Mt. Tecumseh via Mt. Tecumseh Trail, Sosman Trail, and ski area haul road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewKnight

Reaction score
Mt. Tecumseh July 13th

Trail Conditions: Very good -- a few surprisingly wet patches (wetter than earlier spring hikes), but trail clear and well maintained

Special Equipment Required: Bug spray optional but probably not essential, good supply of water on this humid day

Comments: After living literally in the shadow of Tecumseh for two years, I decided I was long overdue to add it to my list. First third is a lovely hike along an archetypal mountain stream and across an open hardwood ridge. The final two-thirds are a pretty sturdy slog up a rock-strewn old road -- mildly challenging but not too tough, but with limited views most of the way. Today, temps were perfect (high 60s) and a light breeze kept things fairly comfortable and chased the bugs away. The humidity was very high, though, with occasional mist and light rain later. Shared summit with a few familiar faces, then headed back down the Sosman to the top of Waterville Valley Ski Area, then picked up the haul road for an easier-on-the-knees descent.

It's worth noting that trails we ski down in the winter -- trails which always seem too flat and invite straight-lining to keep speed up -- seem downright scary steep in places in the summer. Go figure.

Your name: DrewKnight