Mt Field/Tom

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klutz

Reaction score
We're thinking about doing Mt Field/Tom this Sunday and I'm wondering if anyone has done this and are there stream crossings that may be diffiicult with all of this rain? Also the loop we may do is Avalon/A-Z/Willey then down Avalon from Mt Field. Does it make any difference which way to do these? In reverse? Just wondering as some loops are more difficult decending than others......any info/comments would be appreciated.

Klutz said:
We're thinking about doing Mt Field/Tom this Sunday and I'm wondering if anyone has done this and are there stream crossings that may be diffiicult with all of this rain?

The first two water crossings on the Avalon Trail (the first one not far after the Willard Trail junction) may be tricky. Beyond that, the crossings (2 more on the way to Mt. Tom) aren't too big.

Klutz said:
Also the loop we may do is Avalon/A-Z/Willey then down Avalon from Mt Field. Does it make any difference which way to do these? In reverse? Just wondering as some loops are more difficult decending than others......any info/comments would be appreciated.

Coming down to Mt. Avalon from Mt. Field, and then down to the Avalon/A-Z Trail junction from Mt. Avalon are both very steep and a bit rocky. Certainly nothing as bad as the North Slide of Tripyramid or Holt Trail up Mt. Cardigan, but nonetheless rather steep. If you're looking for a work out, ascend Avalon/Field first. Otherwise, if your knees can take it, descending is doable.

My first time around I went up to Tom, across to Field, continued to Willey, back to Field and down Avalon (catching Avalon itself) on the way down. I had bad knees at the time and made it through OK.

Tim

According to TOPO 4.0, A-Z up Tom is an average of 17%, and Avalon down from Field, including the detour to Avalon, is 17%, making Avalon/Field the steeper of the two.

That said, the steepest 0.25 mile stretch of trail on either route is 39%.

Tim

I did the exact same route last September after a day of heavy rain and had no issues at all with the stream crossings. They may be a little worse after prolonged rain, but shouldn't be too difficult. Going down the Avalon trail was a little tricky. It is kinda steep and rocky and if it's wet it will slow you down. The rocks were quite slippery and I lost my footing a couple times. All in all it wasn't a bad hike though. If I were to do it again, I would hike up the Avalon trail and down the A-Z/Avalon. Oh, and just to qualify my statement, I took a much worse slip and fall the next day going down the Starr King trail which is fairly benign.

You may get wet & you might plan on walking across the stream bottom Vs. trying to rock hop across & stay dry but I'm not thinking we are talking life threatening crossings.

Great! Thanks for all the info, after I discuss it more with hubby we'll decide which way to go. Sounds like it won't be much of an issue either way we go, course hubby will say, "it's up to you". I hate when he makes me decide..... ;)

Can't be much worse than the Tripyramid's, course we didn't do the "slides" either. We took the long way up, Scaur Ridge and Pine Bend Brook, which was steep enough, but not bad.

rocket21 said:
The first two water crossings on the Avalon Trail (the first one not far after the Willard Trail junction) may be tricky. Beyond that, the crossings (2 more on the way to Mt. Tom) aren't too big.

Are you sure even with all of this rain we've been getting......I'm not real sure if I want to chance any crossings.......I dunno.....any other thoughts on this area for stream crossings????

I've been across the lower crossings several times (none in the last week or so) in many different times of the year, including spring. I suspect that the rocks you normally hop across might be under water & it may be moving a bit faster than usual.

I'd suggest you leave the lot in sandals as the first crossing is at the very beginning. I'd be surprised if you couldn't cross the bottom one going any deeper than your knees, after you cross put your boots on. It's summer, it won't be that cold.

The other thing that is a huge plus, bring poles. They help on testing an area in front of you to make sure it's as deep as you think it is, as flat as you think & they really help with balance + they help you steady yourself in the current.

I was out last week in the ADK's in a stream (Indian Pass Brook, a bigger crossing than the Field/Tom crossings) that the ADK staff was warning people about. It was 6-8" above my knees (I'm 6') & moving pretty good as they have had a lot of rain. With poles, I never thought I was in any danger. That said, I'm not sure I would have crossed without the poles.

The streams I'd be leery about crossing this week on the standard approaches to the 4k peaks in the Whites would be Gale River, Little River (N. Twin Trail) the crossings on the Signal Ridge approach to Carrigain, Liberty might be interesting but should be okay.

The one peak no one should try by the regular route is Owl's Head from Lincoln Woods. Best way, IMO for doing Owl's Head this weekend is via bushwhack, either beyond the Franconia Falls Trail or Black Pond, both promise a whole lot of mud & the slide may resemble small cascades.

Last edited:
Klutz said:
Are you sure even with all of this rain we've been getting......I'm not real sure if I want to chance any crossings.......I dunno.....any other thoughts on this area for stream crossings????
We can't tell you exactly what you will find--the only way is for you to try it yourself.

If you go up to Tom first, then you will pass all stream crossings on the way up. If any of them look too big, you can back off. The real hazard is to get caught on the wrong side of a dangerous crossing and have to choose between crossing it or backtracking over the summits.

Doug

Klutz said:

The largest crossing is a flat 5 or so minutes into the hike. I've crossed it in higher spring waters without problem, but never after so much rain. Worst case scenario, you turn back, go across the street, and go up the Jackson Trail to Mt. Jackson or the Crawford Path to Mt Pierce. Those two, especially the latter, have no significantly large water crossings.

Klutz said:
Can't be much worse than the Tripyramid's, course we didn't do the "slides" either. We took the long way up, Scaur Ridge and Pine Bend Brook, which was steep enough, but not bad.

Naw, nowhere near the challenge of the Tripyramid slides. The only reason I emphasized that it's steep in those two sections of the Avalon Trail is that I think the hike gets a little underestimated - while Tom-Field-(Willey) are relatively easy in terms of a 4,000 footer 3-pack, the steeps are enough to either work up a sweat early in the day or get the knees a bit sore late in the day.

Great, guys I appreciate the input, we'll probably make a last minute descision to go or not to go.....depending on what we feel like Sunday morning.....