Ne115 ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kath

Reaction score
Okay, give me a clue here. Oldlurp and I just completed the NEHH on Sunday, (Saddleback & The Horn) and I swore that I would never look at another list again for a while. But one thing does tend to lead to another, and now I am reading about this NE115. I must have been suffering from tunnelvision, as I don't recall ever hearing about this one before. What does it entail, and where can I get the scoop on it? (not that I'd ever consider doing another list or any such foolish thing) Just curious about it.

Thanks,
Kath

And used to be known as the "NE111" prior to updated surveys, so in any reading consider the 111 and the 115 to be the same thing.

MichaelJ said:
And used to be known as the "NE111" prior to updated surveys, so in any reading consider the 111 and the 115 to be the same thing.
One can also assume that any mention of the 117, 118, 119, or 120 is the same. :eek:
If you consider: East Tabletop, Yard, McNaughton, or Guyot as some people do. :D But lets not go there

BTW there's still plenty of time to get a 2 digit winter number.

Kath said:
Okay, give me a clue here. Oldlurp and I just completed the NEHH on Sunday, (Saddleback & The Horn) and I swore that I would never look at another list again for a while. But one thing does tend to lead to another, and now I am reading about this NE115. I must have been suffering from tunnelvision, as I don't recall ever hearing about this one before. What does it entail, and where can I get the scoop on it? (not that I'd ever consider doing another list or any such foolish thing) Just curious about it.

Thanks,
Kath
Go for it! :D The Dax are easy! :eek:

I appreciate such prompt replies. Guess I will have to put the quest for the 115 on the back burner for a while. Although the DAKS have been beckoning me for quite some time now, I have this thing called a job which keeps interfering with my fun time. Now this will give me something to read about, research, pour over maps, and plan for. For me, that's at least half the fun, right? But right now I am looking forward to the next adventure, which is exploring wherever I feel like, just for the sheer fun of it. :)

Regards,
Kath

Actually, it's really the 111 after all.
67 in New England, 2 in the Catskills and 46 in the Adirondacks make 115...but subtract 4 from the Adirondack 46 that aren't true 4 thousands (Nye, Blake, Couchsachraga and Cliff) and voila... 111.

bigmoose said:
Actually, it's really the 111 after all.
67 in New England, 2 in the Catskills and 46 in the Adirondacks make 115...but subtract 4 from the Adirondack 46 that aren't true 4 thousands (Nye, Blake, Couchsachraga and Cliff) and voila... 111.

And a few others that should be on the list like Yard, MacNaughton, East Tabletop, and Guyot and you're right back at 115 again!

Careful about calling MacNaughton a 4,000 footer. The latest resurvey has it at 3,982' but many ADK people are in such denial that they are questioning the accuracy of the survey methods...

And what do people keep pouring over their maps? I like to keep mine dry. ;)

Last edited:
albee said:
Careful about calling MacNaughton a 4,000 footer. The latest resurvey has it at 3,998' but many ADK people are in such denial that they are questioning the accuracy of the survey methods...

And what do people keep pouring over their maps? I like to keep mine dry. ;)

This all depends on your perspective: I've done it a couple of times so I round up to 4000ft. Before I did it I truncated down to 3990ft.

Can't one carry up a few rocks and push it over 4000'? Only need 2' more of them...

More seriously, how do cartographers / surveyors measure mountains with piles of rocks on top? I mean the northern presis' cones are all rock piles anyway, right?

Tim

NE 111/115 List Criteria

With any club administered list, it is necessary to follow their list criteria. For The Northeast 111 Club this is:
"The Northeast 111 Club recognizes those who have climbed all of the 4000-footers in the northeastern U.S. (when the list was first compiled there were 111; there are now 115). To be eligible, you must be a member of the New England Four Thousand Footer Club, the Adirondack 46ers and have climbed Slide and Hunter Mountains in the Catskills."​
It is a composite list of lists, each having a different criteria. You need to become members of two other clubs. It is not sufficient to merely climb the 115 peaks currently on the list.

It is interesting to understand the criteria of each list. The New England list uses a 200' col rise criteria. The list has been dynamic; changing with map updates, observations, and much debate. The 46ers used a 300' col rise or .75 mile distance on the maps used by the Marshall brothers. They arguably overlooked some peaks that met the distance criteria on their maps, and they were politicked into including Gray Peak even though they correctly believed it did not qualify. However, it is all moot as the 46ers have chosen to maintain a static list. Although opinions differ there is something appealing to the point that all 46ers climb the same peak list.

If one wanted to apply the standard (used elsewhere in the northeast) 200' col rise criteria to Adirondacks: How many of the Adirondack peaks would qualify? 39 by my count.
  • There are 9 peaks among the Adirondack 46 that lack the 4000' elevation, 200' col rise, or both (Gray, Iroquois, Armstrong, Donaldson, Emmons, Blake, Cliff, Nye, Couchsachraga). That reduces 46 to 37.
  • Two others (Dial, Carson/South Dix) are borderline with a 60m (196.9') col rise on the current maps, but perhaps 60m should be the considered the equivalent of 200'.
  • MacNaughton (not in the 46) was 3976' on the Marshall's 1905 Santanoni quad, 4000' on the 1953 quad, but only 1214m (3982.9') on the 1978 Ampersand Lake quad.
  • East Table Top and Yard meet the 200' col rise criteria on current maps, and further even meet the original 46er criteria if it were applied on the 1953 and current maps, but neither qualified on the 1895 Mount Marcy quad used by the Marshalls. That brings the total to 39.

bikehikeskifish said:
Can't one carry up a few rocks and push it over 4000'? Only need 2' more of them...

More seriously, how do cartographers / surveyors measure mountains with piles of rocks on top? I mean the northern presis' cones are all rock piles anyway, right?
List makers and high point organizations attempt to disregard man made increases to a summit elevation, but they are forced to accept any man made removals or excavations.

As I mentioned above, it would be just over 17' of rock for MacNaughton based on the current topo map. A similar large cairn construction was attempted on Sandwich Dome when it was measured as 3993' in the Whites, but it was ignored by the keepers of the list. Sandwich Dome is also lower on later maps, 3925' on the current 1987 quad.

Mark Schaefer said:
With any club administered list, it is necessary to follow their list criteria. .... To be eligible, you must be a member of the New England Four Thousand Footer Club, the Adirondack 46ers and have climbed Slide and Hunter Mountains in the Catskills." It is a composite list of lists, each having a different criteria. You need to become members of two other clubs. It is not sufficient to merely climb the 115 peaks currently on the list.
Me thinks the AMC does not do a whole lot of fact checking, as I know of at least one 115'er who is not a 'registered' 46R. But he has certainly climbed them all!

Tom Rankin said:
Nice pictures!

Summit Post has some great photography for sure! The pictures embedded in the text are the best I could find from the vast database. Click on the individual photos for proper credits.

Wow! This is way better than I ever expected! Great info, great maps, awesome pictures. I have a feeling that my world is about to change.
Many thanks to all again!

Kath