Mt Washington summit crowds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Post

Smitty 77. Agree, that was a very well written and interesting post..For you and your family, the road, restaurant is an important rescource, etc and I honestly respect that. ( In a similiar way, I confess that I love the Blue Ridge Parkway in W. N. Carolina. It allows me to get my wife into the mountains w/o the long climb. She's not an outdoor type and doesn't understand my hiking addiction altho she tolerates it. So I understand your thoughts completely).You said it well and glad you were able to experience. Maybe I'll have a change of heart and drive my LOML up next time I'm there :)

This has been a good thread, and I have enjoyed the many views expressed.
I have hiked up Washington several times as well as bicycled up. Riding up- where it was raining on the bottom, and sleeting on the top, with winds that were blowing people sideways, still stands as one of my finest cycling achievements. Also, having my dad and older brother up there to greet me as I reached the summit was an added bonus. As a side note, my brother quit smoking that day and vowed to get back in shape (which he did) after seeing the cyclists make it up the mountain. So, like many of you, I have no problems with the crowds of non-hikers at the summit. My only regret was I didn’t get one of those “I bicycled up Mt. Washington” bumper stickers…

smitty77 said:
Plus, if just one of those folks comes off the mountain with a desire to become "one of us" and ends up being a steward of the wilderness, then it is worth it.

Yup. You won't want to protect it, if you don't understand how great it is.

Great post, Smitty...it's important to have those "special places"...wherever they are and however you got there.