New computer, GPS trouble

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
Paging DougPaul, we have a problem only you can solve ...

I finally got a new computer after more than eight years, but I can’t transfer the data from my GPS into it.

Garmin says ‘‘access was denied when MapSource tried to read from the registry,’’ and that I should contact my administrator. I right-clicked myself the privilege, but now it says that the maps I’ve been using for four-and-a-half years are too new for the program to use. How on earth can that be, when it’s all the same thing I’ve been using right along?

National Geographic Topo! gets closer. The map comes up on the screen, and I see it is suddenly updated with new roads and labels that weren’t there when I looked at them on the old computer (a little distracting), but it also says that it can’t connect with my GPS. Can’t find it through the USB port, so it’s useless, too.

Any ideas what I can do?

- Go to the registry Start>Run/Search>type "regedit.exe" without quotes>Push Enter
In the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>(Wow6432Node)>Garmin
Right click on the Garmin entry (I don't use Mapsource so the registry entry might be called Mapsource instead)
Go to Permissions
Click on each group listed and then check "Full Control" for permissions
Repeat process for HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>(Wow6532Node)>Garmin

If that doesn't resolve the issue (which it should because the error you are getting is that you don't have enough registry permissions) try this:

- First Right click on your Garmin software and Run As Admin

If that fixes the issue, you can secondarily do the process below so you don't have to do this with all your programs. I don't like UAC. Some people might.

- Right click on your Garmin program icon, Properties, Compatibility, Run as administrator

If you want to turn off that admin prompt thing for all programs (it's called UAC) see below.

- Turn off UAC (note the security implications of this is that you will no longer be prompted when programs make administrative changes to your system) http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...nt-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Also, google search shows there may be a Mapsource update needed (might also be why you aren't able to use your maps):

http://www.fixya.com/support/t189368-garmin_windows_vista_issue

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Last edited:
I had the same problem a year ago. I can't find the link on their web-site so just call Garmin like I did and they will talk you through it. It's pretty simple. All it is, is the operating system. Windows Explorer vs Windows 7. You need to make Garmin compatible to your new system.

Last edited:
Paging DougPaul, we have a problem only you can solve ...
Nope--not me. I don't use MS OSes.

The others have given you advice which looks far better than anything I could give you. If that advice doesn't solve your problem, my best suggestion would be to call Garmin tech support...

Note: one of the suggestions involves turning off a security facility. IMO, one should think twice about reducing one's security--the internet is a dangerous place with lots of predators trying to get access to your machine.

Doug

D’oh. I stand corrected. I figured this was a GPS problem, not a Windows 7 problem.

Thanks for the advice on the Garmin, gentlemen. I’ll give it a try when I get home from work.

Now what can I do about getting the Topo! to pick up the GPS? I wondered if maybe it was because I’m probably using a USB 1 cable in a USB 2 port, but that didn’t seem to affect my pedometer data from getting through, so I don’t know.

UAC does not affect internet security in and of itself. It simply prevents the user from doing something that might affect security without their knowledge. Disabling UAC (User Access Control) will not change any other settings. It gets rid of the warning popup. It's more like driving your car without the seatbelt or riding your bike without a helmet...

Tim

Suggest you start with the Garmin reps. They are the best Customer Service reps anywhere. Not sure I'd mess with the registry, though.
Monday is their busiest day, though. You're likely in for a long wait on hold. Unless you're in a hurry, I'd wait until Tuesday to call for a shorter on-hold time. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Yeah, as I mentioned disabling UAC will be a security risk. I find it to be incredibly annoying and intrusive and I use my own anti virus software anyway so I have no problem disabling it on my own systems. YMMV.

You can get around that individually for each application by using the other steps I mentioned under properties>compatibility>run as administrator. That will make it so you don't have to right click and "run as admin" each time.

Start with Run as Admin, if that fixes it you know the problem is UAC and you can make a decision whether you want to right click>Run as admin, or disable UAC for just this one app, or disable it completely for your entire system.

If run as admin doesn't fix it don't do the other steps for disabling UAC because they aren't going to help.

Definitely check your program version and see if that update is applicable in the last link I posted. That could be the reason you are getting errors that your maps won't work with your software.

Hope that helps!

It was a bloody struggle, but Jacob’s advice worked in the end, so thank you very much. I hadn’t updated the Garmin software last night, and the disc was from 2007, so that may have been part of the problem.

I don’t know what I did right with the Topo!, but I eventually got the computer to pick up the GPS and I got the tracks transferred, and after three or four tries, got the track to appear as a hairline rather than a medium-size line. Now if I can just get the program to stop telling me that my three Waypoint names are no good, I’ll be all set.

Anyway, the tracks are on the maps where I want them, so things are looking up. Thanks again.

While we are on the topic, Garmin occasionally issues new USB drivers for their GPSes, available from their website. (The latest seems to be V2.3.1 dated May 11,2012.) I have no idea if a driver update was necessary here, but the updates may be useful to some. I also have no idea if NG TOPO! would use this driver.

Doug

Well, I’m back.

There was trouble with the computer, it kept randomly turning itself off, so H-P had me reformat the hard drive a couple of times, then finally the thing was returned and a new processor installed.

But now I once again can’t get the MapSource or Topo to recognize that the GPS is plugged in and ready to transmit the data. I’ve been through the regedit thing countless times. Often the permissions are grayed out, but they appear to be clicked the way I want them to be clicked, so I think they’re all right.

Garmin sent me an email to supposedly give me some support, but the update just messed up the way the maps appear: instead of each track being represented by a thin line with little dots, they are now thin lines festooned with donuts, which look TERRIBLE. And I still can’t get the tracks to transfer, to either Garmin or Topo.

So now what? Aside from pull the old computer out of the crawl space, I mean.

Are you using the GPS as a USB device (disk drive) or are you using it as a GPS? If the latter, then you will need to install the necessary Garmin software to recognize and manipulate it, i.e., MapSource. If you're merely using it as a USB disk drive, then make sure it is set to USB Mass Storage mode - menu twice, Setup, Interface, and then pick "USB Mass Storage".

Tim

Hopefully helpful ideas

IIRC, you should download the latest (and greatest) software from the Garmin web site first. Both the software for mapquest as well as the latest USB driver should be downloaded.

Before starting any new software install, make a "Restore Point" so if things really go south, you can bring your system back to the "Restore point". (control panel>system>system protection....Click on "Create a restore point right now...)

Download software
Plug in the GPS.
Run installation software.
Restart your computer.

IF your running Win7, press the windows key on your keyboard and type "device m" (without the quotes) This is just a fast way of opening the "RUN" command in 7. This command opens the Device Manager.

Open the "GARMAN Devices" listing. Click on your GPS (It should be listed).
If it has a Yellow !, right click on it to farther troubleshoot the problem. Allot of problems can be ratified by updating the driver.
If it's listed cleanly (with no warning icons) the GPS and the computer are talking to each other properly and the problem is in the software, not the equipment. A "right click" to "properties" will hopefully return a dialog box with the happy words, "The device is working properly." in the Device status box.

If the machine sees the GPS without problems, and the problem still continues, the problem is in the software and Garmin needs to be notified.

Good Luck...Walker

FWIW, I updated Mapsource when I got my GPS and it never worked properly again - it crashed constantly. Garmin support requests went un-answered. I change computers due to an upgrade at work (bought my old laptop) and a reinstall there, WITHOUT the updates works fine.

YMMV,
Tim

Both, I think (in reply to your earlier question, Tim). The saved tracks that appear in a list transfer onto Topo; I use the removable chip to hold the Garmin logs with all the track information, then retrieve them one by one (unless I have only the one track, then I just use the Active Log).

JoeCedar over on the ADK High Peaks forum aided me in discovering that, on the GPS Page, the GPS says Not Connected, even when it is (powered by the computer, making the computer boop and beep when the plug is inserted or removed), so something weird is going on.

But now even Views from the Top isn’t working correctly — hitting + Reply to Thread doesn’t do anything; I have to use the Quick Reply window then click Go Advanced.

Last edited:
Well, this time + Reply to Thread worked.

Anyway, I have my Topo file on the desktop. I clicked on it to open it, Windows said it doesn’t know what program to use to open it. It gives me a list of programs to choose from; Topo is not among ’em.

I navigate my way to Topo, click on the symbol, and Windows refuses to put it on the list, so now the Topo map has a Windows Explorer logo on it.

What a mess.

Why can’t everything be made just a little bit easier for everyone? I mean, why do we pay bloody taxes? I know, you know, so they can put up railings outside shops ...

I just got out the old computer and transferred the information that way.

Checking Devices and Printers on the new computer, it says there are known compatibility issues with the GPS, so it is being blocked from use. So that’s no help.

But while restarting the new computer with the GPS plugged in, the display briefly changed to Connected before reverting to Not Connected once it had reached a certain point in the restart.

Last edited: