New 6 Flags Ride: The Fool Killer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albee

Reaction score
Okay, did you actually think I would write a trip report about an amusement park ride? Heck, no! But the Fool Killer really is the name of a New Hampshire 100 Highest peak and, needless to say, I survived this menacingly-monikered bit of bushwhackery.

Saturday's hiking plans were literally up in the air. The blowing, frosty, dare I say it - WINTRY air. Plan A was to meet Oncoman and Rejean for a Hale-Zealand-Bonds traverse but the plug got pulled on that one at 5:30 AM when they both pulled into Zealand Road's parking area with that look in their eyes. It was still snowing and it had been quite windy in Lincoln, so they made the call to abort this mission. I was fine with this decision since I hadn't had much sleep that night myself, and hiking 23 miles through the teeth of the Pemi is generally best done when one is feeling energized.

Plan B was hatched on the spot. We would go to Sawyer River Rd and hike Carrigain and Vose Spur. After a cautious drive through whipping wind and snow in Crawford Notch, we arrived at the trailhead in darkness. I sat there looking out my window and I just couldn't draw the strength to leave my warm car and commit to hours of trudging through the elements in my tired state. I reluctantly informed my companions that I was out. I needed rest.

After driving to North Conway and napping in my car for an hour and 15 minutes, I awoke to blue skies and reasonable temperatures. I remembered Plan C - a group was heading for the TriPyramids starting at 9 AM. I got to Pine Bend Brook Trailhead with time to spare, and waited a good 20 minutes, but nobody showed. There was a group on the trail before me, so I looked at my map and decided to bag the TriPyramids along with a couple NHHH peaks that I had never done - Scaur Peak and The Fool Killer. Time permitting, of course.

I headed out and marveled at the 3-6" of fresh snow that coated everything. The group ahead had packed out the trail nicely, and I soon found myself struggling up the head of Pine Bend Brook and switching to crampons for better traction. I reached the ridge and quickly turned right, following a hint of a herdpath up to the summit area of Scaur Peak. It is quite an easy one as far as bushwhacks go - open woods and a clearly defined high point with a Ragu jar for signing in. I left my mark in the log and headed over to the "Trips".

North TriPyramid always kicks my butt. Nothing much to add to that comment, it pretty much sums it up. After reaching the top and admiring the views I knew that the majority of climbing for the day was behind me. I bounded down to the col and made my way up Middle TriPyramid, just as the group ahead of me were descending. At the rear of the group was a familiar face. I finally got my introduction to Hiker Ed Hawkins whom I had passed on the Osceolas last Saturday. Ed was his usual gregarious self, and gave me some good advice on my planned route to the Fool Killer. (He basically confirmed that my chosen route was suitable, which was all the reinforcement I needed.) I tagged the summit of Middle, and soaked in the views for a few minutes. This was the windiest spot on the entire hike and I was excited to start my big challenge, so I got going right away.

Back in the col between North and Middle TriPyramids, I found the untracked terminus of the Sabbaday Brook Trail. My plan was to descend until I got to a good spot to cross the brook somewhere around 3100' and climb up and to the east from there. I made quick work of navigating down the steep section of the SBT, and got some good looks at the Fool and a really nice area of open hardwoods where I planned to make my ascent. I finally left the trail behind after it traversed east for a bit and made a sharp switchback as it reached the brook. I was at a little over 3000' and I just headed for the path of least resistance, bearing a bit to my right when possible. Without running into anything I would consider nasty, I gained the ridge in about 30 minutes and made my way southeast and uphill to the high point of land. The whole top of the ridge was delightfully open softwoods, it was extremely easy to walk through. I even remember making a mental note that this would make a good backcountry camping spot some day. I found the jar at the summit quite easily but there hadn't been an entry since October '06. The logbook had been replaced last year so I didn't have a chance to look back through the years at the entries from the legends of NE 'whackin.

At this point I had to choose which way to return to my car. I had two lines for bushwhacking back, or I could descend back to the Sabbaday Brook trail for the simplest route. I chose the latter, despite the fact that it was only 1:45 and there was plenty of daylight left. I was back on the SBT 20 minutes later, and I changed to snowshoes for the long trek back to the road. Not much else to report for the trip out - the snow was unbroken and I had a blast bounding and meandering down the trail at my own pace. All the water crossings were fine - I don't recommend jumping on the ice, but if you're cautious you should be able to cross each one without difficulty. I got to the road at 3:27 and walked most of the way back to the PBB trailhead before hitching a ride with 0.2 miles to go. :D

To my surprise, the group that I had encountered on Middle TriPyramid was just returning, and I had another chance to share stories with Hiker Ed and the crew. I had missed Tom and Atticus on the trail, who I really would like to have finally met. Hopefully he will post another of his eloquent TRs.

That's all I have to report for now. And if you're ever hiking in the shadow of the Fool Killer, don't be afraid. At least one fool made it out alive! :cool:

Sorry to have missed you Albee. I'm sure we'll bump into each other some day.

Wonderful day to be on the Tripyramids!

Albee ~ NH summits, either 4k's or 100 highest peaks, have been rumoured to have offerings of food (or spirits) left as offerings to the Mtn God's/Goodess's, especially during Winter. The Foolkiller in particular seems to attract Pounder Bags of M & M's, of the plain (non peanut) variety.

Did you happen to find a bag lashed to the summit tree on your visit?

Now Cath... please don't tell me that I didn't find the proper summit. :eek: All I found was an old jar with a fairly new logbook on the southern bump on the Fool Killer ridge. There were no M&Ms lashed there, although I'm sure a hungry moose or bear could have easily come trick-or-treating recently.

There must be some spirits up there suggesting something, though, because I stopped by Wal-Mart on my way back to town and for the first time in years, I bought a 14 oz bag of plain M&Ms. I'm munching on them right now, actually!

Upon inspection of Topo USA last night, I noticed that the more northerly summit bump on Fool Killer looks bigger, although they are both at the same contour. Hiker Ed told me I'd find the jar at the southern end, so when I found it there I didn't go exploring further. The AMC 100' contour map I was working off of had the summit marked on the southern end, too.

So Cath, when were you there? It's a nice place, despite the spirits, isn't it?

3 bottles on the Fool Killer

At least at one time. I have usually felt the southernmost knob was th true summit.

Albee ~ I was there in the summer of '94 and the Winter of '99

During the Winter visit, I traversed from the north end to the canister down on the south end.

I like this mountain mass, because of it's name and where it's located within
the greater WMNF.

Some of us refer to Nubble Peak simply as 3813.
Maybe The Foolkiller will now go by
AKA The M&M summit :rolleyes:

No bottles found on Fool Killer

Anne Gwynne, Eric Savage, Double Bow and a number of others and I did the Fool Killer via the ridge that parallels (sort of) Sabbaday Brook in November of 05. We traversed the whole ridge and descended the steep slope to the trail, and found no bottles despite careful search.

This was around the time that the brouhaha about Owlshead flared up, so we thought that perhaps the forest service had removed them.

Of course, it's possible that we missed all of them--at one time there were said to be 3 up there.

Jar

I was on the Fool Killer 9/10/05 and I too found no jars.I went up and down the ridge 3 times killing atleast 45 minutes...it's pretty open ,so I was surprised I found nothing.Did Albee's hike pretty much (scaur ,tri's)except I wacked down the eastern slope down to the middle of the Sabbaday trail.I was hoping to hitch a ride back to Hancock Campground at the Kanc,but I had to walk almost to Kanc Pass before I got a ride......I hate road walks!!!

MarkJ - How did your car end up at Hancock campground? :confused: Where did you start?

I must have been truly lucky. Hiker Ed told me that he had been there about 8 years ago and the jar was small, smaller than the one on Scaur. He said it would be on the southern end. When I got to the area I spotted it from 15 yards away. There is also a piece of survey flagging tied around the tree. The jar was as small as described, and tied with the kind of twine that I have seen before. As I noted, the register was less than a year old, so this jar could have been replaced since y'all had been there.

I did this hike in just over 6 hours, including the two bushwhack peaks. I really enjoyed it, and it would probably be a good introduction to bushwhacking if anyone would want to get someone new to bushwhacking their first experience. I highly recommend this route!

Docross... whacking east off the ridge down to the Sabbaday brook was one option I had considered. From the lower section of trail it looked like mostly hardwoods (not a lot of evergreens showing) and Topo USA indicates the same. I didn't have to worry about water crossings and all that fresh snow on the trail was calling my name for a snowshoe run! Otherwise I may have attempted it. I'm sure that is an area I will revisit!

And why do we call it "bushwhacking" if the bushes usually whack us? Maybe it just sounds better than self-flagellation with spruce boughs...

Another bushwhacker reports

I received an email from Keith D'A just now:

"My girlfriend and I bushwhacked to Scaur Peak as well as Fool Killer a couple of weekends ago.
We left the pine brook trail and crossed the saddle through open hardwoods to the ridge of Fool Killer. I made sure we went to the far north ridge due to the rumors of there being 3 canisters.
The only canister we found was the one that Albee found on the far south knob. For some reason Albee skipped over where we signed in.
There was only one page full in the log and we signed on the back of that. According to the log it was put there on 3/16/06 by hiker doc.
We were only the 4th to sign in along with Forest Nome and JR Stockwell who has finished all the NH 3k's. This log was new and unique due to the comic strip photo copied on the back of the log."

So it would seem that Hiker Doc put the bottle up sometime in early 06. Makes me feel better about not finding anything up there 4 months earlier. ;)

I did see their entry in the log on Scaur Peak, but for some reason I didn't see it on Fool Killer. I was looking for it, too, since they had indicated their plans and I wanted to see if they had made it. I flipped through the log pretty carefully since I wanted to save space and sign in consecutively. I signed on the bottom half of the right-hand page. It is possible that multiple pages had stuck together and they signed the back of a different page.

After the talk of three bottles on this mountain, now I think I know why Hiker Ed told me, with a wink, to walk the whole ridge. It is interesting that this mountain went from three bottles to zero to one. Where did they all go? Does the Forest Service go to these remote places and remove them?

albee said:
MarkJ - How did your car end up at Hancock campground? :confused: Where did you start?

I must have been truly lucky. Hiker Ed told me that he had been there about 8 years ago and the jar was small, smaller than the one on Scaur. He said it would be on the southern end. When I got to the area I spotted it from 15 yards away. There is also a piece of survey flagging tied around the tree. The jar was as small as described, and tied with the kind of twine that I have seen before. As I noted, the register was less than a year old, so this jar could have been replaced since y'all had been there.

I did this hike in just over 6 hours, including the two bushwhack peaks. I really enjoyed it, and it would probably be a good introduction to bushwhacking if anyone would want to get someone new to bushwhacking their first experience. I highly recommend this route!

Docross... whacking east off the ridge down to the Sabbaday brook was one option I had considered. From the lower section of trail it looked like mostly hardwoods (not a lot of evergreens showing) and Topo USA indicates the same. I didn't have to worry about water crossings and all that fresh snow on the trail was calling my name for a snowshoe run! Otherwise I may have attempted it. I'm sure that is an area I will revisit!

And why do we call it "bushwhacking" if the bushes usually whack us? Maybe it just sounds better than self-flagellation with spruce boughs...
Albee-I camped at Hancock,but got dropped off at Pine Bend and figured I would get a ride from hikers driving on the Kanc.Instead 2 women coming back from a wedding gave me a ride!!!!Can't figure that one out! :confused:

Missing registers

The FS is not removing registers from the FK and other nearby 3k peaks, a self appointed "wilderness preserver" who used to post here on this board, often bragged about removing them. I've replaced several, if you look closely around the trees in the obvious summit areas you can usually find marks on the bark of the trees where the registers were once tied.

docross said:
We were only the 4th to sign in along with Forest Nome and JR Stockwell who has finished all the NH 3k's. This log was new and unique due to the comic strip photo copied on the back of the log."

That's the only register I've ever found and signed. I was trying to get onto the crest of the ridge the begins at the Fool Killer and runs down to the NE, leaving the Sabbaday Brook Trail near a col. I meant to avoid the summit and go around the west side of the peak, but wound up there anyway. The register thing is pretty cool...small and innocuous.

I left a moose antler at the base of the tree, and made a note of it in the register, requesting that it be left for the next hiker to see. Was it still there?

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
forestgnome said:
I left a moose antler at the base of the tree, and made a note of it in the register, requesting that it be left for the next hiker to see. Was it still there?
We saw your entry yesterday, but the Moose Antler is either buried under the snow or gone.

Onestep