Mt. Aeolus formerly the mountain known as Green

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
I like kind of off beat mountains in less traveled places. That's why the only list I care about, I swear is VT 3k peaks. This past Saturday after sleeping in much later than planned, my husband and I headed off from Springfield VT over to Dorset, VT: land of the well appointed country estates. The trail directions in the GMC Day Hiker's Guide were something like: "Drive down Quarry road. Park near these metal signs. The trail heads up the quarry road. At this one metal gate go this way, not over here. Don't go up to the repeater tower but keep going steadily uphill and to the right...blah, blah, blah." So Quarry road proper continued on as a normal auto type road while this woods road/trail not labeled "quarry" anything heads up what looks like the logical direction. I hate when you've barely gotten out of the car and the trail guide is already making you scratch your head. That's why I like VT, often just getting to the trail and figuring out where you're going is the best part. ;)

Anyway, we found our way despite taking just one wrong turn and backtracking a little. I always pick the wrong way. When Spongebob is with me he straightens out my crooked thinking, but he wasn't around this time. Oh well. Burned a few more calories. This hike goes by some pretty cool marble quarry remnants from like the 1880s I think, that are worth exploring. There's also a bat cave (nahnah nahnah nahnah nah nah...Batman!) but it's not to be disturbed this time of year as it's an important "hibernaculum" for some endangered bat species. Cool. (not the endangered part, the hibernaculum part) The last quarter mile was pretty steep and not very obvious with some blow downs and a light dusting of snow obscuring the vague path. It started to feel more like a bushwack for a few seconds. Also cool.

Wandered around on the top looking for the reward for our effort, proof that we were there. Almost gave up but then Chip was the hero. (and he for real swears he's not a peakbagger!)

Well, if you made it this far in this overly long report on some obscure mountain in the little hills of VT, then, you rock.

Mt. Aeolus(Green Mtn). Check it out. It's a fun time.

Started the hike around 12:30 finished about 4:15. 5.6 miles RT (without the Jen gets confused detour) Mostly old quarry roads, woods roads, easy terrain with a bit of a steep push at the end.

Last edited:
It's nice to hear about places that aren't often ( or ever ) discussed. Those who appreciate such areas will never run out of places to hike and explore and enjoy right here in the northeast. :D

happy trails :)

Hey Toe Cozy !

We camped next to you ,Sponge Bob, and ? on Grace Day

Anyhow...Way to get out there-nice report !

Nice hike! I love walking those marble mountains in southern VT - rather unique in New England.

Hey Jen,

I love hiking in VT...it's awesome out there. I've been spending lots of weekends in the Burke Mt. area...having fun exploring new mountains to hike.

Haven't seen you in a while...let's do some winter hiking this year. Of course between the two of us, we'll get lost for sure. :p

We discovered, after the fact, that you can drive (even a low-clearance vehicle) up the trail maybe a half mile to a point beyond the entrance to the old quarry. Just above, where the road/trail gets dicey, there's a nice campsite location with a fire ring.
Glad you got your reward, Jen!

Aeolus is a great hike in the spring!

Toe Cozy -
I, too, loved doing most of the Vt 3k's, and Aeolus was a neat mountain. I liked the way that the trail wound around the mountain, the bat cave, the marble, etc. Go back in the spring, as I recall there were some nice wildflowers! :)

Toe Cozy said:
That's why the only list I care about, I swear is VT 3k peaks.
I think if I lived in VT I wouldn't bother much with NH or NY either

After you finish the 3k, you can go for the 50 most prominent or the HP of every town in the state (which have both been done) or how about every peak in the GMNF?

ColdRiverRun said:
Have you heard of Odd Mountain ? :confused: Spongebob said it is really thick up top! :D You might want to go soon, I heard they are building a Gap Kids store next to the summit tower.

No way man, Odd Mtn. is located within the Weirdos Wildlife Refuge and therefore protected by international Loser Laws in order to preserve the natural state of weirdos for perpetuity. (is the phrase "in perpetuity" or "for perpetuity"???) And besides that, Gap Kids wouldn't give me the $25,000,000 bribe I asked for. Also, you might want to check the description in whatever guidebook you're using because Odd Mtn. doesn't have any summit tower on it. It's a bushwack, silly! ;)

Toe Cozy said:
Okay everybody, let's just keep VT on the DL ("down low", not "disabled list"). It really is kind of crappy here in VT. You don't want to hike here, really. NH is the place to be. ;)

Totally. While stunning from such vantagepoints as the Bromley observation tower, Aeolus is a lousy hike. Just terrible. I mean, it's named after the ruler of the winds, how much fun could it be? Try Mount Eolus instead. Much better.

Great pics!

Enjoyed looking at Mt. Eolus and some of your other peaks, but some of us just will have to be satisfied with Mt. Aeolus! :(

Toe Cozy said:
Okay everybody, let's just keep VT on the DL ("down low", not "disabled list"). It really is kind of crappy here in VT. You don't want to hike here, really. NH is the place to be. ;)

Um.. You must mean the trailed 4000 footers only. Otherwise NH is boring, boring, boring. yaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwn. ;)

forestgnome said:
Um.. You must mean the trailed 4000 footers only. Otherwise NH is boring, boring, boring. yaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwn. ;)

Yes, of course. In fact, I think the really cutting edge hiking, the place the cool people are going, where the hiking is at man...that's in Rhode Island or maybe Connecticut these days, right? That's where it's at. How's the hiking in Jersey? Which exit is it off of? :D

Toe Cozy said:
Yes, of course. In fact, I think the really cutting edge hiking, the place the cool people are going, where the hiking is at man...that's in Rhode Island or maybe Connecticut these days, right? That's where it's at. How's the hiking in Jersey? Which exit is it off of? :D
Darn it! I knew that was the deal. That's why no one has posted any trip reports for those states yet, it's the SECRET spots. I bet there is hundreds of Odd Mountains there, most of which I bet are located in the Beach Barbie national forest.
:cool:

Ketch-Up said:
Toe Cozy,
I'm :confused: by all this cryptic talk. Am I suppose to stay away from VT :( or am I suppose to go there often :D . I guess I will stay out west for now.

I'm just doing my part to keep it quiet here for you until you retire. That's all. Glad to see you post and know that you didn't get washed away out there!