notch during our PVSART (western Whites equivalent to AVSAR) quarterly meeting at the Cannon tram station on Wednesday evening, so I can only imagine what it was like higher up on the Northern Presi's.

Mike and Al, nice effort!

You guys are awesome, the rescuees are lucky to have you two on their tail. Get on here so I can give you some greens!!

I've noticed in the past that the RMC rarely gets any credit for all the rescues they do...

Does anybody know what the rescuees intended itenerary was?

The article mentioned they were hiking from Grey Knob. I would speculate they ascended up Lowes (with wind at their backs), got somewhere in the Thunderstorm Jct area and decided to turn around. But, facing into the wind, they either picked the wrong cairn line heading down or perhaps they decide to descend via Upper Spur to try to get out of the wind and then picked a wrong cairn line.

Also interested in where exactly the holed up? Sounded like the top part of Great Gully?

Fantastic job to the RMC Caretakers. That musta been one heckofa night!!! Job very well done.