Mt. Jefferson via the Caps Ridge Trail 07/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
On Thursday (07/06) Marty and I hiked the Tripyramids where I was able to tag 32 and 33 of the NH 48K's (see Marty's report in NH Trail Conditions). Sunday provided a window of opportunity for Mt. Jefferson.

I had been thwarted in my previous attempts at this peak. A few years ago a hailstorm caused me to take shelter in the Castles and with the ominous approach of further stormy weather I decided (wisely as it turned out) to climb no further. Not so yesterday. Excellent trail conditions and a beautiful day allowed me to tag #34. The scramble over the Caps was strenuous at times but also quite a bit of fun. The views were superb in spite of some haziness. The warm humid temps at the beginning of the hike gave way to winds at the summit at around 25 to 30mph, cool and pleasant and requiring an extra layer. I spent about three quarters of an hour at the top having some great conversations and exchanging stories with fellow hikers. Although the flies were not particularly bothersome going up bug juice was necessary on the descent especially in the Caps themselves where the bugs were really swarming. At one point I found it necessary to don my headnet as well. However, they seemed to thin out at about 3800 feet or so.

Marty, it was great to hike with you again and best of luck on Katahdin!

Ray