Nameless Destinations near Mt. Moriah in the Carter Range (February 2011)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
When going on a hike, it's a common practice to head off toward a destination (mountain, pond, waterfall, etc) that has been given a name and appears on map. However, one of the most liberating things I've learned is that a destination doesn't necessarily need to be a named feature on a map. For example, there is no rule that obliges one to hike a trail all the way to the top of a mountain. There is complete freedom to choose a particularly nice spot that is located anywhere along a trail and let that be your final destination. And, for hikers who enjoy off-trail travel, a final destination might involve bushwhacking to a nameless peak or pond.

Several nameless destinations near Mt. Moriah were the focus of a recent adventure undertaken by my friend Steve and me on a sunny February day when the air temperature never rose above freezing! However, there was a time back around 1895 when the temperature in this area was sizzling as a raging forest fire consumed over 4,000 acres in the Moriah Brook Valley and along the southeastern ridge of Mt. Moriah. Fires such as this cause tragic losses to flora and fauna, and then erosion washes away much of the soil that might have supported reforestation. Every responsible person abhors the devastation caused by massive forest fires. However, it is somewhat ironic that the destructive fires of the past served to create the views that are now so enjoyed at popular destinations such as Mt. Chocorua, Mt. Crawford, the Moats, the Baldfaces, and many others (including the nameless spots that Steve and I visited).

We began our adventure on the Stony Brook Trail and followed it for the entire 3.6 miles to the junction with the Carter-Moriah Trail. Travelling along the Stony Brook Trail as well as the Carter-Moriah Trail was easy. Several groups of hikers on the days preceding our hike had tramped out these trails wearing snowshoes, and some had even pulled flat-bottomed sleds behind them that were laden with supplies for overnight camping. However, the snow on either side of the well-packed trail was deep. This was particularly evident when we encountered a trail signpost. We've all experienced it, but nonetheless I still find it sort of amusing to be looking DOWN at the signs that are normally at eye-level or higher.

Sign_Posts_Peeking_Above_Deep_Snow.jpg

Once we reached the junction with the Carter-Moriah Trail, we made a left turn and headed in the direction of Mt. Moriah, although that was NOT our destination. Our target for this particular day was a tier of bare ledges located about 0.4 mile from the Stony Brook Trail junction. These open ledges were also a result of the forest fire of 1895. For a modest amount of effort you are rewarded with dramatic views of the Northern Presidentials, as well as a unique view of ridges and peaks in the Carter Range.

Presidentials_from_Ledges_on_Carter-Moriah_Trail.JPG

Looking eastward from these ledges, there is an outstanding vista of the vast wilderness areas of the Moriah Brook Valley and the Wild River Valley. The ever-impressive Baldface Mountains are also a prominent feature as you look eastward. If you want to read more about this particular "nameless destination" located on the Carter-Moriah Trail, there is a terrific description with loads of details in the book entitled "Snowshoe Hikes in the White Mountains" by Steven D. Smith.

Before leaving the nameless ledges along the Carter-Moriah Trail, we studied the massive display of bare rock and ledges located on the north side of the Moriah Brook Valley (just a few tenths of a mile off the west end of the Moriah Brook Trail). This area would be our next and final "nameless destination" on this fabulous winter day.

Steve_Studying_Our_Next_Destination.JPG

We began this next phase of our trek by hiking for a few tenths of a mile along the Moriah Brook Trail and then eventually departed from the trail for a bushwhack. However, before leaving the trail, we passed through an area of low-growing scrubby vegetation. From here we got an awesome view of the gigantic south cliffs of Mt. Moriah. It almost seemed like a scene you'd expect to see in certain areas of the Western U.S. rather than in the White Mountains of NH!

South_Cliffs_of_Mt_Moriah.JPG

Once we left the trail we were soon bushwhacking our way through an attractive forest of young birch.

Bushwhacking_Through_a_Birch_Forest.JPG

The birch forest eventually gave way to areas of mixed conifers as we approached the first of several ledges that we visited along the way. Since the bushwhacking proved easier than anticipated, we continued upward for a few tenths of a mile to the crest of the ridge where there is an enormous field of bare rock with only a few widely scattered clusters of conifers here and there (see photo below). This huge area was also a result of the 1895 fire mentioned earlier. It covers several acres and is basically a wide-open space that provides sweeping vistas which are simply stunning!

Acres_of_Bare_Rock_Created_by_1895_Fire.JPG

The ledges we had visited earlier in the day along the Carter-Moriah Trail provided a great view into the Wild River Wilderness. However, this open field of rock provided a view of the Wilderness that was even more dramatic since it was more close-up and intimate, as was the gorgeous view of the Baldfaces and surrounding mountains. We also enjoyed looking back at the cliffs and ledges adjacent to the Carter-Moriah Trail where we had been earlier in the day.

Wild_River_Wilderness_from_Bare_Rock_Ridge.JPG

With so few trees to block the numbing Arctic-like wind, we were quickly dissuaded from lingering for very long at this fascinating spot.
In a way, this was a good thing. It was late in the day, and we didn't have a lot of time to spare if we wanted to arrive back at the trailhead at a reasonable hour. It was a reluctant departure, but we knew it was time to go. And so, we returned to the Moriah Brook Trail by following the snowshoe tracks we had created during our bushwhack up to the ridge crest. Then, it was a simple matter of linking up with the Stony Brook Trail for the return leg of our journey.

We arrived at the trailhead just shortly after the sun had set. It had been a full day and an enjoyable day. Although the destinations we visited were lacking a name, they certainly were not lacking in beauty!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
I have Always wanted to check those ledges out! In fact, this past monday when I hiked Moriah with Eric Rathbun I said to him, "I bet Steve Smith has been there!".

No kidding!

Great report! I may ask you in the near future more about your route.

Ps. The sled pullers were a high school group out of Maine, we saw them on monda on their way to Imp Shelter that night and then planned to head into the Wild River Wilderness via Moriah Brook. any sign of their tracks?

I was half hoping they would change their minds on that !

Last edited:
I have Always wanted to check those ledges out! . . . I may ask you in the near future more about your route.

Ps. The sled pullers were a high school group out of Maine, we saw them on monda on their way to Imp Shelter that night and then planned to head into the Wild River Wilderness via Moriah Brook. Any sign of their tracks?
Sabrina, regarding the route, there's lots of different ways to get to that ridge that's chocked full of ledges & fields of bare rock.
Our route basically involved picking up the Moriah Brook Trail (MBT) at its junction with the Carter-Moriah Trail and then following the MBT for about 0.3 mile, then leaving the trail and bushwhacking northeasterly for about another 0.3 mile to the crest of the ridge.
Once you're on the ridge, then the possibilities are endless as to what to explore!

You asked if there were any remaining tracks from the high school group from Maine . . . yup, there sure were!

Great report John and outstanding pictures on a clear day. I like learning about the history of some of these open areas and how they came to be that way. You always seem to find these unique spots to hike to.

Petch

Great report John and outstanding pictures on a clear day. I like learning about the history of some of these open areas and how they came to be that way.
Thanks PETCH!

Hey, if you or anyone else is interested in reading additional information about the history of forest fires in the Whites, then you might want to check out the article at this link: "Fire in the White Mountains: A Historical Perspective" by Christine L. Goodale.

Quite a few of us have gazed at those ledges and the ridge. That would be a perfect destination at the end of a Moriah Brook ascent.
Sounds like a great idea, Audrey!
For those wanting a more detailed report check out Steve Smith's blog at Mountain Wanderer Web Site .... Steve provides more detail on route to the ledges.

http://mountainwandering.blogspot.com/
Ray . . . thanks for posting the link. Steve clearly has more of a talent for providing details and presenting them in an interesting way.
His reporting style brings the readers right along with him on his adventures.

John, that is such a great report and photos! It brought back to me many fond memories of exploring that area a few years back. The Moriah Brook valley is such a beautiful place with so many hidden gems. Thank you for sharing a few of them with us!

From the descriptions in your report, you must have been at the far northwestern edge of that long ridge that extends off of Moriah. The last time I was bushwhacking in that area, I spent quite a while on the southeastern end, as well as lounging on the small peak at the center of the ridge. There were acres of open rock with wide open views all over that ridge, and beautiful birch and fern glades below. I didn't have time then to try to make it up to where you were, but your report has certainly inspired me to make an attempt at a wide loop someday using the ledges with the Moriah Brook Trail. That little peak which I happily dubbed "Southeast Moriah" is one of the coolest offtrail spots I've been to!

As a side note, while reading the intro to your report, I couldn't help but muse for the hundredth time about how the logging industry both destroyed and created many of the wonders that we enjoy today. If not for massive fires created by indiscriminate logging practices, would people still have rallied as passionately for the protections that the forest holds today?

While pondering this and other similar thoughts, I remembered a few old photos I had uncovered from a collection kept by one of the watchmen at the Carter Dome tower back in the 20s and 30s. A few journal entries speak of cutting new trails through the Wild River "wasteland" from the tower and the headquarters off Glenn road near Gorham. While the photos don't show much detail, it may be of interest to a person or two of a moment in the past.

aaold1.jpg

aaold2.jpg

aaold3.jpg

aaold4.jpg

aaold5.jpg

Nice

I like the way you think and for my taste, bushwhacking seems to be easier in the winter.

. . . while reading the intro to your report, I couldn't help but muse for the hundredth time about how the logging industry both destroyed and created many of the wonders that we enjoy today. If not for massive fires created by indiscriminate logging practices, would people still have rallied as passionately for the protections that the forest holds today?

While pondering this and other similar thoughts, I remembered a few old photos I had uncovered from a collection kept by one of the watchmen at the Carter Dome tower back in the 20s and 30s.
Thanks Chris for posting those old photos! I, for one, very much enjoyed looking at them.

Further regarding the 1895 forest fire in the Moriah Brook Valley and SE ridge of Mt. Moriah, it's interesting to note that older editions of the WMG make reference to what I presume is damage from this fire. Below is an excerpt from the 1907 edition which includes the words "burned tract" in the trail description for the Carter-Moriah Trail.

"Mt Moriah to N Carter: From summit of Moriah the path leads SW descending 1 M and then skirting burned tract . . ."
. . . and for my taste, bushwhacking seems to be easier in the winter.
Agree 100%! And, we are about to enter a phase in late winter/early spring when the snow becomes really firm which makes for some great off-trail roaming. The only problem is that those ideal conditions are usually short-lived.:(

Last edited: