Mt. Agamenticus, ME and Second Hill

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bobby and I decided to do an easy, quick and snow free hike today. Decided to go to Mt. Agamenticus in York, ME. Bobby had never done it and I had never made it out to Second Hill.

Below are some highlights:

From the summit of Mt Aggie, there was a nice shot of the Presi's off in the distance (just look for white):

ry%3D480

View of Second (or Third) Hill and the Atlantic Ocean (including Perkins Cove in Ogunquit, I think) from the summit:

ry%3D480

Abandoned chair lift equipment from former Mt. Aggie ski area on Ring Trail:

ry%3D480

Bobby on Second Hill summit:

ry%3D480

HUGE ant hill on Second Hill:

ry%3D480

Huge nasty red ant on the ant hill (near bottom of photo):

ry%3D480

Warning sign on Second Hill. We believe this would have taken us to the Third Hill Area, but we didn't have the time or a proper map for that undertaking today:

ry%3D480

Three more huge ant hills in an open area that we bushwhacked to off the Porcupine Trail:

ry%3D480

It was a really good time on a nice spring day. There were some nice views, some sweet woods and those ant hills really blew us away. Great to hike with Bobby again. :D

Regards,
Marty

This is a nice little hike. We saw the same views, more or less, a few years ago.

I don't suppose you found the benchmark? :D

Hey Tom,
No, I did not find "the benchmark", but I could have stepped on it unknowingly. Perhaps Bobby saw it.......

Yes, it was a nice little hike.

Oh, one more thing to add: there were a few black flies out, but they weren't bothersome. That time will be coming soon.....

Regards,
Marty

I remember doing this gem of a little hill a couple winters ago with McRat. It was made all the better when we stopped off at the Redhook Brewery for food and refreshment (I was cajoled into tasting some of the beer sampler by Russ even though I don't drink just so I could call it for V&B :D )

Brian

Marty -
As you may know, a few years ago NONE of the Agamenticus trails were marked. Your picture of the sign from the second hill/third hill area, "Trails unmarked beyond this point," brought back painful memories.
On a drizzly May day I bought a new pair of Salomons from Kittery Trading Post and went to "Big A" to break them in. I took some muddy unmarked path to the top and thought I'd descend via the old ski slope, then slab around back to my car on the south side. Who needed a compass on such a puny peak? ME!!
Two hours later I finally came to civilization about five miles north of the third peak. I never even realized there was more than one!
If you're ever looking for a "local" place to get lost, that's the place to go! Muddy, wet, eaten alive by bugs, I finally begged a ride from a local who gave me a ride back to my car. As for the Salomons, they were a size too small and my big toes hurt like hell. I gave them to my daughter.

jt

It was made all the better when we stopped off at the Redhook Brewery for food and refreshment (I was cajoled into tasting some of the beer sampler by Russ even though I don't drink just so I could call it for V&B :D )

Brian - yes, Red Hook! Good place. That Russ can be quite influential :cool:

Marty -
As you may know, a few years ago NONE of the Agamenticus trails were marked. Your picture of the sign from the second hill/third hill area, "Trails unmarked beyond this point," brought back painful memories.

Big Moose - nice to hear from you since our meeting at BSP. Yes, the trails are well marked and very easy to follow since I last did them in 2004. I tried to "cajole" my niece that day into trying to get to Second Peak via a herd path/bushwhack. She declined. :confused: That must have been quite the day for you, ending up so far north. :eek: Were you in Wells?

Did you stop at Flo's after? :)

Ahh, Flo's. Where hot dogs with the chili sauce are king. That is quite the place for sure and the patrons are quite colorful. We actually ended up at going for Chinese food at the Tea Garden in Groveland, MA for lunch. Every restaurant in Georgetown was closed, so we just kept heading north on Rte. 97.:confused:

Thanks for all the replies, guys :)

Marty