Fatality on Mt. Guyot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those wacky micro-weather issues can be quite bizarre. Two Summers ago I watched the weirdest thunderstorm I have ever seen while traveling the Crawford Path between Lakes Of The Clouds And Pierce. As I was leaving the summit of Washington I could hear and see thunder and lightning in the area of Crawford Notch. I was a bit concerned because that was where I had parked and was heading. It was relatively nice where I was but the dark clouds were coming.

It seemed to be moving pretty slowly so I continued as planned. I went around Monroe vs summiting it again to be safe. As I was coming down the lawn between Monroe and Eisenhower it was clear the weather was coming right at me. So I stopped in a low spot to get a better look at what it was doing. And that is when I realized how small it was. I mean SMALL. The entire area of the "storm" would not have been able to cover a football stadium, maybe just the actual field, and it was moving absurdly slowly. But it had rain, thunder and lightning. I wound up just sitting there and watching it slowly glide by me as it went up the valley just North of me heading toward the Northern Presi's. It looked like it was being sustained by the updraft out of the valley toward the shoulder of Clay and Jefferson. It literally took about 30 minutes to cover the distance from Pierce to Clay. Was really cool and bizarre.

Photo attached. That rain in center is literally the whole storm. It had circling winds, thunder, rain and an occasional flash that lasted the whole time I watched it. Nature is cool.
They have storms that look like that in Florida. Usually they move faster, but otherwise similar to what you describe.

Those wacky micro-weather issues can be quite bizarre. Two Summers ago I watched the weirdest thunderstorm I have ever seen while traveling the Crawford Path between Lakes Of The Clouds And Pierce. As I was leaving the summit of Washington I could hear and see thunder and lightning in the area of Crawford Notch. I was a bit concerned because that was where I had parked and was heading. It was relatively nice where I was but the dark clouds were coming.

It seemed to be moving pretty slowly so I continued as planned. I went around Monroe vs summiting it again to be safe. As I was coming down the lawn between Monroe and Eisenhower it was clear the weather was coming right at me. So I stopped in a low spot to get a better look at what it was doing. And that is when I realized how small it was. I mean SMALL. The entire area of the "storm" would not have been able to cover a football stadium, maybe just the actual field, and it was moving absurdly slowly. But it had rain, thunder and lightning. I wound up just sitting there and watching it slowly glide by me as it went up the valley just North of me heading toward the Northern Presi's. It looked like it was being sustained by the updraft out of the valley toward the shoulder of Clay and Jefferson. It literally took about 30 minutes to cover the distance from Pierce to Clay. Was really cool and bizarre.

Photo attached. That rain in center is literally the whole storm. It had circling winds, thunder, rain and an occasional flash that lasted the whole time

Photo attached. That rain in center is literally the whole storm. It had circling winds, thunder, rain and an occasional flash that lasted the whole time I watched it. Nature is cool.
That sounds like a very cool experience. Those are called "Micro climates".

Living in the shadow of the Whites I see these micro storms quite often during the warmer months of the year.

Some summers ago, I was camping in the woods a little below the summit of Whitewall Mtn. The forecast had been for clear weather, and I was sleeping in my tent without, of course, the rain fly. I woke up being rained upon, and I dashed outside to throw up the fly quickly and to bring in my pack. As I looked around, there was moonlight, and I could see the stars, except directly overhead, where a small dark cloud was raining on me.