Mt. Monroe & Mt. Washington 2-2-05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimom

Reaction score
I’m not sure what happened or what, if anything, I did to deserve having the mountain gods smile upon me, but on Wednesday, February 2nd, they did.

I left the house at 6 a.m., and was headed up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail at just before 9 a.m. The trail was hard packed snow and easy to bareboot. I had read all the trail conditions reports and knew that it was only a matter of time (and elevation) before I would need crampons, which I promptly put on at the first serious icy steeps.

The day was warm and clear with the sky a deep blue. As I climbed, the sun rose over the ridge and streamed down the ravine. By the time I reached the Lakes of the Clouds Hut, it was so warm that I stripped down to just a tee-shirt and donned my sunglasses. There was a gentle breeze every so often; otherwise the air was as still as could be.

I headed straight up to Mt. Monroe and took in the 360 degree views that surrounded me. Not another soul in sight. I was alone, and I felt like I was on top of the world. The summit of Mt. Washington was perfectly clear, and as I watched it, I thought I better get up there before the weather changes and clouds roll in.

I headed back to the Hut, and had every intention of not stopping, but I couldn’t resist the pull of the sun. I took off my pack, laid down on the exposed rocks and basked in the warmth. Not a cloud to be seen and here I am hanging out in my tee-shirt, in February, in the White Mountains.

I headed up Crawford Path to the summit of Mt. Washington where I meet one other single hiker. The only one I will meet, or see, all day. He offers to take my picture with the sign. Thank you! And we sit and chat for a moment.

I am in awe of all that surrounds me (minus the summit apparatus), and I get a little choked up. Not sure if that’s just me, or maybe it’s girl-thing, or possibly it happens to other hikers, I don’t know. At this point, I don’t care.

I head down the way I came up. Into the sun, which now tans my left arm to match my right arm which got the sun on the way up.

Picking over the exposed rocks and crunching over the ice slabs, makes the journey interesting and time goes by quickly. Too soon, I’m back at the hut and headed down.

The day had warmed up sufficiently enough that I didn’t need to add a layer all the way down. I returned to the parking lot at just after 2:30 p.m. I’m still in my tee-shirt, and I get quite a few looks from the folks hanging around who are all wearing hats, gloves, and heavy coats.

I feel very fortunate to have had an opportunity to hike on one of the rare days that Mt. Washington is clear and the sky cloudless.

I smiled all the way home …. I’m still smiling now when I think about it.

Only 6 left to go in NH … but a lifetime of hikes are left to be had. This one, however, will be tough to beat.

http://community.webshots.com/album/265932946nsYGGn

Reactions: arm
Congrats on a great hike! You sure picked a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing the pics.

PS - getting choked up when surronded by such awesome beauty is not just a girl thing.

Nice Photo's

Hey Skimom,
Nice Hike and nice photo's. Seeing a photo of someone at Lake in the Clouds. In January with no hat, no ear protection, no glove's, and a short sleeve shirt is simply amazing. :cool:

Great pics and what a great day and a great achievement.

Keep me posted on your remaining hikes and especially for #48.

Bob

Most totally excellent!

Being on the summit of Washington in February in short sleeves, no hat, etc. is just plain *wrong*.
:D

Last edited:
Great pictures Skimom! What a great day to be out....keep on smiling!

Great pictures, Skimom!

I'm sitting here salivating at these pictures and wondering why oh why
do I have to work in an office every day, and why can't I just
hike all the time! (must win lottery)

I remember getting very choked up on Isolation. Not sure if it was because of the beauty of Isolation in the winter or because I was just so happy to see the summit I got emotional!

Very Inspiring!

Reading about your hike and looking @ your great pictures, makes me feel like I was right there with you :)

Feelings seem to be quite different(more alive) doing it by yourself, as you must be more careful and greater attention is paid to everything which heightens the senses which add to the emotional "high" :)

Congratulations and hope you have more great ones before finishing the "48" and moving on :)

Hike On!! :)

I know how you feel Skimom and I’m still smiling, too. Meri and I went up to Adams that morning from Gray Knob and a bit later we ran into Spider solo on the way to Jefferson. Standing on the windless, sunny summit, we were three very happy hikers who couldn't believe our good luck. It's great to know that we weren’t the only ones enjoying such an incredibly fine day.

Great report and pictures.

Wow.

I just want to say:

Lucky You.

I'm rarely ever jealous about other people's hikes but I am about this one. Sounds like a great hike. Have fun on Waumbek with David.

-Wu

Thanks everyone !!

Sherpa - I was thinking about that fact and almost asked the guy to take the picture and make sure he got my crampons in just so there's no question :rolleyes:

I bet you had similar hikes in Baxter this past weekend ... how beautiful it must have been. I can't wait to see the pics!

Great going Skimom

Wow! I'm so jealous...you had wonderful weather on Washington in Winter...that's hard to come by. Great trip report. Enjoy the rest of your hikes.