Next Years' Plan

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schatz

Reaction score
VFTT, Thanks for all the great suggestions! Using everyones' advise I hike Skylight/Gray last weekend from the Loj via Lake Arnold in 12 hours. Weather was perfect. I now have the Sewards, Santanonis and marshall/allen/redfield/cliff remaining in addition to my rescheduled Haystack/Basin Trip. I'd appreciate again any thoughts; particularly whether the Sewards or Santanonis are possible on a short day in the spring/fall with limited daylight, as well as an possibility to hike any 2 of the marshall/allen/cliff/redfield group in 1 day. Thanks again for all the help-- Schatz

Schatz said:
VFTT, Thanks for all the great suggestions! Using everyones' advise I hike Skylight/Gray last weekend from the Loj via Lake Arnold in 12 hours. Weather was perfect. I now have the Sewards, Santanonis and marshall/allen/redfield/cliff remaining in addition to my rescheduled Haystack/Basin Trip. I'd appreciate again any thoughts; particularly whether the Sewards or Santanonis are possible on a short day in the spring/fall with limited daylight, as well as an possibility to hike any 2 of the marshall/allen/cliff/redfield group in 1 day. Thanks again for all the help-- Schatz

Schatz,

You do have some tough ones remaining! Hard to advise, not knowing your hiking style or how early you start (days becoming shorter now). Mud and stream crossings may be more of a factor with the recent rains. Also depends upon how much "lingering" time you want. Many of the hikes you list are often grouped together, or can be done separately.
Given the time of year and conditions, I would not recommend all of the Sewards or Santanonis in a day, but perhaps Donaldson/Emmons via Calkins Brook in a day, and Seymour and Seward as separate dayhikes (or as one dayhike) from Blueberry trail would be a possibility. Maybe Santanoni and Panther as one dayhike (Panther in particular is short, from Times Square), and Couchsacraga as a separate dayhike. Cliff and Redfield are often grouped together, but usually with an overnight base camp (we did them each separately as dayhikes). As one dayhike it would be long and tiring. Probably no "two-fers" for Marshall or Allen. Even without Basin, Haystack is long, and daylight is getting short. Remember also that winter conditions exist well into the spring.

Schatz said:
I hike Skylight/Gray last weekend from the Loj via Lake Arnold in 12 hours. Weather was perfect. I now have the Sewards, Santanonis and marshall/allen/redfield/cliff remaining in addition to my rescheduled Haystack/Basin Trip. I'd appreciate again any thoughts; particularly whether the Sewards or Santanonis are possible on a short day in the spring/fall with limited daylight, as well as an possibility to hike any 2 of the marshall/allen/cliff/redfield group in 1 day. Thanks again for all the help-- Schatz

Schatz-You could do Refield/Cliff same way you did Skylight/Gray (that's how we did it) but figure at least as many hiking hours, maybe more. It's slow going on Cliffy.

Marshall is a day, Allen is a day. Santanonis COULD be a seriously LONG day, and I'd say Sewards are a couple of day trips. We did it in a 3-day camp-in at Ward Brook lean to. Unless you have an aversion to camping in, I'd recommend the Santanonis and Sewards as a pack-in, no doubt about it. There are NO "short" days anywhere on that list, unless you are a cheetah!

Your list looks like mine did this year leading up to my finish! The hard LONG ones were left!