Mt. Mansfield 09/16/2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
Mt. Mansfield for #65 09/16/2007

I picked up Marty at his house at about 5 am and we set off for the long journey to Mt. Mansfield where I would attempt to tag # 65 in the NE 67 K's. I was a bit disappointed to find that the summit was socked in with fog as we made our initial approach in my truck. It had been a long drive and the weather had been promising. However our spirits were high and we ascended via the steep Laura Cowles Trail. The trail was very wet with a considerable amount of running water in places which made for slippery footing. We passed a few cheerful folk were descending the trail and who had chosen this lesser travelled route for there ascent as well. It's a relentless upward climb so, like the two of us, you have to enjoy steep, challenging trails. They really keep you focused.

So far the views were obscured by heavy fog with only the occasional promise of the sun breaking through. The Cowles Trail stays mostly below treeline until it joins the Long Trail at the upper ridge. Our ambitious plan was to link up with the Profanity Trail, descend to the Taft Lodge and then ascend again to the Adam's Apple where we would connect once again with the Long Trail for the steep ascent to the Mansfield summit from the south. After a bit of searching we spotted the sign for the Profanity Trail and we were underway. This trail was wet and extremely!! steep and rather slow going. However during our descent the sun gloriously broke through the clouds and the fog quickly lifted revealing the stunning views of the valley below. It was to be a gorgeous sunny day from here on.

We spent a little time investigating the Taft Lodge and then ascended a more moderate trail to the Adam's Apple, a spur peak of Mansfield with breathtaking views. Since our goal was to get as much out of these trails as possible we even hiked down to the Lake of the Clouds. However the herd path leading towards the lake was muddy and overgrown and afforded no viable opportunity to get to the edge of the lake itself except by continuing to bushwhack further on which neither of us was inclined to do. We were soon making our way to the Mansfield summit via the Long Trail. This is also a steep summit approach with lots of handholds required and more that a little nerve in spots.

The views from the Mansfield summit are gorgeous. The Mansfield area is truly a very special place. Mission accomplished we made our way down the Sunset Ridge Trail enjoying it's expansive, generous views. This was truly an awesome hiking experience and will be one of my most memorable! Thanks for sharing it with me, Marty. It's always great hiking with you my friend.

Ray

pics at: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560742414QXXMEq

Last edited:
Nice!

Glad to hear the clouds broke for you. They never did for us on Wednesday last week. We had views from Taft Lodge, but above that was socked in. Coming down the Profanity Trail from the summit was like descending a waterfall, as it had rained heavily the night before. The next day we drove up the Toll Road and crossed the ridge with good views. What a beautiful place! Would like to climb the Sunset Ridge Trail someday.

KDT

Ray - great hiking with you again, as always. Fabulous photos, too :D

It was nice to do this as a long loop and get to experience the Laura Cowles River and scramble to the ridge, Profanity Stream, the Lodge, Adams Apple (the best), the lake, the scramble up the summit and of course, the most excellent Sunset Ridge. I strongly recommend this loop for anyone doing Mansfield!

Looking forward to hiking with you soon, my friend. Congrats on #65/67.

Regards,
Marty