Navigating the Blue Hills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jess and I'm navigationally impaired. :eek:

My dad has the internal compass of a passenger pigeon. That trait apparently skips a generation. I needed something to do today so I figured I would go for a leisurely hike and try to develop my navigational skills.

With my trusty map in hand I got in the car and drove a whole 10 minutes (maybe) to the Blue Hills Reservation in Milton, Mass. The Blue Hills Reservation is very close to busy highways and is pretty flat...much different than what I am used to, hiking in the Whites. It's not easy to get lost out there when you stay on maintained trails, since the trail junctions are well marked and there aren't that many trails to begin with. But the Blue Hills has an astounding network of trails, some blazed but most un-blazed. Every time I've gone, I've gotten somewhat lost (and yes, also hopelessly lost). The goal for today was to work on getting better at placing my location on the map.

I planned to start out by following a well marked trail and then began to wind my way through multiple side trails. Ultimately, I would create a convoluted loop of a to-be-determined distance (3-ish hours?). Not 100 yards into the hike I missed the first turn onto the orange-rectangle trail and instead followed the red dots. :eek: :eek: This would be one of only 2 blunders all day...not bad!

Once I realized my mistake I changed my route. I could see where I was and where I would go. The good thing about the Blue Hills is that almost all of the trail junctions are marked with numbered signs that correspond to the map. If you have a map, you know exactly where you are. And since there are trail junctions every few hundred yards or less, it is always possible to find your way out. I figured this was the perfect place for someone like me to practice using a map :)

Essentially, I took the long way from a parking lot on Chickatawbut Rd. to Buck Hill, Tucker Hill, and Houghton Pond, then came back using different paths. All day I meandered through swamps, around ponds, up and down hills, over rocks, and through fields. The trails were sometimes narrow, sometimes wide. I also stumbled upon the old route 128, which runs parallel to the newer and substantially bigger 93/128. Along the way I stopped to take many pictures and I really wished that I'd have brought my sketchbook along too. The only people I encountered were on the popular Skyline trail, which I avoided as much as possible. When I hike, I like to get away from people.

This was a great exercise in reading and understanding maps for me. Most of the folks on this site seem to have quite a bit of experience and knowledge in outdoor skills but I am really new to this. I kind of like being new because every adventure brings so much wonder and excitement to me; sometimes I feel like a little kid out there. But I also learn so much every time I hike, or walk, or climb, or stroll...that each path is interesting no matter how flat or close to the city it may be.

So for those people hiding in the woodworks, getting intimidated by the endless threads about technical gear or outdoor skills, etc... my advice is simple. Hiking is glorified walking. Go out there and do it. Pick a place near home like the Blue Hills to wander around and get lost without the possibility of getting in trouble. Bring a map so you can get found again. And just discover for yourself what you need to know about walking outside. Obviously some hikes require technical knowledge and winter weather requires technical gear. But I stand by my belief that the best piece of gear you have out there is your brain. :cool: And developing basic skills in observation, sound judgement, navigation and survival are of more value to me than a $400 jacket that required more engineering than my car.

Next time I'll bring my compass...there's nothing that intimidates me more. No one yet has been able to explain to me what to do with that thing. I think I've got to get out in the woods and figure it out myself. You know, not too far from one of those numbered markers in the Blue Hills :)

Pictures are here: http://community.webshots.com/album/531951432lQoTsw

Nice report, Navigator Jess. Wow, I can't believe there's no snow on the ground down there! ;)

jessbee said:
So for those people hiding in the woodworks, getting intimidated by the endless threads about technical gear or outdoor skills, etc... my advice is simple. Hiking is glorified walking. Go out there and do it. Pick a place near home like the Blue Hills to wander around and get lost without the possibility of getting in trouble. Bring a map so you can get found again. And just discover for yourself what you need to know about walking outside. Obviously some hikes require technical knowledge and winter weather requires technical gear. But I stand by my belief that the best piece of gear you have out there is your brain.
PERFECT! :) :) :)
You just discovered you already have the ultimate tool for precision navigation and having fun at it.

And developing basic skills in observation, sound judgement, navigation and survival are of more value to me than a $400 jacket that required more engineering than my car.
Now get out there and do it again... and bring that compass next time. ;)
Need help? Just ask.

Last edited:
Hi Jessbee!

Nice trip report. I love the Blue Hills!! You're probably thinking, "Huh? She lives 1/2 hour from Franconia Notch. How can she love the Blue Hills?" :confused:

It's because I love to trail run even more than I love to hike, and the Blue Hills are one of the first snow-free places where I can do any significant trail running in late winter-early spring (or, by the looks of your spectacular photographs--RIGHT NOW!). :) I make an annual trek to Quincy in April to run a 50k with a small group of friends. We have a lot of fun trying to stay "on course," which is nearly impossible for all but the locals.

I'm always amazed--and thankful--that someone had the foresight to preserve and not develop this area. What a wonderful resource! There are many, many miles of trails, some quite rugged (Skyline comes to mind)... just a really, really fun area to play!

I have yet to get to Blue Hills, but each time I read a report _ like yours! _ it makes me wanna get down there even more. Maybe this weekend! I had no idea that there was an old Route 128 or that the remnants of it run through Blue Hills, or that there's a beach there. Fun stuff!

I used to have a girl friend who lived close to the Blue Hills and I spent a lot of time exploring them with her and her Back lab. A lot of times when she was at work I would go out with the dog and explore new sections. I have very fond memories of hiking there and it was nice having a place like that so close to the city.

I remember finding some interesting things in the woods just a bit off trail :) You tend to see different things on a hike when you have a dog with you!

Last edited:
Stinkyfeet said:
Hi Jessbee!

Nice trip report. I love the Blue Hills!! You're probably thinking, "Huh? She lives 1/2 hour from Franconia Notch. How can she love the Blue Hills?" :confused:

It's because I love to trail run even more than I love to hike, and the Blue Hills are one of the first snow-free places where I can do any significant trail running in late winter-early spring (or, by the looks of your spectacular photographs--RIGHT NOW!). :) I make an annual trek to Quincy in April to run a 50k with a small group of friends. We have a lot of fun trying to stay "on course," which is nearly impossible for all but the locals.
I used to live across the street from Blue Hills... I enjoyed trail running there almost every day for about a year (the only nice thing about that apartment). Those trails could get pretty nasty and muddy (think raging river) during the spring but it was always a blast. Another nice thing is the solitude you can oftentimes find there -- I rarely saw people out when I was running the trails; they usually stuck to the more popular areas etc.

Jessbee is right about the million trail junctions. I used to mountain bike there quite a bit as well and I thought it was funny to see the same thing over and over: you'd come to a junction and there would be two other mountain bikers there hunched over their maps, trying to figure out where the hell they were!

-Dr. Wu

i know ya'll know but my favorite trailrunnin' place is the middlesex fells as it's 5 minutes from my crib. check it out some time. easy to get turned around in if you don't know the area. :) :) :)

bruno said:
i know ya'll know but my favorite trailrunnin' place is the middlesex fells as it's 5 minutes from my crib. check it out some time. easy to get turned around in if you don't know the area. :) :) :)

The Fells was one of the first places I went when I moved here from MI. I think I've got a pretty good internal compass, and I can read a map, so I don't usaully have problems navigating. The Fells was a whole different story- trails everywhere, some marked some not, and only a third of a mile between junctions. I wouldn't go so far as to say I was "hopelessly lost" but I was very confused and turned around several times before getting a handle on the place.

I'm glad you've had another chance to explore the hidden charms of the Blue Hills, Jess. I've been having a blast red-lining the 125 miles of trails in that park for the last two years (about 75% done). Anyone who's only done the Skyline Trail has missed alot! I especially like that there are so many rocks, big and small, that I sometimes try to hike without touching the dirt, just the rocks :) And I've scaled as many of the bigger boulders that I can. I'm thinking someday I'll have to hike with a ladder to get up on some of the tougher ones :D Rattlesnake Hill is an especially enjoyable pile of rocks to scramble all over - good luck figuring out where the 'trails' are on that one!

Another place you've got to check out is the Quincy Quarries in the northeast corner of the park. But park at Shea Rink, so you can take the gorgeous Quarries Foot Path over there.

Alpinista, there's a 2nd beach in the Blue Hills, too. On the other side of Rt 93 is the much larger Ponkapoag Pond. I don't think you're supposed to swim there, but there's a 'Fisherman's Beach', a YMCA Camp, a couble rentable cabins, a boardwalk through a bog, and on the west side, a golf course (look out for people teeing off :eek: )

And I'll agree with Bruno and sleeping bear about Middlesex Fells being an easy place to get lost. It's amazing how many trails there are that don't appear on the map, and following the blazed trails can be a little tough at times. I've lost track of the Skyline Trail on three of my outings there, and on the Rock Circuit Trail I went in circles in two different places :eek: And parts of the RCT are actually pretty hard to do, with a chance of nasty damage if you fall. But hey, all that is what makes it so much fun to hike there, too. You wouldn't want it to be too easy, right? Jess, you've really got to hike the Rock Circuit Trail, you'd love it!

nice report - this is a place I think many of us in mass/ri forget about - I used to go there alot when I lived in quincy at night after work - around 1997 or 1998 I got lost in there one night for about 30 minutes :eek: :eek: :eek: of course b/c it was only the blue hills - I didn't a map or anything :confused: :confused: :confused:

lesson learned!

Last edited:
Hmm, close to home, complex trail system, places to swim, trail running, rock scrambles-those Blue Hills sound kinda like the Shawangunks, which are my "backyard" playground.

Anyhow, learning the compass-maybe have a look at this link:

http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/lesson1.html

And, like Nessmuk says, you've already figured out the most important piece of gear, so just get out and do it. Try spending more time studying maps, both at home and in the field. Same goes for practicing w/ the compass-you can practice some stuff right at the kitchen table, in the yard, etc.

Matt

Great trip report. I live about 2 miles from the Shea Rink and have grown up wandering the Blue Hills. Also, I am navigationally impaired and (at least in the Blue Hills) love getting 'lost' and wandering about waiting to come across somewhere familiar and if all else fails getting out the map.

Perhaps we ought to have a VFTT excursion to the Blue Hills. A day of wandering the hills followed by some chow and good beer/wine at the Fours or Bad Abbots or the Fowler House in Quincy...

Jaytrek,

Is the YMCA camp the old Boy Scout Camp Sawyer (I think it was called that)?

If so, I spent some fun times there as a kid...

Yes....it is. Although I am not sure of the name (Sayre?)

Before that, is was a camp run by Catholic Charities. A great number of people stop by and recall their "camping" days. Now it is a summer day camp for all the inner city YMCAs. Picture 200+ kids being dropped off at 9:00am every day during the summer. Yes...I am out the door by 8:45am. ;)

My wife also runs various workshops/events throughout the year (off-season).

Peace.