NH48 Diretissima North to South 9/19-9/28

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sasquatch said:
Is it much different from last years effort?
Did you complete last year?I was'nt on the sight and am fascinated with this type of trip.

It's the opposite route from last year - Starting on Cabot this year (where I finished last year). Goal is to shave off a day of last year's time. Weather is the key as usual. I'll bring a bit warmer sleeping back since it's 3 weeks later in the year.

Thread from last year: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18132

Also mentioned in the new (2nd) edition of the 4,000-footers of the White Mountains by Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman. In the back of the book with a chapter of oddities etc.

dr_wu002 said:
You're not going to lose this thing in the first 15 minutes of your hike, are you? :p

-Dr. Wu
LOL! Mats, maybe you should duck tape it to your head or ankle like a home arrest device! Better reception up high though, wait tape it to a climbing helmet (safety first). :cool:

its go time

my schedule is pretty flexible not including weekends. let me know where u need company

What a wonderful plan! Have a great time and hope you reach your goal. I admire your style, doing it as a backpack and as self-sufficient as possible. Looking forward to reading about it.

FARMER said:
my schedule is pretty flexible not including weekends. let me know where u need company
The first thing I need to figure out is how to get a ride to the starting point. morning. Staying at BF Thursday night and would need a ride to Mt Cabot TH Friday. Morning. Any volunter? Thanks Mats

Mat's a ride in the evening wood work as well. We could leaving my car at the starting point and have some one meet us on Waumbek, timing would be difficult though.

Jason

I am in total awe of what you are doing. I hope one day to be in that kind of shape. If I tried that kind of trip today, I think both my knees would break and fall off somewhere around the fourth peak.

JasonPatrikz said:
Mat's a ride in the evening wood work as well. We could leaving my car at the starting point and have some one meet us on Waumbek, timing would be difficult though.

Jason
I'll put the post out on the Fall Gathering site also....I assume there will be someone showing up Thursday other than you and me.

I agree with you the best thing would be to have the car at the Starr King Trailhead so we don't need to worry about if someone will pick you up along route 2.

bikehikeskifish said:
All you really need is for some volunteer to take Jason's car there some time during the day...

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Chinoktrail is giving us a ride in the morning. Thanks all of you who offered a ride and logistic solutions. Greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mats

GPS tracking test tonight

Installed the software on my phone yesterday. Basically as soon as I get reception I'll send my latest waypoints to the website which plots them out. It's not very fancy but you'll figure out where I've been. More later on this....

Seems to be working! Very cool. Will it automatically take a reading on some schedule as long as a signal is available?

Juniper said:
Seems to be working! Very cool. Will it automatically take a reading on some schedule as long as a signal is available?

Not sure what you mean "on some schedule"........there are some more fancy software where you can get 3-D images of where I am but it requires top-notch computers. Going with this for now and hopefully it will be useful......the trick is to bring enough battery power......bringing chargers so I can charge where there is an outlet....which is not too many places.....Crawford Notch is a good place to charge for example......

Juniper said:
Yeah, it seems to be lurking but also looks like he's lurking around my old apartment! Hey Mats, I don't even live there anymore!

-Dr. Wu

Good Luck Mats!!!
I'll catch up with you when you get closer to my side
of the mountains.
Should you need anything call me.