Multi-Day Adirondack Misadventures: (1/17-19/09)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Tuesday

Reaction score
Adirondack Misadventures, featuring:

Juniper, Darl58, Donna, Arm and Fat Tuesday, with occasional Shizzy, Bob and Nancy sightings.

Day 1: COLDen, Saturday, January 17, 2009.

I’m trying to find a way to express the extent of the frigidity on Friday night and Saturday. We rolled into Tip-A-Canoe in Keene Valley for provisions and trip planning on Friday at 8:30 or so and braced for our first blast of NY mountain air. It was so cold that I opened my mouth and instantly had three distinct toothaches.

It was no warmer upon our arrival at the fabled Loj 12 hours later. I believe the thermometer read three degrees. We took some time to gear up, putting snowshoes on, taking them off, putting them on again…

The trip out to Marcy Dam was an idyllic Narnia-land of fresh snow. It was great to have a long, flat stretch to warm-up the legs. At the Dam we got a glimpse of our destination through passing clouds. It was beautiful and distant.

I honestly can’t remember what came between the Dam and the climb up to Colden. A couple of trail junctions, a small lake, a few snack breaks, a lot of mitigating the cold. Some Coloradster types with randonnee skis, ropes and climbing gear passed us at one junction and we later determined they were headed to climb trap dike. At some point in here Arm broke out a Ziploc of various chocolate heart candies. I am serious. I guess this is how you plan when you know you are hiking with the ladies.

On the climb up the ridge the sun toyed with us and revealed enough of itself to show us what we were missing. We caught a glimpse of Marcy, and those of us with good eyes saw some people on the summit. It was probably about 11:00/11:30. A few partial views opened up in other directions as well, but this clearing lasted all of ten minutes. By the time we reached the false summit (some celebratory photos snapped- whoops!), it was cloudy again.

The trail dips back into the woods briefly after the false summit, and we put on extra layers and goggles and put our heads down for the charge up to Colden proper. After a brief photo pause, we carried on down the ledgy, icy shoulder of Colden. Let it be known that I slipped three!! times on said ice and thus traveled tentatively down to a cool ladder that marked the end of our above treeline walk.

The trip down was great fun. Thick, unbroken powder at a steepish angle made for a fast and cushy descent. At beautiful Colden Lake or Lake Colden we stopped for snacks and then continued on to breathtaking Avalanche Lake. I think we slowed down to gawk at the austere and imposing cliff faces that stared us down. Darlene stopped to scope out a fantastic looking climb up trap dike. I was entranced, watching wisps of snow dart from here to there on the lake surface.

The final four (five?) miles were uneventful and pleasant. Highlights were reaching Avalanche Ass Slide, where skiing and other activities are prohibited, and chatting with rangers, skiers and hikers along the way. We got back to the Loj as the sun set, threw down some food and pushed on to Keene for a Mountainfest slideshow presentation by Jennifer Lowe-Anker and Conrad Anker.

Though I am a New York native, this was my first trip to the Daks High Peaks region. It was strange to feel as if I’d come “home” to a place I’d never been. I was really impressed with the ski trail system, and how well people respect it (need to get back there to backcountry xc!!).

A really great day out with a fun group. Thanks to Arm for planning our route (and for the chocolate love).

Nice! Congrats on your first 46r!

Love the part about the instant toothaches!! Yuk Yuk.

Was the big rock on the way up from the false summit buried in snow or did you need to crawl under it (like the summer trail does)? I love that part of the hike!

Was Avalanche Lake frozen enough to walk across or did you take the hitching Matildas?

If your answers to all of these questions are "What...? No?"
then you'll just have to return and experience Colden in the summer!
:)

Day 2: Peak Above the Nubble – ADK style! (Giant/RPR 1.18.09)

Day two arrived and so did a few more degrees on the thermometer (yay!). Our group of seven headed out for a leisurely breakfast with friends Nancy and Lauren at Cedar Run in Keene. After a hearty breakfast the same Colden team of five headed for the hills. Our plan for the day was to bag Giant and Rocky Peak - the latter of these was on both Arm and Donna’s unfinished “list” for winter. We donned our snowshoes and set out from the Ridge trailhead. We enjoyed the gentle climb of the lower section of trail, passing by the Giant’s Washbowl and the oh-so-helpful switchbacks. At the first viewpoint we enjoyed views down to Chapel Pond and the Washbowl …and Darlene drooled a bit over the climbing opportunities across the way. Unfortunately, we couldn’t see anything more than this. I understand there are some other mountains in the area…somewhere.

The climb steepened and we gradually made our way up, encountering some icy slabby sections here and there. Having experienced a few slips the day before, Mardi decided to wear crampons but the rest of us stuck with snowshoes the entire trip. As we climbed we encountered a few hikers on their way back down, but none of them had been over to Rocky Peak. Finally, as we got a little higher up, we met two guys who had broken trail over to RPR, which was good news.

We reached the junction at which point the Giant summit is supposed to be .2 miles ahead. We went about .1 mile and encountered what appeared to be the summit. Just in case we weren’t at the correct spot, we wandered around a while and followed the red trail markers a little ways, but it was clear that all routes led down. Took pictures, then we then scurried back to the junction and began the fun descent of the col between Giant and RPR. With tons of light fluffy powder it was good fun getting down. At one point fairly early in the trip down you get a view over to RPR and see what lies ahead…steep down, steep up (turn around, repeat). Perhaps in the summer you can’t see what’s in store for you:rolleyes:?

The climb up to the RP summit was not too bad, and before we knew it we were taking summit shots. I understand there are mighty fine views to be had by climbing Giant and RPR, but not this past Sunday. Guess I’ll have to go back! The wind was blowing a bit stronger here, and this was probably the coldest time of the day for us. Darlene has a handy little bendy tripod thing that we always use for group summit shots, but for some reason it didn’t want to stay put on the smooth icy rock of the summit:confused:? Mardi had been hiking all day with an injury and so we had been moving at a measured pace to try to keep together. At the summit of RP we took a look at the time and decided to split up and Darlene and I were sent on ahead to try to finish earlier than the others and go grab some pizza for our dinner back at the ranch. The climb back up to the junction on Giant took a little work, but the snow had hardened after our first trip through it, making the climbing much easier than we had feared. The 2.8 miles back to the trailhead from the junction went by very quickly and soon we were on our way to the Ausable Inn to grab dinner.

We were at the Ausable Inn only a few minutes when we heard “Hi Darlene and Rebecca”…it was a VFTT lurker named John who recognized us from our posts on the board. Amazing that anyone could recognize us after a day of balaclava wearing! Anyway, it was a funny little thing – nice meeting you John! We had a drink and waited for our pizza then headed back to the trailhead where we found the others waiting.

Let’s see…what else? At one point Darlene and I had our hands nearly bitten off by an ice monster. And we all learned that I am a bit visually challenged when it comes to trail markers (or maybe just a bit of a rebel?). We found a pair of snowshoes (Tubbs 30 of some sort, I think) left in the parking area by some hiker who had recently left…we put them by the trailhead sign, but saw that they were still there when we were on our way home on Monday.

That night we took showers and hung out in the common room at the Ark and were visited by Nancy and Lauren. Someone broke out the Hungry Hungry Hippos game and a competitive (and LOUD!) game ensued. Fortunately they soon lost interest in that game and moved on to a relatively quiet game of Jenga (if you don't count the swearing:p).

While we were out that day, the nice owner of the Ark helped us out by fixing up Donna's broken passenger window on her car with plastic sheeting and duct tape. On Friday night someone must have hit it with a ski or something and we found it shattered on Saturday morning. He also got the wood stove going for us that afternoon so that we could hang out in the common room. Now that's service!

I took very few photos this weekend. Here are a few from Day 2 and Day 3

Rebecca

Wow - quite the adventures for sure! Congrats on some fine peaks. You'll definitely have to revisit in the summer, it's such a dramatically different experience, and you'll want to see the views from Giant on a clear day, oh, yes.

Darlene, you should definitely allocate a trip to climbing up there.

Alas, even in the summer you do see in front of you that long drop down and up on the way to RPR. :)

Was the big rock on the way up from the false summit buried in snow or did you need to crawl under it (like the summer trail does)? I love that part of the hike!

Was Avalanche Lake frozen enough to walk across or did you take the hitching Matildas?

What? ...No? :)

The cool looking flat rock that looks as if it's going to fall off the mountain? we walked right by that. Walked right across Avalanche Lake and noted the Hitch-Up Matildas. Arm told us the quaint story of their name and we pointed and took pictures. So I guess we'll have to go back in the summer. I want to see the views, too!

What? ...No? :)

The cool looking flat rock that looks as if it's going to fall off the mountain? we walked right by that. Walked right across Avalanche Lake and noted the Hitch-Up Matildas. Arm told us the quaint story of their name and we pointed and took pictures. So I guess we'll have to go back in the summer. I want to see the views, too!

I've always walked around that rock... Colden is pretty windy in the winter...and the true summit is actually a little bit off the trail in a small clearing that isn't so obvious in the winter...

there is also some nice views on the "backside" opposite from Avalanche Lake and the Macintyres.

Great trip and report guys and gals! Well worth the return trip in the summer for the views if you get a chance..

jay

Excellent report! It always makes me so happy to hear that others are beginning their trek into the Adirondack High Peaks for the first time, what a great experience. Sounds like you picked a typical day, too...lots of cold ;)

Welcome to the Adirondack High Peaks! I hope you enjoy your future experiences there!

Day 3: Cascade & Porter for the pie!! 1/19/09

Day 3 arrived and we actually felt the warmth, I believe it was in the teen's when we awoke. It was a slow start after a fun evening of games and pizza. We packed up and still deciding our hiking plans for the day.:rolleyes:

After Arm arrived with our coffee, in Arm fashion (I did like the previous days barefeet better...) We started functioning and packing up our rooms. Missing articles were found, not where we put them of course.. The decision was that Rebecca & I would hike Cascade & Porter while the others would take in Lake Placid and all meet up for "pie" at The Noon Mark Diner.

We headed to the trailhead and after a very brief start we stripped down to shirts and no hats for a pleasant hike in.
The trees were coated with loads of snow and it was an enjoyable temp so the hike seemed to go pretty fast. We arrived at the intersection of Cascade & Porter where I suggested we summit Cascade first and then we could just boogie out after Porter. Still in one layer we arrived at the rocky outcropping of Cascade to be hit with a strong bitter cold wind which stopped us to put on another layer.
One little steep rock section gave us a little thought as I rock climbed up with snowshoes, leaving Rebecca wondering how she was going to follow. I just passed a pole and up she popped and on to the summit.

Just as we were hiking up we saw 4 hikers coming down and look, it was Nancy & Lauren. I had forgotten to look at the names on the register when we signed in..duhh I did know that they might be up there. A brief visit and off we climbed as they scooted down to the trees for a snack.

After a quick summit shot (trusty tripod), down we went and another visit and Lauren shared his peanut butter crackers off we went for Porter. Beautifull snowy trees and soft snow to hike in made it a very quick and fun hike over. Just as Rebecca & I were coming up to the summit, the sun shined on us. First time all weekend!

We hung out on the warm summit taking pictures of blue sky and snow laden trees. Nancy & Lauren soon joined us on the summit and more pictures as we soaked in the warmth.

Rebecca and I had pie on our mind and I had the craving for a grilled cheese w/ soup.....off we flew down the mountain. (3 hours round trip) It wasn't long and we were at the car and Arm, Donna, & Mardi were waiting w/ frozen salsa & chips..hmm it tasted pretty good! :p

Off we all went to The Noon Mark Diner where we ate plenty of food and of course enjoyed the pie!! :D

It was a great weekend for my first trip to the ADK's and we are all looking forward to our next trip and many more peaks! It was also fun to meet Prino & Tamas at the Ark on Friday night...maybe next time we will hook up to hike.
Fun bunch of hikers to hang and hike with!!

I bought Jennifer Lowe-Anker's new book "Forget me Not" and Jennifer & Conrad both signed it for me. It was really cool to meet them and to talk briefly with them at the Show on Sat night. Can't wait to read it!!

Pictures for all 3 days:

Day 1 Colden:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/ColdenHike?feat=directlink

Day 2 Giant & Rocky Peak
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/GiantRockyPeak?feat=directlink

Day 3 Cascade & Porter
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/CascadeParker?feat=directlink

Last edited:
Great collaborative trip report. Darlene and Mardi - there are views in the Daks and you'll have to do Colden again because the views are amazing. Glad to hear that you guys enjoyed the Daks despite having a cold viewless weekend.

Great tag team job on the Trip Report! Sounds like lots of fun. You can always rely on Arm to take you to good places and make sure you enjoy them. :cool:

this trip looked like a ton of fun..... I just wasn't ready last weekend - but I think I am returning to the game this weekend.

shizzy looks like had some fun with the hippos...

all I can say, I wish I was there. :D

over 10 years hiking and still have not been to the ADK's....:eek:

this trip looked like a ton of fun..... I just wasn't ready last weekend - but I think I am returning to the game this weekend.

what you waitin for? u got a place to stay close to the daks!
cool report guys!!!

Join us for the next trip Guy!!:D

We have lots of peaks to summit over there and I keep getting told that they have views.......will have to see that one! :cool:

You're ADK trip sounds like my Whites trip last year, a lot of hiking but not so much summit views. It's all good though!

Somebody needs to hold some kind of metal music festival in Keene to get Guy over here... ;)

Jay

The highlight for me

Was hiking with Nancy again !

And Shizzy and Lauren-- and seeing Guinness and TMax on the trail to Nye and Street. Thanks for breaking trail!

Last edited:
Day 1 Trip B 1/17/09 Street and Nye
(or the slow group recovering from various injuries and other excuses)

After getting up early Saturday morning and driving for 31/2 hours to the trail head, Loren and I were surprised to meet up with Shizzy and BoB who were waiting at Heart Lake for us. Through the grapevine we had heard they were planning to hike these two peaks. You never know what their actual plans will be, however.

The temps were hovering around zero at the start and stayed in the single digits all day. At the sign in I saw Ed (Guiness) and a bunch of other groups were on the trail. It turned out to be a day of chance meetings with old friends and some new ones too.

Since we got such a late start and there were so many people out, we had the luxury of a broken trail. The trail goes down to a couple of stream crossings which were frozen and easy to cross. Another reason to love winter. This downhill section will turn out to be a huge drag on the way out. It didn’t seem so bad going in.

As we climbed higher, we met more and more people coming down. First we saw Ed, who said that Shin, Terri, and David were above us. All of the people coming down said they made it to Nye, but not Street. This seemed pretty odd, because Street had been broken out the day before. They said they couldn’t find the herd path and made some failed attempts.

When we made it to the col between the two peaks, there was a rock carin that you just couldn’t miss that indicates the split. We headed over to Nye. It was BoB’s 100 North East peak (but he doesn’t peakbag). A quick stop and we decided to see what the herd path to Street was like. Lucky for us, David and Terri forged ahead and broke Street out. It was a nice surprise seeing them again.

There were no views on either mountain that day. On the way down we could see below the clouds over to Algonquin and Wright as well as Heart Lake. The snow clung to the trees to make the winter wonderland effect. Although I still am slow on the up, going down is such a joy for me. I love leaping, sliding, running and an occasional butt slide.

Crossing the stream meant uphill for the last mile or 10. That’s what it felt like. We finished by dark thirty and only needed a headlamp to sign out.

That evening there was a slide show at the Keene Valley School where I won yet another fleece in the raffle. It was nice to meet Juniper, Darl and Mardi at last.

Here are a couple of my pictures

Lovin’ life….

Nancy