NH4K on 1/3 ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Savage

Reaction score
Having sacrificed today to get some FTFC applications processed, I'm looking at Monday as my next hiking possibility. Anyone out there have Monday off and interested in one of the 14 NH4Ks I have left to bag in winter (should I provide the wish list or just let people guess)?

That would be a lot of guessing...what's your wish list? I may be up for something
-vegematic

The Wish List

Here are the 20 I have left.
** I already have a trip planned this winter
* There is an AMC trip this winter that I am considering

Owls Head
Lincoln *
Lafayette *
North Twin
South Twin
Galehead
Zealand
Willey
Carrigain
Osceola **
East Osceola **
Whiteface * - but its on the same day as Jefferson
Isolation *
Eisenhower
Monroe **
Washington
Jefferson *
Adams * - or will do with Madison if conditions/group are good
Madison **
Waumbek

I'm hiking Moosilauke New Year's Day, resting on Sunday and would be ready for any peak on your list Monday. Somebody pick one. :)

I bagged all 48 peaks in 2004 and have now started on my Winter peaks. Hiked Madison Tuesday in below 0 temps and winds gusting to about 60 mph...Fun, Fun, Fun.

Willey and Waumbek would work for me for Monday. Let me know if you'll be doing one of those.
-vegematic

How's meeting at the Highland Center parking lot at 8:00 sound? It's easy to find, and they have restrooms...nice way to start a hike after a 2 hour drive. :)

Edited: It's just a short drive from there to either of the two possible trailheads.

Willey it is

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
How's meeting at the Highland Center parking lot at 8:00 sound? It's easy to find, and they have restrooms...nice way to start a hike after a 2 hour drive. :)

Edited: It's just a short drive from there to either of the two possible trailheads.

It'd be nice to get Willey off the list. I suppose it'll be a lot easier now that the trail has been brushed out. My previous attempt failed because with 8 inches of fresh snow, the trail from Field to Willey was indistinguishable from the fairly open woods in the area.

I would like to carpool if possible, where are you guys coming from?

Would we be able to start later if we did the direct route (from the south)? Does anyone know if that route is even feasible at this time of year?

If you're traveling through the Franconia area early tomorrow morning, make sure to have crampons on your tires too. Freezing rain started around 4 pm and I can still hear it hitting the windowpanes now. I got home at 5 pm with my car totally encased in 1/4-1/2 inch of ice. 30 mph was a good speed. Salters are out and it should warm up tomorrow but back roads may still be dicey early in the a.m.

Waumbek said:
If you're traveling through the Franconia area early tomorrow morning, make sure to have crampons on your tires too. Freezing rain started around 4 pm and I can still hear it hitting the windowpanes now. I got home at 5 pm with my car totally encased in 1/4-1/2 inch of ice. 30 mph was a good speed. Salters are out and it should warm up tomorrow but back roads may still be dicey early in the a.m.

I have a Subaru Impreza AWD w/ 4-wheel ABS and 4 studded Hakapelita 1 snow tires. :D (and a few years experience driving in the slick stuff)

One evening last January I came down through the notch and witnessed several accidents in front of me. I also saw people walking along the road picking up pieces of their cars and trucks...cars and trucks equipped with all-season tires. :eek:

To me, driving on snowy/icy roads with all-season tires is like hiking steep icy trails bare boot, except much more dangerous.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my new jeep is not very good on the slick (they sure don't make them like they used to...) so when I woke up to 1/4 - 1/2 inch of ice I decided not to chance it. Hope you guys had a good hike!
-vegematic

Ok, so even though I spent nearly $30,000 on my truck (6 cylinder, I use it for work and pleasure), the $500 I plunked down yesterday for four new studded tires was worth the investment....Bring on the ice, bring on the snow!
Safe driving everyone......