Mt. Washington - 01/08/2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you all had a blast! How do I get in on a trip like this?!

Great T/R as always, and also loved the b/w pics... my favs were definitely the kings and queens. I prefer wooden spoons myself! Glad you guys had a blast!

Mt.Washington

Nice TR and love the pics!!!
It was great meeting you! The day couldn't have been more perfect!
kmac

Yes - It was a fun time and its always nice meeting new folks and establishing new "hiking buddies". I had a great time! :D

washington is always a fun mt

Did we have some laughs or what? The dude on the jewell trail story :eek: , that moody guy :eek: MF-R'er :D Me using boiling water and gatorade to mix with my cous cous (mistake) :( - not recommeded!

Thanks to mary-ellen for bring the best food of the night - the peanut butter balls and thanks to spencer, artec, kmac and marsha for just coming!

this trip was the finale in what was a great overall weekend that started friday night at barnes feild. Spencer and I were going to climb south gully in hunts but the ava danger was too high for our danger threshold so we did a day of snow anchor practice, running belays, etc....... then we hiked in the late afternoon up to huntington ravine to a bit before the fan to see the sights and then went up to hermit lake to do the same for tucks - We tossed the idea (spencer and I) of climbing washie sat night in the moolight, but decided against it.

MEB, Marsha and Kmac met us at the harvard cabin (they did the carters that day) that night for some laughs and good eats and then - the rest is in jamies report. :)

just a good fun weekend and a few washington winter firsts as well for artex, marsha and kmac :D :D :D. number one is always a nice feeling on george washie to get that 1 winter climb.

thanks to all for making it fun!!

Last edited:
Looks like a great trip! Did you guys use ice axes? I saw at least one in the picture. I have never run into anything in the Whites yet that I thought required an ice axe, however, I have only been on regular trails. Is Lions Head really that steep?

OMG!!! What a fun weekend!!! Thanks Jamie for writing the trip report and I just love the black and white picutres! Saturday night at Harvard Cabin was a real treat after waking up stone cold on Friday night. :eek: I wish I had more energy though to stay up with the rest of you guys. Thanks everyone for all the laughs!!!

Abster, The Lions Head trail is very steep! I left my ice axe at home for some reason but was able to make it up and dpwn with just my ski poles. There was one spot that was a bit tricky but there were plenty of roots and trees top grab onto.

-MEB

MEB said:
Abster, The Lions Head trail is very steep! I left my ice axe at home for some reason but was able to make it up and dpwn with just my ski poles. There was one spot that was a bit tricky but there were plenty of roots and trees top grab onto.
There are also places on the snowfields where self-arrest could be needed, especially in crusty/icy conditions. People have slid long distances up there.

-dave-

Jasonst said:
Looks like you all had a blast! How do I get in on a trip like this?!

Maybe the question is rhetorical, but if not...

One way is to read the 'Trips and Events' section regularly.

Another way would be to post your list of what you want to do, perhaps on the "2006 - What's on the Table" Thread, or by starting your own thread.

I want the dirt on Mr Moody

I'd be curious to hear about the moody jerk you encountered. I expect to run into people who don't respect the rules, people who put themselves in danger because they have no clue (see below-this has been me), etc. But I usually wouldn't expect to run into moody jerks on the trail. What did he do or say to earn his place in your memory books?

I once got yelled at on the trail. I went out on a casual climb with some friends in Oregon and I wasn't prepared. We all had sneakers but my friends had better snekaers and/or were more agile. My sneakers just didn't cut it. I ended up scurrying down the mountain on all four. Some guy yelled at me and claimed that I was destrying the trail. I thought he was wrong, that I wasn't doing any damage. But I also admit I was a jerk for going out unprepared and I never let that happen again.

"that moody guy"

Slowpoke,

The "moody guy" that giggy was referring to was about the guy who was found foraging in the pit toilet for his wedding ring. :eek: :eek:

-MEB

Abster said:
Did you guys use ice axes? I saw at least one in the picture. I have never run into anything in the Whites yet that I thought required an ice axe, however, I have only been on regular trails. Is Lions Head really that steep?
I wouldn't attempt Lions head in winter without one--it is often an easy snow climb. An axe is a good balance aid and there are places where you can slide a long way. (I have witnessed one such slide. Fortunately her injuries were minor--she failed to self-arrest and was stopped by some trees (it was fairly low down on the trail).)

Doug

Abster - this is a touchy subject - as many of the new "mountaineering" experts (chris connelly's book comes to mind) are actually saying that poles are better for the lower angled snow (like you see on lions head winter route) -

personally, I use an axe - but I have done that route a good few times and always see people using poles with ease on the route.

but lets remember that MEB is an experienced winter hiker and very comfy on this type of terrain.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I thought wearing crampons and using poles would do the trick, however, your feet can come out from underneath you occasionally.........

I'll have to give Lions Head a try!