New computer, GPS trouble

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to get your GPS saying 'connected' in the setup/connection page on the device. The easiest step is to be sure the correct USB drivers are installed on your computer.

HERE is Garmin's page 'how do I download the USB drivers...' and to make sure Windows is using the right drivers

and HERE is Garmin' latest USB drivers download page

If you cannot start TOPO! from Windows, the simplest approach is to uninstall/reinstall TOPO! Then go in to <view/preferences and settings> and reenter your GPS model, etc. Then, if Garmin says it is 'connected', you should be able access the GPS tracklogs in Mapsource or TOPO!

Thanks. I’ve just had to work two 12-hour days, but when I get home, I’ll give those links a try.

... Although I have tried repeatedly re-installing Topo, and it makes no difference. When I open a map, a message appears that is cut off, but it says something about their updater not working.

Well, still no satisfaction.

Garmin sent me some new drivers, which I couldn’t access, of course, because the computer doesn’t allow connection to the GPS. Then, while copying tracks into the old computer, which I haul out of the crawl space once or twice a week, I realized that I should be able to update the driver through that computer.

Which I did, but the new, Windows 7 computer, still refuses to let me use the GPS.

So someone at Garmin has offered me the chance to trade in my GPS for a refurbished one for $110. Seems like it would be worth doing, as the one I have is in pretty bad shape anyway, the glass is all scuffed up, and the sides are separating. I hate to be without it for any length of time (I anal-retentively record all my walks, around the neighborhood or in the woods), but it would save some sturm und drang if a new one would work.

Have any of you had any experience with trading in your unit like this?

Well, still no satisfaction.

Garmin sent me some new drivers, which I couldn’t access, of course, because the computer doesn’t allow connection to the GPS. Then, while copying tracks into the old computer, which I haul out of the crawl space once or twice a week, I realized that I should be able to update the driver through that computer.

Which I did, but the new, Windows 7 computer, still refuses to let me use the GPS.

So someone at Garmin has offered me the chance to trade in my GPS for a refurbished one for $110. Seems like it would be worth doing, as the one I have is in pretty bad shape anyway, the glass is all scuffed up, and the sides are separating. I hate to be without it for any length of time (I anal-retentively record all my walks, around the neighborhood or in the woods), but it would save some sturm und drang if a new one would work.

Have any of you had any experience with trading in your unit like this?

Yah I had to send one back for flat rate repair-- a Colorado with a flaky wheel control. They are sending me back a unit with a different serial number and I have to go through hoops and hurdles to make it work with the software that is copy-protected by GPS serial numbers.

Pffffft.

They sent me back a refurbed unit with the wrong model number--- inland charts instead of coastal charts....another two weeks delay!