Mt. Roberts, Faraway Mt Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
We started from the parking at the end of the Ossipee Park Road. We headed up the paved park road to the turn around at the gazebo. Took the logging trail up to the Cold Spring trail then a second logging trail up to the Faraway Mtn. trail. Stayed on the Faraway trail for three switchbacks then took a skidder track and a contraband ski trail up to the high ridge trail. We hit the High Ridge trail shortly before the Faraway Mt. spur which we took to the summit of Faraway Mt. We then retraced our path to the High Ridge Trail which we followed to Mt. Roberts. We then descended the Mt. Roberts trail.

There were no stream crossings on the entire loop that were not bridged by wooden bridges.

There was no snow of any significance until we reached the High Ridge trail. There was still a fair bit of snow on the High Ridge trail from Faraway Mt. to Mt. Roberts. However, it was not difficult to bareboot it and no spikes or snowshoes are necessary. The spur out to Faraway Mt. was also pretty well covered in snow.

There was a lot of Moose poop up on the High Ridge trail but we didn't run into any Moose today although I could tell from Lauky's reaction a couple of times that a couple of them were not far away.

The views from Mt. Roberts and on the upper ledges of the Mt. Roberts trail were spectacular today. There are no views from Faraway Mt. but there is a large clearing up there. I'm guessing it's to permit the use of helicopters to service the relay tower up there.

We saw Daemon and Mark Howes at the trailhead in the morning. It's been about six years since I last ran into Mark.

Many thanks to the Trail Bandit who E-mailed me after our trail report on Mt. Shaw last week and gave me the plan for the loop today with all the shortcuts. :) It's an outstanding loop which should be done counter clockwise by the way so you can get the views while descending the Mt. Roberts trail.

[email protected]

Last edited: