news about pedxing...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pedxing was seriously burned over 50% of his body with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. He will be in ICU for up to 4 months. Ellen, his girlfriend has decided not to give daily updates because the prognosis and hope is different each moment, depending on who she talks to. One thing is for certain, this will be a roller coaster ride for awhile and David is fighting for his life.

I know the thread is long, but please read through the thread twigeater linked to for everything we know about his condition from day one.

Thoughts and prayers are with Pedxing and his family.

I read about Pedxing on the other web site while VFTT was down. I just read a reply he posted over on the thread "Another backpacker death in NH" where he talked re: being a responder to emergencies -- chilling now since this has happened. My thoughts are with him and his family, my hopes are for his recovery!

Laura

I read this on another board. More news about Pedxing.

more news from David's sister...
"I got an update this morning...

[I learned something about what happened in the fire. I wondered why David hadn't gone around to get Ellen's son Jacob and his friend from the back
door, the way the three left the house. Turns out it was bolted from the inside, and David knew he couldn't find the key right away. Also, Jacob had never used that door, so didn't even know to use it.

It also turns out the
boys were awake, watching smoke come in the room through the top of their door, screaming for their mom (who couldn't hear them) - but they'd been
educated enough about fire that they knew to crawl, and to put sheets over their faces to breathe. So that's what they were doing when David burst
through the door, hair aflame. David had gone briefly downstairs when he
saw the fire had gotten out of control, to Ellen to call 911, but he knew
the only way to the boys was through the fire, now grown even more. So
that's where he went.

Ellen says he almost went back in *again,* injured as
he was (and is), to rescue Gorgi, his devoted and wonderful dog, until they
found Gorgi was already outside.

There's supposed to be an article in the Cambridge Chronicle about the fire
tomorrow.

Thanks for all your caring. Every day he's stable or better gives us more
hope. Still, it will be close to 2 months, it sounds like, before he's out
of the woods.]

She also said that David seems to be more and more stable as the days pass.

good news.

David is truly a hero."
AmyG
05:59:04 AM
02/25/04

Thanks.

Thanks for the update. I pass by his house at least once a week, since I live 4 or so blocks away (as I have posted), and I wonder how it got so out of control. He is a great guy. We went through the whole summer meeting, talking and planning hikes without ever actually following through. Once he is better, I plan on being ready to finally get that hike in.

I got an update from Ellen. I thought I would share the news.

Overall, Pedxing seems to be more on a healing trajectory than a failing one. He's had a fever for days and it is finally going down; there was no infection, maybe a virus. He also is acting as though he may be waking, so they are increasing his meds to keep him more sedated as it would not be a good time to wake him.

Ellen warns that his condition could go downhill without notice and she says it's too scary to become her true optimist self.

They move into their new temporary residence soon. Dealing with insurance and contractors looms on her horizon.

Please keep Pedxing and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Cool!

Great news. Seems like he is getting better...fast. I hope to visit him sometime in the near future. Thanks for the updates.