Mt Guyot Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://nhfishgame.com/2023/09/01/hiker-rescued-from-mount-guyot/
I was out yesterday and the rocks definitely seem to be generally slicker this wet summer.
"...The rainy weather has caused slippery trail conditions which have led to many of the injuries seen by Conservation Officers recently. Appropriate footwear should be worn while hiking; hiking boots that provide support, protection and traction are recommended...."

I wonder if the popularity of light weight trail running sneakers/shoes is contributing to the increase in lower leg injuries in wet trail conditions.

Absolutely no ankle support to ease an impact to the tib-fib area!

"...The rainy weather has caused slippery trail conditions which have led to many of the injuries seen by Conservation Officers recently. Appropriate footwear should be worn while hiking; hiking boots that provide support, protection and traction are recommended...."

I wonder if the popularity of light weight trail running sneakers/shoes is contributing to the increase in lower leg injuries in wet trail conditions.

Trail runners allow your ankle to flex, as it is intended. Ankle mobility would lessen injuries to the lower leg, not increase them.

a high boot will not prevent an ankle break and may actually increase the odds. I wear only trail runners after many years in boots and have better traction than in stiff boots and no longer suffer any of the pains and injuries I used to have.

My Hoka Speedgoats are by far the grippiest footwear I've ever owned. Did a Pemi loop two weeks ago in them, slipped like maybe once, just a small bit. I actually tested the grip on wet and dry a bunch of times, and just couldn't get myself to slide down the rock.

Reading the NHFG press release, it sounds like the hiker was heading down from Mt Bond to the shelter when this happened (carried 2/10 mi to the overflow), on day one of three. That means the all the really hard stuff was yet to come. That said, even on an easy hike, I think about how a single misstep could result in a tumble down with fractures or worse. You have to watch every single foot placement.

My Hoka Speedgoats are by far the grippiest footwear I've ever owned. Did a Pemi loop two weeks ago in them, slipped like maybe once, just a small bit. I actually tested the grip on wet and dry a bunch of times, and just couldn't get myself to slide down the rock.

Reading the NHFG press release, it sounds like the hiker was heading down from Mt Bond to the shelter when this happened (carried 2/10 mi to the overflow), on day one of three. That means the all the really hard stuff was yet to come. That said, even on an easy hike, I think about how a single misstep could result in a tumble down with fractures or worse. You have to watch every single foot placement.
Speedgoat trail runners or mids?

I did my ankle in with midheight boots. I am convinced that high boots just create more leverage on the joint.
I totally agree. I wrecked my ankle in "bullet proof" Asolo boots back in 2013. I've been wearing trail runners for 5-6 years now and don't "half-roll" my ankles anywhere near as often as I did in boots. I think that is a myth that high boots prevent ankle injuries. Many trail runners have a much lower "drop" or a zero drop (my personal preference) compared to a boot and this further helps with stability.

And as far as sole grip, I would again give the nod to trail runners. Most of the models I use have much better traction than any boot I ever owned.

You have to watch every single foot placement.
That is ultimately the key whatever you are wearing. Keeping your weight under yourself goes a long way toward preventing a slip or fall. Even with a good shoe in good conditions if you get out of balance you can take a spill, especially as the terrain gets steeper.

My Hoka Speedgoats are by far the grippiest footwear I've ever owned.
The girl I hike with has a pair of those and they seem awful in steep and wet conditions (I don't know what model she has). We came down Nelson Crag back in July and she skidded and fell (nothing major) about 10 times in the section below tree line. She is a reasonably experienced hiker on difficult terrain and seemed to slip a lot more than she had in her previous shoes (not Hoka). I only slipped once or twice and I would blame my positioning for both (I wear Innov8's with the Graphene soles and find them to be very good for traction on the beefier White's trails).

Does Hoka have different sole composition types on their models? The Hoka's get really high ratings in general and have drawn my interest in the past but never tried a pair.

I just bought a pair of Hoka speedgoats to try them out. After slogging through the summer in wet heavy boots (Oboz Bridgers) I'm ready to give them a shot. I have been wearing the Hoka Bondi 7 for a couple of years now for my morning walks (7.5 miles) and they have saved my feet. The Speedgoats have Vibram soles, so I'm looking forward to trying them out, they fit like a glove.

The girl I hike with has a pair of those and they seem awful in steep and wet conditions (I don't know what model she has). We came down Nelson Crag back in July and she skidded and fell (nothing major) about 10 times in the section below tree line. She is a reasonably experienced hiker on difficult terrain and seemed to slip a lot more than she had in her previous shoes (not Hoka). I only slipped once or twice and I would blame my positioning for both (I wear Innov8's with the Graphene soles and find them to be very good for traction on the beefier White's trails).

Does Hoka have different sole composition types on their models? The Hoka's get really high ratings in general and have drawn my interest in the past but never tried a pair.

Not sure about what all the models of Hokas have for tread - these are Speedgoat 4's with Vibram soles, lugs, and some type of EVA foam mid layer.

I have another pair of Hokas, the Bondi 7, I think intended for jogging on pavement, or standing / walking at work (such as I use them for). Super cushioned. I've hiked easy trails in them, would say they don't have the grip of the Speedgoats - no lugs on the Bondis.

Got both of these from the REI re/supply (aka garage sale) for cheap and like new.

I think as in all hiking gear choices, maybe particularly in footwear, your mileage may vary with any particular item.

The Speedgoats have Vibram soles, so I'm looking forward to trying them out, they fit like a glove.

As you probably know, Vibram is just a brand. Some of their soles are junk, others are quite good.
The Vibram soles used on the Limmer Standard and Custom is pretty grippy and the stiff sole can aid or maybe ease traction. (I do not wear them for their high cuff.) I would be surprised if many trail runners had grippier soles, save for approach style shoes or other specialized shoes that have an expecially soft/gummy rubber.)

As you probably know, Vibram is just a brand. Some of their soles are junk, others are quite good.
The Vibram soles used on the Limmer Standard and Custom is pretty grippy and the stiff sole can aid or maybe ease traction. (I do not wear them for their high cuff.) I would be surprised if many trail runners had grippier soles, save for approach style shoes or other specialized shoes that have an expecially soft/gummy rubber.)
That is true, there are many variations of Vibram soles. I'm hoping they grip well, I might not like the weight of my Oboz boots, but they excel in the traction dept.

The Hoka Speedgoat has Vibram Megagrip with Traction Lug. Haven’t researched that sole. Maybe someone here has familiarity with it.

I'm on my second pair of Hoka Speedgoat with mega grip.
Very grippy, soles are a little wider than a normal shoe, very cushiony, wear out very fast, tread is about 50% on second pair, less than 200 miles, but 100 of them were on Presi rocks.
Upper material is also wearing.

Might be my imagination or just a slimier summer but this pair seemed slightly less grippy on smoother rocks. I was slipping on green rocks on upper DW Scout and Crawford path, that I didn't expect to.

I'm on my second pair of Hoka Speedgoat with mega grip.
Very grippy, soles are a little wider than a normal shoe, very cushiony, wear out very fast, tread is about 50% on second pair, less than 200 miles, but 100 of them were on Presi rocks.
Upper material is also wearing.

Might be my imagination or just a slimier summer but this pair seemed slightly less grippy on smoother rocks. I was slipping on green rocks on upper DW Scout and Crawford path, that I didn't expect to.
For whatever reason, I feel like the rocks and ledges have been slicker this year too. I just replaced my Innov8's with a new pair and still have the occasion skid. Soles on their shoes are very good on rocks and ledge and wear quite well. I think I got about 400+ miles out of the last pair and they were hardly trashed. They had just lost a lot of tread. I do mostly ledgy trails like the Presi's, various ridges, etc so I give the shoes a good work out.

I guess with all the moisture there might be a bit more algae or moss or whatever on the rocks.

For whatever reason, I feel like the rocks and ledges have been slicker this year too. I just replaced my Innov8's with a new pair and still have the occasion skid. Soles on their shoes are very good on rocks and ledge and wear quite well. I think I got about 400+ miles out of the last pair and they were hardly trashed. They had just lost a lot of tread. I do mostly ledgy trails like the Presi's, various ridges, etc so I give the shoes a good work out.

I guess with all the moisture there might be a bit more algae or moss or whatever on the rocks.
It has been very treacherous out there this summer. I think you nailed it; the constant state of moisture has added a layer of slime to what is normally pretty grippy surfaces. I have found myself side stepping down slabs, I used to walk down because I've lost my footing a lot more than normal this year. It doesn't help that I have a 62 lb Aussie tied to my pack, he doesn't seem to notice the slick conditions as I do. Let me tell you, when that leash goes taught, you better be ready, lol.