NEng 3k Finishers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ode to Joy

Jim! Thanks again for the fine sleuthing required to compile the list of completers!

When I first heard of this list from Bill Dotchin (sp?), it sounded CRAZY! My first few HH whacks were painful yet somehow intriguing. I finally asked Edgar Robertson for a list of 3000fters...

I used to usually hike alone, but have come to treasure the company of the many terrific folks who are hiking these peaks.

I no longer badmouth loggers and snowmobilers who have greatly eased access to many of the more remote areas.

For an amateur naturalist, these peaks are a bonanza:
-moose, moose and more moose; an occasional bear, one humongous
porcupine...
-wildflowers! hundreds of ladyslippers on the upper Cedar Brook Trail,
dozens of blooming venus flytraps around Norcross Pd, amazing orchids...
-birds! Perfect habitat for Bicknell's thrush, gregarious boreal chickadees,
spruce grouse!!, black-backed woodpeckers, crossbills...

For a middle-aged guy this kind of route-finding is quite an adventure; as close to extreme sport as I'm likely to get!

Tom Rankin said:
1. There are 315 of the 770 in NY, 174 in NH, 166 in Maine, 109 in VT, 4 in PA and 2 in MA.
2. A lot! :D The spread sheet does not say which are which.
3. With 316 of the total, I would imagine NY.
According to a certain someone I know there are;
319 peaks in NY (98 in The Catskills , 221 in The Adirondacks )
165 peaks in ME
176 peaks in NH
110 peaks in VT
4 peaks in PA
2 peaks in MA
He held a gun to my head and told me to post this! :D ;)

Last edited:
And I know that the Certain Someone knows his stuff!! :D :D :D

This has been an interesting thread, especially since I've had the fortune to have hiked with many on the list over the years (11 on the first list!!). :)

Stinkyfeet, who agrees with Certain Someone

Last edited:
dms said:
I don't think any of the earlier finishers have ever done the "new" 22 peaks, which were added to the list in April of 1992.
I believe that DC has but I'll let him speak for himself

Gene Daniell plans to but hasn't got to it yet

The "general" rule for folks who started the pre-1992 list has been that all you needed to do were the peaks on the list that you started with.
While the new list wasn't available for the Group II finishers, most of the underlying maps were and they were heavily used because they showed the new logging roads. I found it amusing that one of them was going to use the new map to climb Squaws Bosom, but climb the old summit because it was easier. It would seem that someone who voluntarily climbed ~450 peaks would be willing to hike an extra half mile.

I don't know of anyone else of the recent completers doing the disqualified peaks.
I believe I have done all the "disqualified" peaks most of which weren't disqualified yet when I did them, and I suspect Arthur Josephson has also.

There are more than 2 lists, for instance a NH100 list from the '60s which includes peaks from Franconia 15' such as NW Hancock and NW Cannon, and a NE 3k list from the '70s which has Romance in VT because the compiler didn't check the next quad over.

RoySwkr said:
I found it amusing that one of them was going to use the new map to climb Squaws Bosom, but climb the old summit because it was easier. It would seem that someone who voluntarily climbed ~450 peaks would be willing to hike an extra half mile.

I believe I have done all the "disqualified" peaks most of which weren't disqualified yet when I did them, and I suspect Arthur Josephson has also.
I always thought that the bushwack of the east summit of Squaw's Bosom,even though shorter, is supposed to be more difficult than the wack to the west summit because of the tough col conditions between the east summit and Doubletop.
I suspected that you and Art had done most of the disqualified peaks while they were still official. My point is that I don't believe that any of the finishers who started with the new list have bothered to do the old disqualified peaks.

Well, I’m glad I gave up on trying to get to Squaw’s Bosom from Doubletop as I was planning to do back in September.

The westernmost is the true high point, correct? The three maps I had with me on that trip showed the east one highest, but a map posted at the motel showed the west one highest, so I was confused anyway. The middle one(s) aren’t in the running, I guess. And the best approach is from the north? From the Doubletop Trail’s north extension?

(Also, everyone just ignores the Baxter State Park prohibition against off-trail hiking? Do the rangers?)

Raymond said:
Well, I’m glad I gave up on trying to get to Squaw’s Bosom from Doubletop as I was planning to do back in September.

The westernmost is the true high point, correct? The three maps I had with me on that trip showed the east one highest, but a map posted at the motel showed the west one highest, so I was confused anyway. The middle one(s) aren’t in the running, I guess. And the best approach is from the north? From the Doubletop Trail’s north extension?

(Also, everyone just ignores the Baxter State Park prohibition against off-trail hiking? Do the rangers?)

Looking at the latest edition of the USGS topo shows 6 peaks. From SE to N, the elevations are shown as: 3010T, 2965AT, 3026T, 2974T, 2840ish (unmarked), and 2480T. The bump with the marked elevation of 3026T has the most contour lines - one more than 3010. That's the reason I climbed that one. A former edition of the map shows the 3010T peak as being taller.

Yes - from the north extension of the DT trail is best - as it avoids the col.

Baxter is okay with off trail hiking if you are competant (do not endanger yourself); you sign in and out; and you do not stayout overnight. Also the Klondike is off limits. I wanted to go there (really just to the edge and look in out of curiosity) and asked approval. I was given a copy of the is a Klondike Philosophy Statement discouraging bushwhacking in and the presence of humans in the Klondike. I read it, respected their points, and did not go.

Thanks, John. I appreciate your fast response, although it will be many months before I have the opportunity to return to Baxter State Park. The 3026 one must be the one with the prominent rock near the summit, as seen from Doubletop.

What’s the story with The Klondike? Some sort of experiment in progress? Somebody told me years ago that people were barred from Prescott Peninsula in New Salem, Massachusetts, in Quabbin Reservoir, for that reason.

Raymond, there is a ledge with fantastic views about 50 feet from the western summit of Squaw's Bosom. The wack up the valley is open woods until you reach the ridge, then it gets, as to be expected, quite scrubby. As for the Klondike, on a trip I made to Barren we hiked along the edge of it and found it to be open woods, as opposed to the ridge of Barren, which is pure hell.

Thanks, Dennis. I was just curious about why the rangers would especially discourage people from entering The Klondike.

I don’t know for sure, but I had the impression that that was where Donn Fendler was lost way back when, but I doubt that that is why the rangers would discourage ‘‘bushwhacking in and the presence of humans,’’ as John wrote. That just makes me more interested than I otherwise would be!

Raymond, I just found out this year that there appears to be different classifications of rangers at BSP. On a trip to N. Turner, I met an "alpine" ranger at Roaring Brook who, once he was satisfied that I was a veteran bushwacker, gave me a bw route up to the summit that was fantastic. His only request was that I not place a register there, and if there was one already there, to remove it. My suspicion is that a lot of the BSP rangers don't bw, or maybe even trail hike that much, and really discourage visitors from going off trail.

Another question, if I may. (Perhaps Michelle can answer it. :rolleyes: )

Of the 221 peaks in the Adirondacks does anyone know how many, and which ones, are on private property? Also, does anyone know, or have an idea, how many are trailless?

Ok, that's 2 questions.

ME is definitely the hardest of the New England states. I have hiked very few of the NY peaks, but based on the trip reports I've seen and the far greater number it is probably harder yet.

The 1992 McHugh list of 451 peaks is I believe the generally accepted standard for New England and it has 165 ME, 175 NH, 109 VT, 2 MA by my count. Did anyone count this list differently? I'd also be interested in seeing any lists that vary from this, my e-mail address can be reached through my profile. The 1992 list has 24 new/moved summits from the 1980 list (dms -see also N Randolph and N Black Crescent). As far as deleted peaks go, NH has suffered most - my first list of NH 3k had 185 peaks and the count was even higher using only 15' quads.

The Catskill list of 98 is in the back of the hiking guide.

I have heard that more peaks were found in the Adks and PA so the count is now over 770.

As for Squaws Bosom, I climbed both 3k peaks on the same hike. By the time I am 80 there will be better technology for measuring peaks and I'd hate to have to go back then if I climbed the wrong one.

RoySwkr said:
ME is definitely the hardest of the New England states.
I have 24 to go in Maine... can't wait for this to get easier! :D :D ;)

RoySwkr said:
The 1992 McHugh list of 451 peaks is I believe the generally accepted standard for New England and it has 165 ME, 175 NH, 109 VT, 2 MA by my count.
The list I have has 451 peaks on it; 166 in ME and 174 in NH. After I moved Mt Success from ME to NH my state count agrees with yours.
Also, Guyot was on my NH list, but not S Hancock. I removed Guyot and added S Hancock. I did this to mirror the 4K list which has the same "col rule".

RoySwkr said:
As for Squaws Bosom, I climbed both 3k peaks on the same hike.

While up on Squaws Bosom this summer I was glad that I didn't have to traverse the ridge over from the East Peak! Man it looked crapy!

Onestep

Last edited:
onestep said:
I have 24 to go in Maine... can't wait for this to get easier!

Onestep
Well Kurt if you get bored, I have a list of 32 disqualified peaks, some are even in ME!

I must have the same list as Michelle and post’r boy. I got mine from B.B. Here is what it has printed between the New England and New York sections:

ME: (165) (+8 -4)
NH: (176) (+7 -12)
VT: (110) (+3 -0)
MA: (2) (+0 -0)
(453) (+18 -16)

NYC: (98)
NYA: (221)
(772)

There are four additional ones in Pennsylvania for a total of 776.

How we’re going to figure out which are the two extra ones in New England I don’t know.

While we’re discussing that list (I feel a little like Henry Blake in the movie ‘‘MASH’’ asking ‘‘What are these little arrows?’’, but), what is the ‘‘1K/M’’ column on there? I can’t figure it out. Monroe doesn’t get a K, but the other Presidentials do, for example.

what is the ‘‘1K/M’’ column on there? I can’t figure it out. Monroe doesn’t get a K, but the other Presidentials do, for example.
Could that be the 1000 meter peaks with 100 meter cols? Pretty quick to see if there are any marks below 3281'.

Last edited:
Raymond said:
I must have the same list as Michelle and post’r boy. I got mine from B.B. Here is what it has printed between the New England and New York sections:

ME: (165) (+8 -4)
NH: (176) (+7 -12)
VT: (110) (+3 -0)
MA: (2) (+0 -0)
(453) (+18 -16)

NYC: (98)
NYA: (221)
(772)

There are four additional ones in Pennsylvania for a total of 776.

How we’re going to figure out which are the two extra ones in New England I don’t know.

While we’re discussing that list (I feel a little like Henry Blake in the movie ‘‘MASH’’ asking ‘‘What are these little arrows?’’, but), what is the ‘‘1K/M’’ column on there? I can’t figure it out. Monroe doesn’t get a K, but the other Presidentials do, for example.

Raymond, that is the list I have. The 2 extra peaks seem to be Guyot which I've done and Tillotson which I haven't.
The last peak with a K by it is Bromley at 3281'
Jim

The list sent to me by Gene D. in 2002, is what he calls "the new unofficially official New England 3000-footer list". It has 453 peaks listed, so if you do 451 you aren't "unofficially official"!!:p

#17 checking in

Does anyone know if Tom Sawyer has finished the 770 in winter. Someone told me he is very close.