NEng 3k Finishers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Ryman and Damon. I do not know Ryman, but I greatly enjoyed a couple of trips to North Whitcomb (aka The Muse) with Damon Ritter and Alfonso Dwyer this past winter. :)

Yes, the inimitable Marc Howes has completed the quest, summiting on Eagle Cliff, NH this afternoon (12-05-09), joined by thirteen others for the brief trail/bushwhack hike in near-perfect conditions (no snowshoes needed). Marc is the 33rd soul to complete the list of 451 New England 3ks. Contratulations!
pix:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jtbyfield/EagleCliff#

I'm just wondering why it takes 14 people to replace a perfectly good mason jar with that hideous pvc contraption. :rolleyes: ;)

Congrats Marc.

Eagle Cliff for 3K Finish 12/5/09

30aeaglecliff12509.jpg

Mark says, "Bushwhacking has taught me the importance of a healthy lifestyle."

Eagle Cliff 3420", Franconia Notch

Greenleaf Trail/Bushwhack through thick spruce.

4 Miles? 1000' Elevation gain?

Let's just say "Large Group" for Mark Howes' 3K Finish

On this hike I was able to confirm my belief that bushwhackers must be completely mad. Not angry mad, insane mad. "Bushwhacking, huh? Sure, let's go!" About 100 steps into the spruce I fell and did a faceplant on a log that didn't have a lot of give to it. "Gee, too bad that didn't involve a sharp stick and my eye, I wouldn't have to go any further!"

11aeaglecliff12509.jpg

"Aaarrrggghhh! It's too wide open out here! Must find spruce!"

The pictures really tell a better story than I can. It was great to see some old faces and to meet some new ones. I will say it was fun. Jude said, "You're going and see what a "moderate" bushwhack is to this maniac before you drag me and the dog out there." So that is how it happened to be just me. I'm glad I left them at home. I'm sure Emma would have gotten through it, but no need to push her at 10 years old. After I got home and told her of the day, Jude was pleased she had chosen staying home with the dog!

16aeaglecliff12509.jpg

View from Southern Cliffs

Full set of pics here.

KDT

Last edited:
Kevin -
Great 'whacking with you. And your pictures captured the drama of both the stunning views and the celebration! Glad you came along, but don't make it your last whack....

jt

Thanks guys.

This is going to sound kinda dark, but it's meant to be honest:

If you hike for glory, then avoid this list. You will find none.

There are, however, several other unorthodox satisfactions you'll get from the experience. Really only someone who has worked through a good chunk of it will truly know what I am talking about. I guess it's really not worth describing because it's different for every person -- But they know what I'm talking about.

I had a good time. Never met a person seriously pursuing the NE3k that really rubbed me the wrong way. It's not for everyone (such as you!) though. And that, I think, is a good thing.

Special thanks to my car, the "Offroad Corolla". I took that poor car places most people wouldn't dare bring their trucks and she never got stuck or broke down (and it did it while getting 40 mpg).

"Bushwhacking is just glorified walking in the woods" -- Quote from a real good guy who was unjustly vilified on this forum.

"Finding the summit is optional, Finding your car is not" -- Bill Bowden (Words that bushwhackers live by)

"If you break your leg up there nobody will find your bleached bones for 30 years" -- I forget who said this, probably bigmoose.

"Now the undercarriage of my car looks like the surface of the moon" -- Me

"Groan" - Manbearpig

Last edited:
Nice accomplishment Marc and glad you had fun on your finale! You folks on that list are a tough act for anyone to follow and though I would like to get to some of those summits, thankfully I don't have a thirst for all of them! Yet! Probably too late to start and my steed wouldn't be a trustworthy as that foreigner you brought along Marc! Almost everytime I've ever talked to you before a hike you were headed somewhere new while the rest of us were doing a summit over again!

Kudos to anyone that can take on such an ambitious goal safely and enjoy sharing it! Awesome and inspirational adventures! Hopefully it will not be an endeavor deemed reckless and negligent, especially if you pursue them without a GPS!

Last edited:
well alright!

Dude, good job.
Glad I had the opportunity to cross paths with you and share a summit or two.

Spruce addiction is a serious problem. Glad you found a way through the pain....beer is therapy.

Congrats, Marc. Now you can return to a few of those peaks on the wNHHH list. :)

Nice shots, KDT: RIT is on/near the top of Atlantic Hockey at about the midway point; Cannon cliff really melted off between snowfalls.