Mt Washington 12/28/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbcbd

Reaction score
Where: The rockpile

Who: Me and friends I hadn't seen in a while

Why: Bag the meanest, gnarliest peak of the East coast (you mainers stay out of this)

A friend visiting from WA state was up in N Conway to do some fun winter stuff, including finally bagging his home coast's highest peak... We did some ice climbing at Arethusa on the 27th (because we were lazy and got up late) and left the summit bid for the 28th.

My friend from WA actually got sick the previous day so it was another friend of mine from CT and his buddy going up. Let's call them Rick and Dan .

With 5" of new snow overnight we canned plans of going up the Tuckerman headwall because of avy concerns, so us and the rest of everyone else at Pinkham took the Lion's Head winter route, which was in pretty good conditions and got pretty packed.

Winds had been gusting in the 60s... getting above treeline, with the wind on our faces... Dan admitted that he had forgotten his goggles/balaclava so I just knew that if the winds persisted we'd have to turn back. Tisk tisk, Dan.

Well, we get to Lion's Head and the wind just stops! Hot diggity! The clouds disappear from the ravine and the sun starts feeling a little "hot".

P1000421.jpg

We make it up to a balmy summit , temps at around 20 degrees and the winds not a worry. The Northern pressies were revealed and Southern were in the clouds.

l_63d5601faae3eb36679527833b44584e.jpg

We take our time on the way down and there are some bottlenecks on the trail below treeline which has us waiting almost half an hour at the steeper steps!

We make it down a packed powder T-ravine trail and in time to get out of the parking lot before rush hour!

Celebratory Tuckerman Ravine Ales and hamburgers were had all around. Great day to be out and glad one of my buddies got to get up the rocks in style.

P1000438.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics and report, that looked very enjoyable!! Left Gully is lookin' fairly rippable minus the avy conditions, The Chute too. :drool:

Loved the undercast, nice shots.

Wow! Fantastic images! I really like the view of the Southern Presidentials and undercast. Thanks for sharing!

happy trails :)

"We take our time on the way down and there are some bottlenecks on the trail below treeline which has us waiting almost half an hour at the steeper steps!"

Just like the Hillary Step, eh? But, better outcome than 1996 on Everest. :)