Mt Guyot Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, overall impressions- any recs for grippiest shoe out there ?
Kind of a loaded question as the very grippiest shoes (i.e., soft climbing rubber) will suffer on the durability front. Vibram MegaGrip and La Sportiva Frixion XF/White get excellent marks for grip and are durable "enough" for northeast rock. I'm very happy in la sportiva ultra raptors. Approach shoes tend to have even stickier/softer rubber, and can often be re-soled when they wear out, but I prefer burlier trail runners for comfort and support (not talking ankle support; my flat feet appreciate a little extra stability/structure underfoot for any outing more than a few miles).

Some years ago, I wore a pair of Salomon Men's X Ultra Mid 2 GTX Multifunctional boots that had the grippiest soles I've ever worn (Amazon.com | Salomon Men's X Ultra Mid 2 GTX-M, Black/Aluminum, 9.5 M US | Hiking Boots). It was some sort of proprietary sole, not Vibram (which, as noted above, is highly variable in quality). This particular model of Salomon boot has been discontinued, but I assume that there is a similar, newer model. I wore them all over the Whites and the Adirondacks, and they are my standard for judging the grip of all other boots. The only drawback, and the reason I haven't used them lately, is that the soles were rather thin, and I could feel nearly every pebble underfoot. Still, I have a new pair in reserve in case it's ever appropriate for me to have maximum traction. They are very light weight, and if you need a lot of support, they may not be appropriate.

I messed up my ankle a year and half ago and one of the long term issues is going downhill. I have to use poles and look at every step and bacially assume I am going to slip until proven otherwise, It makes for a slow descent, but traction is not really an issue. I also have size 13 EEEE feet so my options are limited on shoe selection. I have used variations of New Balances trail runners over 20 years but sadly they are slowly phasing out the extra wide lasts that fit me and others so well. When I see then for sale I usually buy a pair ahead. They have reasonable traction although over the years some versions will randomly have more of less traction usually going hand in hand with the durability of the tread. IMHO Traction goes hand in hand with rubber compound, a good sticky approach shoe is typically going to wear out its sole faster than harder sole.

Innov8. The use some sort of proprietary Graphene rubber compound in their soles and I find them very good for grip on terrain we see in the Whites and they wear very slowly. I had never heard of the brand until an article I read on The Trek reviewing shoes. I particularly noted that the user had 460 miles and counting on his pair and they was still plenty of sole. That has been my experience too. Just got my second pair last month (and if you can stomach ugly colors they were available at a huge discount on some sites for close outs). I wear the G270's but they have many models.

If you don't mind replacing your shoes every year the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor had awesome grip, maybe the best I've ever experienced, but the soft rubber wears quickly and is generally toast in 150-200 miles of rough use (Presi rocks, ledges, gravel, etc).

I ripped tendons in both ankles first time when in high school football. 2nd time freak twist off a curb. The 1st one never healed and would twist over with aweful pain by something as a small indent in the ground. Up until my late 30's. It was not until I started wearing ankle support high top type day hikers all winter and Asolo 520's when hiking did it heal. I haven't set it off since. And had many twists on loose rocks while hiking and the Asolo's. saved me each time. I'll never wear low non ankle supports for most of my long hiks. Short easy ones I can get by with low cut day hikers.

Vibram mega grip is well named. It sticks like glue most of the time. I did experience this summers “slime” rocks yesterday coming down the wamsutta. Nice and overgrown at the top and a slip and slide after.