N. Conway,NH: Avalanche Course AIARE Level One - 2/24-25

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbcbd

Reaction score
Avalanche Course AIARE Level One - 2/24-25

Date: 2/24-25

Trails:Tuckermans, Sherburne on second day

Plan: Get my brain edumacated on avys

Since I like to be in avalanche terrain (fun climbing and skiing!) and want to expand my horizons and general outdoor knowledge, I signed up for the 2-day AIARE Level One course with the EMS climbing school.

First day was spent in the classroom, looking at and discussing factors that play into a safe, avalanche-free trip. Some of the science was also talked about (more in-depth science is discussed more in the level 2 course), in addition to the observation checklist (a table with various categories to investigate in order to assist in judging current avalanche danger at a location). The first day ended with shoveling and probing techniques and practice with beacons. All in all, a long day, but a lot covered.

Second day we head out to Pinkham to make our way up to Tuckerman's ravine to look at some of the snow.

Most of us rented (or had) alpine touring or tele setups and skinned up the Tuckerman Ravine trail. - I never went up that trail in a better way!!

Gorgeous day out, we listen to the US forest service guys at HoJos and they invite us to see them practicing a "Dog Scenario". They bury one of their guys in the debris at the bottom of Hillman's Highway and the Avalanche Dog, Cutler runs around like a mad dog until he sniffs him out and digs him out - it was really amazing and he was so cute!!

We head further up towards the headwall, stopping every once in a while to observe terrain features (possible weak points, terrain traps, certain aspects...).

We arrive at the headwall and stay there a while discussing the terrain all around us and digging some pits to look at the snowpack. Since most of us were skiers, it was a tough test to be at the ravine and not ski it - we were all itching badly :D

So then the day ended with most of us skiing down some very fun and tight terrain back to HoJos and then continuing on down the Sherburne all the way down to Pinkham. :)

I recommend this course to anyone who is interested in travelling in avalanche terrain (especially areas where there are no avalanche bulletins - on Washington alone, only Tux and Hungtington get a specific bulletin) and would like to make better decisions out there. The guides (Steve Nichipor and Craig Taylor) were very knowledgeable and nice guys who also just love to be out there skiing and climbing fun terrain :)

Good stuff
-Doug

Last edited: