Mts. Eisenhower, Franklin and Monroe and "how do you do" to a fox 07/22/07.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
Mts. Eisenhower, Franklin and Monroe and "how do you do" to a fox 07/22/07.

Lately I have been revisiting some post 48k favorites. I got off to a late start on Sunday and, since the weather was so good, decided to do Mt. Eisenhower via the Edmands path. The weather and the views were so fine that I extended my hike over Mt. Franklin and down to Monroe with a quick stop at Lakes of the Clouds hut. It was close to 5pm when I left the Monroe summit for the trek back. I met only one hiker on the entire way back. It was awesome being on the vast Southern Presidential ridge alone, very silent, very peaceful. Suddenly I had some unexpected company in the area of the Franklin/Eisenhower col. I spotted a red fox making his way up the path. He made his way to a ledge to my left as I quickly fumbled in my pack for my camera. He was pretty bold and eventually made a bee line toward me stopping just about ten feet short of where I was standing. All sorts of thoughts went through my mind including the possibility of this animal being rabid. I could see that he was sniffing in the direction of my pack, probably wanting food. He's probably learned that hikers are good for a few free tidbits. I think he concluded that I was a stiff and decided to move on, which he did and straight down the Crawford path in a northerly direction.

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this fox? I understand that there have been some fox sightings on Mt. Washington (lots of tidbits there). By the way I've decided to name him Franklin since I encountered him in the Eisenhower/Franklin col. After all, old Ben was foxy kind of fella.

See pics at: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560011290cqqdMu?vhost=good-times

Ray

Fox

I have seen fox on the summit of Mount Washington several times. I have seen 2 at once on one occasion. They will get within 10 feet, looking for handouts. They are definitely resident, I have seen them on warm days in mid winter, venturing out, driven by hunger, looking for handouts before returning to the den to sleep for a few more days. I have seen one at Marshfield Station, too. I bet they're all related.

KDT

Last edited:
Ray, that sounds similar to an encounter I had with a fox on Bond Cliff Trail the day before, which is described in my TR. Sounds like a wonderful day on Crawford Path above treeline, and your timing afforded you peace and quiet. There's something special about being the only person in such a place.

Happy Trails :)

Ray - after talking with you on the phone today, I was looking forward to seeing the pix. They exceeded expectations. Great job!

I look forward to hiking with you once again in the near future, my good friend!

Marty

Ray -
Real nice report and pics - great shots of the fox.
I have seen a fox in the ammo lot in high sun...
I also think Tim Seaver took a great shot of a fox in this exact same area a few years ago.

Nice TR, great shots of the fox. As others have said, there are alot of foxes on the range, and are often seen by the huts, the observatory and the cog base. They are terrifically efficient hikers, but I suspect that there are more than a few families. They completely track up the mountain after a fresh snowfall.

Glad you got to experience the joy of interacting with these curious creatures!!!

jjo- I believe that the name comes from the Pennacook- one of the Native American tribes living in what is now NH and also might refer to the great Pennacook Federation which was under the leadership of Chief Passaconaway during the time of the early Puritans.

sachem& chief

According to experts a sachem was more of a respected judge for all matters & conflicts within the tribe, whereas a chief was appointed at times for specific tasks and would usually be reponsible for war parties and such, more the leader type based on accomplishment. a sachem was repected for their longevity and spiritual communion with the gods. historically the pennacook were the guardians placed at the southern end of the white mountains. one of the more violent tribes, they travelled great distances to support the French in the F & I War. Their members are supposedly the ones who initiated the attack on colonial provincials and their families at Fort William Henry. The Cowass, or people of the pines, were also related to the pennacook under the abenaki name located between the White Mountains and the Canadian border.
Unfortunately today the Federal government recognizes only the western abenaki as a tribe who are in VT.

I almost forgot about the fox(es)

We've had many close encounters with foxes in the Great Gulf. they have been friendly, curious, and at times almost playful, but never harmful. they have provided some of our best hiking memories.