new Winter 46ers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh-Oh. Now I've done it.

I sent the peaks list in first (not only because it was easy) but because I rec'd a PM about getting onto a list in a book.

I have most of them all written up and will be sending them in very soon.

Neil said:
Oh-Oh. Now I've done it.

I sent the peaks list in first (not only because it was easy) but because I rec'd a PM about getting onto a list in a book.

I have most of them all written up and will be sending them in very soon.

In more ways than one.
Hope the book isn't asking for any reports??

The next edition of the 46-R book will go to print at the soonest in late fall of 2008, therefore there is plenty of time to get all of the 2007/2008 season winter forty-sixers in the member roster.

Christine

Last winter peak

I finished on Hough on a beautiful sunny day with two other finishers.

Ron ;)

iceNsnow said:
I would like to know what peaks people finished on. Is there any record of that?

Thanks Mike!
Inge :)

The finishers I was on *

Thomas Pinkerton on Dial December 27, 1993
*I finished on Seward March 13, 1994.
*John Bolton on Seward March 13, 1994
*Judy and Ellsworth King on Colden February 26, 1995
*Mike Bush on Cascade February 3, 1996
*Vic Pomerville on Macomb January 4, 1997
*Tom Reagan on Allen March 21, 1997
*Barb Harris on Haystack January 15, 1998
*Peg MacKellar on Dix February 18, 1998
*Mike McLean on Dix February 18, 1998
*John Bennett Sawteeth March 11, 1998
*Connie Morrison on Dix on February 20, 1999
*Bill Johnson on Dix on February 20, 1999
*Sally Hoy on Iroquois March 20, 1999
Chris Dresser on Esther January 17, 2001
*Linda Harwood on Big Slide March 2, 2002
*Gary Koch on Cliff February 23, 2002

I believe Seymour Ellis finished on Seymour March 4, 1995
I also believe Wende Grubbs finished on Seymour March 19, 1995

Christine Bourjade and Alex on Redfield February 14, 2004

Marta! Wow!

I can't believe you didn't make my finish?!! :D
It seems like you could have just been there by chance........... :cool:

iceNsnow said:
I can't believe you didn't make my finish?!! :D
It seems like you could have just been there by chance........... :cool:

The Winter of '97- '98 had to be the most memorable one of all, with so many within our group finishing that year. A couple of us finished multiples at the same time OR just a round with a friend. I had been in the best shape of my life climbing every Wednesday and Saturday off from work.

iceNsnow said:
I would have had to finish my W before I even knew about the 46 to get in on your party! :D

It's all quite a story of how we all met but mainly through the Mountains.
To think we didn't know anyone else who climbed, when we first began the Winter Forty Six, in 1992. Then met Barb Harris at a Fall Forty Sixer Meeting, where I was wearing a very unique hand painted shirt of Colden, that caught her eye. We then became friends and started to climb together. Then she introduced us to the Kings and then we became a group of four Winter Climbers in 1993-1995. We met Tom Pinkerton on Tabletop in Winter, while we were doing a favor for Grace, replacing a log book, we became instant friends. On our final peaks the Seward Range, Vic was the Guidance Councelor at High School where my girls attended. (I knew Vic already because he was my 7th grade Social Studies Teacher) My girls told him, what a tough time we were having to finish the Range and our Winter Forty Six. I got the message that Vic and Mike Bush would join and help us. We then became instant friends. Vic then got sick and Mike needed a Winter Partner and asked me to climb ALLEN with him! Wow, that's what it took for us to become partners for like the next fourteen years together. Mike introduced me to Peg and she climbed Allen with us in another Winter Season. We had met Mike M. on Allen and then we became a group of several for Wednesday and Saturday climbs. She met Tom Reagan in the Mountains and we just became climbing companions on a couple of climbs. (not friends) Peg met John Bennett on Rocky Peak and he joined in on our group. Connie and Bill were friends of Mike and Vic from School. Connie was my Gym Teacher in School. Then we became about six of us on a regular basis. Within this group we spent as many years as needed for each in the group to earn their Winter Rocker. Sally a friend of Barb's and then became a friend of mine, through the Mountains. Chris, Linda and Gary were all friends of the Kings and that is how I met them all and climbed with them ALOT throughout the years.
Chris, Linda, Gary, Barb, Judy, Elsie, myself are the Sunday SCUMBAGS group.
(Senior Citizens Underhanded Mountain Baggers Adirondack Geriatric Society)
It was when Mike Bush finished his Winter Forty Six, when his wife designed the Winter Forty Sixer Sweatshirts. She had asked me to bring one up and present to Mike on his finish of Cascade. A couple days later when we had a surprise party she gave me one of the shirts. We then would present them to each in the group as they finished. It was something unique to give. Now they are a very popular item within the Winter Forty Sixers.
Christine and Alex I met through Gary K.

BTW Most of these friendships still exist in my life.

Hope I didn't bore you Inge with this little story.

Last edited:
iceNsnow said:
I would like to know what peaks people finished on. Is there any record of that?

Thanks Mike!
Inge :)

Inge,

There is no complete list of 1st or 46th peaks for Winter 46ers. That would be a good project for a volunteer to do at the Historian's office in Schenectady. At the bottom of the 46er questionnaire is a place to list what conservation activities, etc. that the new 46er would be willing to do. One of the choices is clerical work at the office. I know for a fact that a lot of people check that box. They would have to coordinate with Historian Tony Solomon to be there at the same time. He has a separate file for winter climbers, so compiling the 1st winter peak and date and 46th winter peak would require looking through the climbing lists for around 400 people. If anyone is seriously interested, PM me and I can give you Tony's contact info.

My first winter peak was Porter and my 46th was Iroquois.

Nice choice - Iroquois!

mike1889 said:
Inge,

There is no complete list of 1st or 46th peaks for Winter 46ers. That would be a good project for a volunteer to do at the Historian's office in Schenectady. At the bottom of the 46er questionnaire is a place to list what conservation activities, etc. that the new 46er would be willing to do. One of the choices is clerical work at the office. I know for a fact that a lot of people check that box. They would have to coordinate with Historian Tony Solomon to be there at the same time. He has a separate file for winter climbers, so compiling the 1st winter peak and date and 46th winter peak would require looking through the climbing lists for around 400 people. If anyone is seriously interested, PM me and I can give you Tony's contact info.

My first winter peak was Porter and my 46th was Iroquois.
Hi Mike!
Thanks for the info. I also "picked" Iroquois for my finale!
Not really sure which was my first W?

iceNsnow said:
Hi Mike!
Thanks for the info. I also "picked" Iroquois for my finale!
Not really sure which was my first W?

Didn't you keep a journal of some sort? I never kept a complete written journal of trip reports but have kept accurate Date Journals of every mountain, every date, I ever climbed.

The Albany Library, it used to anyway, allowed you to request a copy of your Forty Sixer Records from them.
One of these days, I am going to try and request both of my daughters files, put it in some sort of book and then surprise them with it.

Last edited:
journals!

Hey Sky!
Yuppers, I have a stash of journals. That way I don't need to keep those kind of stats in my ram.
My husband on the other hand, doesn't keep journals and enjoyed my presenting him w/ his record of the 46. (He probably wouldn't even have known he was "done" if I hadn't told him! :D )