New Gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFTTop'r

Reaction score
I think most of us are gear-aholics. So does anyone have, getting, or seen, any new gotta have cool gear or gadgets hiking stuff for this season to add to the hiking stuff box, closet, or storage garage? ;) :D

While you are at it include a web site (if possible) where items can be checked out.

Last edited:
Spring shopping spree

I am mainly working on losing a few pounds here and there.

I may take my solo tent down from around 3 lbs to 1.5 lbs. I think I'll stick with my BP pack at around 3 lbs and I don't think I can get my synthetic fill sleeping bag much below my current 2 lbs.

I am also taking my pack canoe down from 35 lbs down to 14 lbs, so that should increase my portage range considerably. I hope that boat gets here soon.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/iphrase.jsp?command=text&text=steripen

So far I have used it 4 times. I am keeping track, so I know how many uses I get out of it. I also bought the bottle adapter, and a nalgene colapsable water bottle. My whole water system weighs 10 oz with Lithium batteries! I had to buy a new pump anyway as mine was aging, so it wasn't too hard to convince my wife to spend the extra $$.

So far it has worked well, I have not gotten the runs, and I used it on Monadnock a few weekends ago.

-percious

Percious, have you had a chance to use the SteriPen yet? If so,do you use some other device to remove floating debris? Like the MSR MIOX, I guess I am still a bit apprehensive about field reliability on some of the new inventions. It would be great to hear your results, thanks.

(thanks, looks like you got my answer before I could post, cool)

Last edited:
"I'm sure my wife will be thrilled to learn of my impending upgrade unless someone here can come up with a good reason not to."

Well, a filter does just that...filter and trap the little buggers. The Steripen sounds like it kills the little critters and leaves them in the water. :eek: I guess what you don't see can't hurt ya.

Last edited:
either a Tarp Tent or the MSR Missing link or a combo of 2 other shelter/nests. also something i've been looking at for a while is the Dana Designs Kopressor. its a 3 pt. compression sack that is also a 1000 ci. day pack. the only place i've been able to find it is www.mgear.com.

this is my little bit of bragging...

my college's only 2 well known graduates are a) paul newman's daughter who runs the "newman's own" brand (she also reintroduced the peregrine falcon to acadia national park) and b) the guy who invented the steripen, i think he lives and works out of blue hill, me now.

luke

Tramper Al said:
I am mainly working on losing a few pounds here and there.

I may take my solo tent down from around 3 lbs to 1.5 lbs. I think I'll stick with my BP pack at around 3 lbs and I don't think I can get my synthetic fill sleeping bag much below my current 2 lbs.

I am also taking my pack canoe down from 35 lbs down to 14 lbs, so that should increase my portage range considerably. I hope that boat gets here soon.

What canoe are you getting? I picked up a Hornbeck last year...what a difference in carrying. I hardly notice it on my pack.

pbernard said:
Percious, have you had a chance to use the SteriPen yet? If so,do you use some other device to remove floating debris? Like the MSR MIOX, I guess I am still a bit apprehensive about field reliability on some of the new inventions. It would be great to hear your results, thanks.

(thanks, looks like you got my answer before I could post, cool)

If you look on this page:
http://www.steripen.com/pgs/products.html
you will see the "pre-filter" This is what I use to get the debris out. However, I usually try to get water from sources like mountain springs, and fast moving streams, so the pre-filter is not necessary. I used it last weekend in the whites near zealand pond and I have been fine. My friend got the runs, but I am not sure it is related to the steripen use, because I drank more water from the steripen than anyone on our trip and I am fine.

I have also used the pen in MA near Mt. Race, and have had no ill-effects from that trip, which was more than a couple of weeks ago. My guess is that the source of that water supply was beaver inhabited.

-percious

Peeper

Ken999 said:
What canoe are you getting? I picked up a Hornbeck last year...what a difference in carrying. I hardly notice it on my pack.
Very nice, Ken, the Hornbeck was the other one I considered very seriously. I am getting a Grasse River Peeper, to be delivered 1 week from today. "Where'd I leave my canoe - oops I'm still carrying it." This should be fun.

TA- Cool...keep me posted! These ultralights sure are a pleasure to carry...

petzl mountaineering axe, and new boots!
always exciting...