Multi-Fuel Stove Question....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great information! I am indeed planning on taking the stove overseas, which is why I'm looking for one with multi-fuel capabilities. The thing that worries me about the MSR, is the plastic parts, but it sounds like that hasn't been an issue for most people.

Comments on several posts all in a row....

1) Quack, regarding your choice, remember the sage wisdom of Colin Fletcher. "Choose your stove wisely. The only thing harder to get a man to change than his stove is his religion."

2) Regarding the field maintainability of MSR's, it is a very good thing they are field maintainable because they are clearly in constant need of maintenance. The MSR's have improved with the introduction of the shaker jet but its a very poor copy of a feature that Optimus stoves have had for years. With Optimus stoves, you can clean your jets while the stove is running. The only repair I've ever made on my Svea 123 which was purchased in 1985 and has been used constantly since then is to replace the filler cap to ensure the o-ring was ok. And if you want the ability to burn anything, note that the basic Optimus/Primus design has been known to run for months on end on..... penguin fat.

3) Regarding bike touring, I would stick to alcohol stoves for summer bike touring. They weigh next to nothing and the fuel can be purchased in small quantaties at any hardware store in any town. Nobody wants to carry a gallon of Coleman fuel on a bike. You want to buy your fuel a bit at a time. As for burning auto fuel, see the following link.
http://www.optimus.se/faq/#fuels

Bike Touring

Responding the to last post, we used mostly alcohol for our coast to coast bike trip.

Alcohol is available from hardware stores in pint containers.

We met another bike tourer who was using a MSR stove with unleaded gas. With unleaded gas, he bought 11 ounces at a time. I think next time I do a long tour I will probably try using unleaded gas.

DougPaul said:
Unleaded gas contains additives that you don't want to breathe. I understand it also tends to clog stoves. Suggest that you avoid it if possible.

If you need convincing of this, do the following experiment.

Take your car to a self-service gas station, and fill your tank, being careful not to spill any gas on your hand. Then smell your hand.

Now, take some coleman fuel, and POUR it on your hand (don't smoke while doing this). Smell your hand.

Then think of how those smells could flavor your food.

WRT to multi-feul. 17 years ago, I got an MSR multi-fuel stove. In all that time, I only used kerosine once. And that was just to see if it worked. (it did) OK, I use my Svea much of the time too.

MSR Whisperlight stove

Truth be told- I have had my share of problems with my whisperlight. I don't think any stove is 100% foolproof. If anyone can testify to a stove that is perfect- please let us know- I'll run out and buy it immediately.

The plastic part of the pump has a tiny flange that is prone to breaking off. This has happened to me on two different pumps. The first time I had the pump replaced (for free) and the second time I just let it be. I can use the stove and this missing part does not interfer with the stoves wrking- so what's the point.
As for getting it started- well that is not hard, as long as you prime it correctly. I use my stove year round and regardless of the above mentioned problems with the pump I find it an easy to use and dependable little stove. I love that you can use different types of fuel- but I'd rather not use anything but white gaz.
Also it is weight and cost efficient. And environmentally friendly since I don't fill the landfills with used up gas cannisters. It is also a 4-season use stove. And it is small.