Mt. Katahdin this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegalJoey

Reaction score
My friends and I are heading up to Baxter this weekend to hike Mt. Katahdin. We'll be staying in Medway Saturday night and hiking Katahdin on Sunday morning. I'd appreciate opinions on how early we should get to the gate in order for us to be able to hike. I've read other sources that suggest anywhere between 4:30 and 6:30 AM.
Thanks.

Given that's it's going to be a beautiful Labor Day weekend, I would get there super early. When we hiked Katahdin two years ago, we got in line between 3:30 and 4 a.m.... and we were maybe the fourth or fifth car there. That wasn't a holiday weekend, but the rangers said they were only letting 35 cars in on that particular Saturday.

Have a great hike, Katahdin is a fantastic mountain!

- Ivy

Personally, I would try and get in line by 3am on a holiday weekend to have an excellent chance for a day pass to Roaring Brook, Abol, or Katahdin Stream. There will likely be 100 cars in line by 5am...

Frodo, as I sit here slothing out on some tacos, I'm in amazment over your avatar photo. It's called two trips man! What is that like a 190 pound pack plus a shovel you yanked out of your garage?

Last edited: